What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nathan Merritt For Origin 3 ?

Nathan Merritt For Origin 3

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Bazal said:
Grothe has hit form, he's been our best back in a few matches and he's done Origin before...as for Merritts size, I see you haven't met his opposites should miraculously get picked for his one and only Origin in match 3...namely Greg Inglis. Love to see him try and shut the kid down, Inglis makes him look like Roy Bell :lol:

Inglis makes anyone look like roy bell, is there anything to lose for NSW.

Bazal said:
Ben Smith is one of the best defensive centres in the comp, and he has surpassed Tahu in attack this year. But of course, you obviously don't watch league, so you wouldn't know that. I'd take Reddy over Merritt any day if we needed a fullback, although they both defend like spastics on the wing. I notice you neglected to name Inu, which really does give the game away...

Anyway, it's pretty clear that this is a BBSF style gee up, over a similarly mediocre player....

smith is one of those players, that only performs when the team does, Merritt is one of only a few players that can spark individual brilliance contrasting his teams poor performances.

Watch his game, when parra are in the next form slump, his defence against the tigers, was appauling, against souths appauling, amongst other games.

Tommax25

Bench
Rabbitohs2005 said:
My Point is Hunt & Hayne have done nothing this year, and they still get picked, the best players in the positions this year in merritt and bowen get ignored.

If They have been reasonable, sure, but they have done sweet f**k all this season, its a disgrace, if it was someone more deserving like hicks i wouldnt of cared that merritt didnt get selected, same with bowen, had slater got chosen i wouldnt of cared.

There is no way in the world that Robertson is better than Merritt, Merritt would make first grade in every team in the comp, maybe and just maybe bar melbourne, even then its touch and go for anthony quinns spot in the team.
manly: 1:stewart 2:robertson 3:matai 4:bell 5:hicks, wouldnt make it buddy and robertson is much better in the air, has taken plenty of great bombs, which is what I alluded to in my previous "complements manlys kicking game" comment. and merrit is defintely not alot faster than either of those two wingers all 3 are quick but its not like one is overly faster than the other, like bowen would be for example. and I am a manly supporter and would NOT take merrit over robbo and hicks. as for the rest of the comp...

storm: 1: slater 2: Turner 3: King 4: Geyer/Quinn 5:Falou
eels: 1:burt 2:hayne 3:ben smith 4:tahu 5:grothe
penrith: 1:wesser 2: rooney 3: lewis 4:jennings 5:gordon
brisbane: 1:hunt 2:merrit/micheals 3:hodges 4:tate 5:boyd
souths: 1: peachey 2:merrit 3:vagana 4: dunno who else they have 5:hegarty
tigers: 1:hodgson 2:tuakia 3:collis 4:whatirua 5:fitzhenry
cowboys: 1:bowern 2:bowen 3: bowman 4:williams 5:merrit
dragons: 1:morris 2:morris 3:cooper 4:gasnier 5: neigauama
bulldogs: 1: patten 2:el masri 3:tonga 4:millard 5:utai
roosters: 1:that guy 2:merrit 3: monahan 4:Shaun kenny dowel 5:merrit
titans: 1: preston 2:webster 3:rogers 4: 5:walker
warriors: 1:mckinnon 2:crocket 3:martin 4:vatueivi 5: merrit
knights: 1:gidley 2:mcmanus 3:tighe 4:adam mcdogual 5:merrit
sharks: 1:kearney 2:talaupapa 3: pomeroy 4:anderson 5:simmons
raiders: 1: zillman 2:best 3: graham 4: purtell 5:merrit

7 teams could fit merrit in IMO, and im basing this on if I were a suporter of that team would I prefer merrit over the players there and more often than not no I woudl not

haha i don't care how sh*t you think the roosters are, merrit wouldn't be in our full strength starting backline :lol:

named him twice too fool

what did u name SKD for anyway :lol: u said he was sh*t and overrated

Tommax25 said:
manly: 1:stewart 2:robertson 3:matai 4:bell 5:hicks, wouldnt make it buddy and robertson is much better in the air, has taken plenty of great bombs, which is what I alluded to in my previous "complements manlys kicking game" comment. and merrit is defintely not alot faster than either of those two wingers all 3 are quick but its not like one is overly faster than the other, like bowen would be for example. and I am a manly supporter and would NOT take merrit over robbo and hicks. as for the rest of the comp...

