What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nathan Merritt or Michael Gordon

Who would you prefer in your NSW team?

• Gordon

Votes: 67 68.4%
  • Merritt

Votes: 31 31.6%

• Total voters

jayc2016

Juniors
Let's see, in 2010:

Nathan Merritt (15 games): 13 tries, 14 linebreaks, 4 line break assists, 2 try assists, 41 tackle busts, 88m per game, 1.2 missed tackles per game
Michael Gordon (14 games): 7 tries, 3 linebreaks, 0 line break assists, 1 try assist, 31 tackle busts, 90m per game, 1.8 missed tackles per game

Further to the above:

NRL Top Try Scorers (2006-2010)
1. Nathan Merritt - 77 tries
2. Brett Stewart - 68
2. Greg Inglis - 68
4. Israel Folau - 67
5. Brett Morris - 59
22. Michael Gordon - 41

It's more than obvious who the better player is. Ridiculous selection.

Says it all really. But look the problem is the selectors, not Nathan. The NSW prototype player does not score points or attack.

cornerposter

Juniors
Let's see, in 2010:

Nathan Merritt (15 games): 13 tries, 14 linebreaks, 4 line break assists, 2 try assists, 41 tackle busts, 88m per game, 1.2 missed tackles per game
Michael Gordon (14 games): 7 tries, 3 linebreaks, 0 line break assists, 1 try assist, 31 tackle busts, 90m per game, 1.8 missed tackles per game

Further to the above:

NRL Top Try Scorers (2006-2010)
1. Nathan Merritt - 77 tries
2. Brett Stewart - 68
2. Greg Inglis - 68
4. Israel Folau - 67
5. Brett Morris - 59
22. Michael Gordon - 41

It's more than obvious who the better player is. Ridiculous selection.

There you go. Merritts snubbing is a joke.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
NSW selection policy has become a joke.

There is no policy. Sure they used to go with tall fast outside backs and that worked when King, Gasnier, Cooper, Lewis, Rooney (*shudder*) were in form and available and Hayne was not fullback. This policy transformed with emphasis of big boys in the backline. But Michael Gordon is not even big. If forced to play a good small player - why not go for the best small player?

I have no issue at all with coaches selecting big guys over little guys. 2 players of equal ability and fitness - sure the coaches want the bigger guy in their team.

But there comes a point where the skilful little man must trump the unskillful bigger guy. But when the unskilful player is not even that big......

Why not Kevin Gordon?

Galeforce

Bench
the selectors should be sacked for ignoring and not giving Merritt a chance.
given this is a dead game from series point of view to continue to ignore Merritt is not excuseable. In past , when Merritt was not selected , he was advised to bide his time. I could understand picking Hayne or Morris brothers ahead of Merritt ,
HOWEVER to pick Monaghan in Origin 2 and now a blowin like Gordon
well this is either SHALLOW PRIDE due to the MAN stating that Merrit should be selected --- if so SWALLOW your pride and NSW selectors should be man enough not to ignore a the right selection just because THE MAN said so.
SACK em unforgivable blight of a selection.

SACK McCarthy , i am sorry to say , he has become senile allowing this to happen. as for the Daley and the coach , they are useless selectors/strategist as NSW game history now shows.

as for objective of protecting Pearse by choosing Trent , strike me lucky-- the man for 5/8 was Sutton. Why would he not be given a chance . I will tell you why , this is a Daley / Pearse and Foxtell conspiracy not only to groom and take care of son pearce , however to groom Trent as future foxtell presentor with , credentials of ex NSW Origin captain and also NOT to given Sutton a chance to impress , which would make the role his , so the Foxtell/ Roosters connection trying to hold Sutton out to give Carney first crack next year. WHY else?

Anyway , my prediction

Souths will drive end of year to Grandfinal , hopefully premiership , and Sutton
will definitely spearhead this.

Australian selectors will be hardpress to ignore Sutton for pivot after grandfinal and NSW selectors will be shown up as the lackeys and fool they are.

