What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nathan Merritt or Michael Gordon

Who would you prefer in your NSW team?

• Gordon

Votes: 67 68.4%
  • Merritt

Votes: 31 31.6%

• Total voters

ANTiLAG

First Grade

Merrit scooting from dummy half - why would it be a dumb idea? Thats an assertion with no reason. Can Merrit not pick up a ball at the play? Is he physically restrained from doing so?

Here is a dumb idea - losing by 28 points and worrying about goal kicking. Penny for your thoughts - Gidley was selected - he has been nailing them from touch the last two games under pressure. What is Gordon bringing?

As for Barba you think it'd be the first time someone a winger or utility makes origin in a debut season? Its not.

Wake up you arrogant NSW fans. Five series you have lost. You halves are outskilled, your forwards out metered. You need to think of new ideas to win games. The old way is not working. There is no Daley, Fittler, Johns class act to get you out of trouble. You need to get creative. Structured play means you lost by 8-12 points a game. A respectable loss. Or you could try some "dumb" things until something hits. The Qld pack is getting younger and still performing as well if not better than it was 5 years ago. :O Cronk and Thurston will be around for a long time.

When Qld were in dire trouble - they got thinking. Rookies make the team, such as Thurston in 2005 - his first full year of halfback or even starting games. Willie Carne played with stuff all games before origin. Many more names to this list. Players switched to unorthodox positions and unorthodox roles. Some misfired, some hit. Qld always tried. NSW - it would seem youre either just prepared to roll over or keep selecting similar players to perform similar roles. There is a defintion of insanity - trying the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

You may win game 3 in Sydney if the Qld boys party in camp again. But you'll be rolled again next year unless you are prepared to bring something novel into the game. You need to learn how to attack from poor field position with limited half ability (as in halves that cannot defend). Qld even in the dark days of the 90's and early 00's never lost 6 in a row.

I do however feel Bird and Lewis inclusions are a step in the right direction. With halves of limited creativity ball playing ability in the forwards comes to the fore.
But surely I jest....

Last edited:

ANTiLAG

First Grade
I would pick Kevin Gordon over both of them.
Defintely over the other Gordon. Maybe over Merrit. Either would be a step in the right direction.

NSW need to look at players with raw talent
Absolutely spot on! With forwards unable to dominate and halves with limited creativity raw talent comes to the fore because you cannot win a series with structured play. Thus you need raw talent to score points because the forwards and halves will not be controlling the game well enough to ensure a structured game plan produces wins.

That means taking some big risks as "live wire" raw talent is often seen as not being stable or 'solid". Though, players like Thurston and Inglis has shown that live wire raw talent can develop with age to be dependable. Though Slater can arguably still fit the mould of risky - '08 RLWC final.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Yeah....no one consider the selection of Michael Jennings as a factor to have Gordon in the team.

Will they even be playing on the same side of the field? I would assume from the selection numbers Jennings and Morris are on the left... Im sure sure Gordons linking ability with jennings does not extend 50 metres....

Last edited:

no name

Referee
I hope the poll results for this finally put an end for the calls of Merritt to play Origin.
He is simply not good enough.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
I don't think he even knows what he is talking about. Ben Barba made his debut in 08. Plus there is no way in the world he would be picked in any Origin team in any position atm.

I was not aware Barba was a Qld'er. I concede that. Barba played 8 games in the two seasons prior to this one. Barba is pretty much for all purposes a rookie. But facts remains that NSW should really start thinking outside the box unless they want to lose 6/7/8 series straight.

Last edited:

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
For mine Gordon.

Merritt lacks heart.

What is it with the name Gordon.

Michael, Isaac and Kevin are all fast.

What is doing?

Well done Michael, Jennings helped, but I have no issue with this selection.

Galeforce

Bench
Merrit definitely deserves the call up , he has been a consistent scoring machine over the last couple of years , whether souths have been last or now surging towards a premiership.
As for kicking , Nathan is also a more than decent goal kicker, not to mention backup fullback , safe under the highball.
Hec - i only shrug at this treatment .

however i consider Sutton ommission even worse . Sutton , too big , too strong and skillful for a chance at 5/8. wow.unbelievable.

The Tank

Bench
Mundane killed off Merritt's chances. I feel for Nathan but I'm glad he wasn't chosen just to spite Mundane. :) Well done Mick!!!

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Not a public poll, 10 votes for Merritt must be all Souths supporters.

I do rate Nathan, was filthy Cronulla prefered Simmons to him, but Gordon I would pick.

Danish

Referee
Gordon is about as good as Merritt, plus he kicks goals. So the choice between the 2 is a no brainer.

Whether or not either of them is the correct choice for SOO is another matter.

Sleep

Juniors
Gordon is a safe choice. He's good defensively, under the high ball and is a solid finisher. The icing on the cake was probably the fact he can kick goals.

The Jennings thing won't of helped as much as people thing. Jennings plays left, Gordon right. Beau Scott plays right, Brett Morris left.

Then again the NSW selectors board and coaching staff will change that I'm sure.

yobbo84

Coach
Let's see, in 2010:

Nathan Merritt (15 games): 13 tries, 14 linebreaks, 4 line break assists, 2 try assists, 41 tackle busts, 88m per game, 1.2 missed tackles per game
Michael Gordon (14 games): 7 tries, 3 linebreaks, 0 line break assists, 1 try assist, 31 tackle busts, 90m per game, 1.8 missed tackles per game

Further to the above:

NRL Top Try Scorers (2006-2010)
1. Nathan Merritt - 77 tries
2. Brett Stewart - 68
2. Greg Inglis - 68
4. Israel Folau - 67
5. Brett Morris - 59
22. Michael Gordon - 41

It's more than obvious who the better player is. Ridiculous selection.

Latest posts