storm: 1: slater 2: Turner 3: King 4: Geyer/Quinn 5:Falou
eels: 1:burt 2:hayne 3:ben smith 4:tahu 5:grothe
penrith: 1:wesser 2: rooney 3: lewis 4:jennings 5:gordon
brisbane: 1:hunt 2:merrit/micheals 3:hodges 4:tate 5:boyd
souths: 1: peachey 2:merrit 3:vagana 4: dunno who else they have 5:hegarty
tigers: 1:hodgson 2:tuakia 3:collis 4:whatirua 5:fitzhenry
cowboys: 1:bowern 2:bowen 3: bowman 4:williams 5:merrit
dragons: 1:morris 2:morris 3:cooper 4:gasnier 5: neigauama
bulldogs: 1: patten 2:el masri 3:tonga 4:millard 5:utai
roosters: 1:that guy 2:merrit 3: monahan 4:Shaun kenny dowel 5:merrit
titans: 1: preston 2:webster 3:rogers 4: 5:walker
warriors: 1:mckinnon 2:crocket 3:martin 4:vatueivi 5: merrit
knights: 1:gidley 2:mcmanus 3:tighe 4:adam mcdogual 5:merrit
sharks: 1:kearney 2:talaupapa 3: pomeroy 4:anderson 5:simmons
raiders: 1: zillman 2:best 3: graham 4: purtell 5:merrit
manly: 1. Stewart 2. Merritt 3. Hicks 4. Bell 5. Robertson ( as of next year, since monas is departing, which would put Lyon at Five Eighth, even still now he is ahead of robertson)

7 teams could fit merrit in IMO, and im basing this on if I were a suporter of that team would I prefer merrit over the players there and more often than not no I woudl not

Sharks: Merritt > Simmons
Bulldogs: Merritt > Millard and or Utai
Eels: Merritt > Ben Smith

Dragons Team would be like this

1. Hornby 2. J Morris 3. W Naiqama 4. M Cooper 5. N Merritt 6. Gasnier & So Forth.

So Dragons makes that 4.

Panthers: Merritt > Michael Gordon (his defence is possibly the worst in the NRL, Wallace Can Kick, So Can Merritt)

12 teams out of 16 so far

Roosters Team is way off

1. Minichiello 2. Roberts 3. Joel Monaghan 4. Iosia Soliola 5. Nathan Merritt

14 out of 17.

Tommax25

Bench
Tonearm Terrorwrist said:
haha i don't care how sh*t you think the roosters are, merrit wouldn't be in our full strength starting backline :lol:

named him twice too fool

what did u name SKD for anyway :lol: u said he was sh*t and overrated

my mistake, that first merrit should be amos roberts, who would you have as your roosters line up then? only the backline i dont care about the forwards...........the point of my post in that SKD thread in the roosters forum was to critisise ur fullback not SKD, i think hes pretty good and will improve, I was saying comparing him to ur fullback is demeaning to SKD

haha yeah, the #1 fullback in nsw, someone has a chip on their shoulder

how can merrit be the form winger in the game anyway :lol: hasn't scored a try since round 6 or 7 ... now into round 14