Souths slaughtered Panthers a couple of weeks back , lost to Manly due to back to back excellent field goal drives , slaughtered Tigers a month or so ago , beat Melbourne with all their star players in a tight game last week.
now explain to me NSW origin players NONE , Penrith 3?

Galeforce

Bench
Souths highest tryscores in 2009 and running so in 2010 , cannot get a back into NSW origin -- blight on the NSW selectors for ignoring Merrit , Sutton and Champion ( with Champion the only one i could forgive , if other two were selected). to ignore all three ,

GO QLD! i will be cheering for 50

gronkathon

First Grade
2005 Only Prince picked to tour from the premiership side. No Origin players the following year.

Premierships do not counteract bias in selections

Doomednow

Bench
I'm starting to get the impression that the only games shown in Redfern are the ones where the rabbits win, judging by all this outrage and disbelief by the Souths fanboys.

Galeforce

Bench
well i know that the only form other fans think about re Souths , are the games they have lost in past. Any wins considered a flook

Well not anymore , and i expect and hope this steels Souths players backbones and they go on a business end rampage!
##ck them all , bury their reputations , including the commentors!

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Galeforce - if your club side's players do not make origin or test teams - their percevied value is less. Thus the club has to pay them less. Therefore, they can be kept under the cap longer.

Merrit overlooked for Kevin Gordon makes more sense than Michael Gordon. Michael Gordon's selection I do not understand at all. Some fools say Jennings combo - but they will be playing on opposite sides of the field I would assume. I hear your point of view Gale force. However, I am not so sure Sutton is the answer opposed to Soward. Either way Barrett is clearly not the solution.

NAS

Juniors
Merritt and Gordon are very different players. Gordon is your ultra consistent always where he should be, put in 100% winger....Merritt's a freak, can do things that no other player, let alone winger can do. But he's a relaxed kind of player too. Will only put in when he has to.

the question is, will Merritt put in for NSW, coming off his own line, chasing the kick which looks likely to go over the dead ball line? The problem is that he's never had the opportunity to show otherwise........I tend to think, that in the big games he probably would make that extra effort. But how does one know for sure...??

It's perhaps interesting that the best performance by a NSW winger in the last 5 or 6 years came from a bloke who was in a similar position to Merritt, being Hazem El Masri (how this bloke never played more than one origin is the true disgrace!)

And this is coming from a souths supporter.

mxlegend99

Referee
Let's see, in 2010:

You forgot:

Tackles:
Michael Gordon - 131 tackles - avg. 9.36 (with 1.8 missed)
Nathan Merritt - 83 tackles - avg. 5.53 (with 1.2 missed is less effective)

Errors:
Michael Gordon - 13
Nathan Merritt - 16

Hit Ups:
Michael Gordon - 28
Nathan Merritt - 14

Offloads:
Michael Gordon - 11
Nathan Merritt - 4

The Souths and Panthers play extremely different brands of football and Michael Gordon is used up the middle at the Panthers taking pressure off the forwards. Despite having the harder workload he is still averaging more metres per game according to your stats.

On paper it might not look as pretty as having tries and linebreaks. But the results are extremely effective with the Panthers scoring more points then any other team... they're just spread evenly through the side.

For an example of his work just look at the try he scored against Manly. He took a hitup for us and pushed forward a few metres. As he slowed down he got the offload away and the ball spread out to our wing for Luke Lewis to kick it back to the centre of the field where Michael Gordon was backing up to score next to the posts. About 60 metres and a few seconds after taking his hitup.

He's the safer option in State of Origin. He's a stronger defender, he doesn't need to break the line to make metres and he's a great goal kicker.

Galeforce

Bench
bluey , what a throwaway nonsense line , due to you seeing one bad game from Merritt. please let me know which games Merritt "let in" more tries , when he scored 1 or more tries this year ?

also given the last origin game , letting in 4 and scoring 2 , would have been a major improvement on the NSW side, lol

Latest posts