Tommax25

Bench
i didnt say merrit is the form winger of the comp and if you werent referring to me there then I agree.....hes the best fulback in nsw in ur opinon, in mine its stewart and he was in better form b4 origin 1 when he missed selection only because of the experience of the other leading contender which I think is stupid so how does any new player ever get to play origin? why do class players need to pray for injuries to other people so that they can get their deserved shots? (this doesnt just include stewart there are a number of unluckly players out there).......to rabbitohs2005 guy how was my roosters team way off, you onylmade on chnage, and what do u mean 14 out of 17? i had him in 7 teams and u added him into 5 and that makes 12...and what does it matter if monnas is leaving and lyon is at 5/8? that changes nothing i didnt have lyon in my backline there essentially u replaced matai with merrti with positoinal changes no way buddy i MUCH prefer matai his big hits in defence ect. manly have enough attacking spark in stewart, bell and hicks they dont need merrits flair over matais defence....as for the dragons brett morris would play over josh and hornby never plays fullback for them anymore, as for gasnier well i said it was what I would have for my team if i supported them, he showed nothing to me as a 5/8 and is excellent as a centre therefore id leave him at centre....maybe gordon can be switched with merrit but im happy enough with gordon hes a good local junior (i think he is anyway) who should improve in the future...merrits not ebtter than millard but maybe utai depedns what you want in ur team....no to merrit over ben smith.....simmons is a tricky one i could use either not 100% convince about simmons but he seems to go well usually

Mr Saab

Referee
Rabbitohs2005 said:
My Point is Hunt & Hayne have done nothing this year, and they still get picked, the best players in the positions this year in merritt and bowen get ignored.

If They have been reasonable, sure, but they have done sweet f**k all this season, its a disgrace, if it was someone more deserving like hicks i wouldnt of cared that merritt didnt get selected, same with bowen, had slater got chosen i wouldnt of cared.

Listen shyte for brains. This is the Bowen Hunt story.

Rep teams are not soley picked on rounds 1-8 alone of each season.
Past form and reputation comes into, whether you like it or not (clearly not)
Also luck comes into it.....

Hunt was the fullback for QLD in 2006 game 2 and had a fine game in a 30-6 win.
He was also the Australian fullback for the tri nations of that same yr and he was very very good. Hence the selectors see that he can handle the big time games.

Bowen was very unlucky that he had a shocker vs the chooks in 2006 (the test was chosen that weekend and the coach of the chooks and Australia was Stuart) and hence he was not chosen to play for Australia. Hunt was lucky that Minichello was gone with a back injury, Hodsgon was injured and Slater was suspended for his mule kick on Skandalis.
Hunt got his chance that way.

Bowen then got his chance in origin one 2006 (chosen on his form really) and they lost and he didnt have a great game. Hunt was selected for game 2 and he played very well. Thats football.

Now, do you think that QLD were going to drop the incumbent origin fullback for the origin series of 2007? (Clinton Schifcofske was fullback in origin 3 2006, but we all know where he is now) and the Oz fullback and choose Bowen for 2007? I dont think so.

You might want to hand out rep jerseys like what a Mr Bubbles hands out candy to 6 yr olds, but thankfully the closet you will get to becoming a selector is on your XBoc playing the league game.

Now, Dazza62 and his Cowboy cohorts will come in here and say what i wrote is crap, but those are they facts.

Tommax25 said:
i didnt say merrit is the form winger of the comp and if you werent referring to me there then I agree.....hes the best fulback in nsw in ur opinon, in mine its stewart and he was in better form b4 origin 1 when he missed selection only because of the experience of the other leading contender which I think is stupid so how does any new player ever get to play origin? why do class players need to pray for injuries to other people so that they can get their deserved shots? (this doesnt just include stewart there are a number of unluckly players out there).......to rabbitohs2005 guy how was my roosters team way off, you onylmade on chnage, and what do u mean 14 out of 17? i had him in 7 teams and u added him into 5 and that makes 12...and what does it matter if monnas is leaving and lyon is at 5/8? that changes nothing i didnt have lyon in my backline there essentially u replaced matai with merrti with positoinal changes no way buddy i MUCH prefer matai his big hits in defence ect. manly have enough attacking spark in stewart, bell and hicks they dont need merrits flair over matais defence....as for the dragons brett morris would play over josh and hornby never plays fullback for them anymore, as for gasnier well i said it was what I would have for my team if i supported them, he showed nothing to me as a 5/8 and is excellent as a centre therefore id leave him at centre....maybe gordon can be switched with merrit but im happy enough with gordon hes a good local junior (i think he is anyway) who should improve in the future...merrits not ebtter than millard but maybe utai depedns what you want in ur team....no to merrit over ben smith.....simmons is a tricky one i could use either not 100% convince about simmons but he seems to go well usually

I added manly to your post, see monaghan is going to the UK, which means they need a five eighth, if you move lyon to five eighth, then theres a centre spot up for grabs, simply play matai to centre, and merritt will get one wing, hicks the other.

Dave Simmons is dead set the sh*ttest winger in the competition anyone will tell you that.

how can you say no to Millard & Yes To Utai, Utai is better than Millard, but Utai is over-rated, even when not injured, he hasnt been in real form going on 2 years now.

Ben Smith's Defence is Woeful, He doesnt have good individual defence, but when the teams is defending well he will, he is a team player, not the individual type like Merritt, He Reminds me of Shannon Hegarty but a touch better.

he will make at least 12 teams in the comp, everyone else bar melbourne and the titans, would be a close call as well, no one should say otherwise.

I can See The Gold Coast Giving Him A Spot over Webster (even tho in full flight, webster is better, but webster has shown nothing this year, so he would contend that wing with sideshow bob), Chris Walker will get the other one.

mxlegend99

Referee
Rabbitohs2005 said:
Panthers: Merritt > Michael Gordon (his defence is possibly the worst in the NRL, Wallace Can Kick, So Can Merritt)
Sorry mate. Michael Gordon is an exceptional defender. Have you ever watched him play? He would be as fast, or faster then Merritt, is a far better defender, can play centre quiet comfortably, kicks goals, and not a single Panthers fan would trade him for Merritt.

Rooney we would. Michael Gordon? F*ck no.

mxlegend99 said:
Sorry mate. Michael Gordon is an exceptional defender. Have you ever watched him play? He would be as fast, or faster then Merritt, is a far better defender, can play centre quiet comfortably, kicks goals, and not a single Panthers fan would trade him for Merritt.

Rooney we would. Michael Gordon? F*ck no.

Every Game Ive Seen Gordon Play, his defence has been average at best, he must be great in that odd game i seem to miss.

well if you insist, then Merritt would take Rooneys Spot

Tommax25

Bench
Rabbitohs2005 said:
I added manly to your post, see monaghan is going to the UK, which means they need a five eighth, if you move lyon to five eighth, then theres a centre spot up for grabs, simply play matai to centre, and merritt will get one wing, hicks the other.

Dave Simmons is dead set the sh*ttest winger in the competition anyone will tell you that.

how can you say no to Millard & Yes To Utai, Utai is better than Millard, but Utai is over-rated, even when not injured, he hasnt been in real form going on 2 years now.

Ben Smith's Defence is Woeful, He doesnt have good individual defence, but when the teams is defending well he will, he is a team player, not the individual type like Merritt, He Reminds me of Shannon Hegarty but a touch better.

he will make at least 12 teams in the comp, everyone else bar melbourne and the titans, would be a close call as well, no one should say otherwise.

I can See The Gold Coast Giving Him A Spot over Webster (even tho in full flight, webster is better, but webster has shown nothing this year, so he would contend that wing with sideshow bob), Chris Walker will get the other one.

i say otherwise, millards better than utai, hes playing at the dogs and either utai is in PL, injured or was traded somewhere because I havent heard sh*t about utai all year. game over

Sugar

Bench
i really wanted to say yes but i cant do it,his statements pre origin have killed any hope he ever had

Y2Eel

First Grade
Rabbitohs2005 said:
Sharks: Merritt > Simmons
Bulldogs: Merritt > Millard and or Utai
Eels: Merritt > Ben Smith

Dragons Team would be like this

1. Hornby 2. J Morris 3. W Naiqama 4. M Cooper 5. N Merritt 6. Gasnier & So Forth.

So Dragons makes that 4.

12 teams out of 16 so far

Roosters Team is way off

1. Minichiello 2. Roberts 3. Joel Monaghan 4. Iosia Soliola 5. Nathan Merritt

14 out of 17.

Simmons is a better fullback then merrit would wish to be same with ben smith/Millard he is a better centre..

Merrit was bad today when the teams playing well he plays well...(god that could be said about anyone lol)

hineyrulz

Post Whore
LOL at Rabbitoh's 2005. Hayne has done nothing this year :lol: How much footy do you watch????

Latest posts