What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nathan Merritt

God-King Dean

Immortal
The numbers are there?

JVLFiHR.gif

Imagine Merritt way out on the right marking Boyd. That leaves Morris marking Inglis, Slater plus Thurston on his own. Somebody had to come in there much earlier and attack Thurston, but Pearce and Lewis are standing back on their heels. It doesn't help that Pearce and Lewis are drawn by the decoy here too, leaving the outside men fending for themselves.

Merritt was told to rush up on Inglis. Still not the right choice here, but if that was the plan then obviousl cover from behind was part of it too and cover made it in behind, there should be no excuse for Boyd to push off Dugan and Pearce so easily.

Merritt shouldn't play another Origin, but lets not scapegoat him for other players who shouldn't wear the shirt again either

:lol: Are you f**king geniused?

gronkathon

First Grade
"I'm not too sure what it is, maybe it's a Souths thing or it's a racial thing
"They don't like indigenous players coming through the representative ranks."

-Nathan Merritt.

I wasn't aware that bog average footballer was a race. I should line up for some government benefits if it is because I am shit

BranVan3000

Coach
"I'm not too sure what it is, maybe it's a Souths thing or it's a racial thing
"They don't like indigenous players coming through the representative ranks."

-Nathan Merritt.

Merritt should have been picked when he was a younger, better player. Even Merritt had conceded his time had passed before this game.

BranVan3000

Coach
I am coming off a bit biased for Merritt, I think he had a shit game. the point I'm making is, his inside men did little for him and he ended up being the butt of the joke in a bad performing team. Probably the worst kind of game to debut in, cauldron atmosphere with Queensland completely dominating every facet of the game

Springs

First Grade
If people don't remember, in game 1 Ferguson came in leaving a huge gap and was only saved by Morris taking Boyd over the sideline. Then he backpedaled and slipped over for Boyd to score his try.
Merritt is only the last in a long line of wingers and centres made to look silly by Inglis. It includes Gasnier, Turner, Hayne, Morris, Jennings, Monaghan, Wolfman, Lyon, Tahu, Scott, Uate and Ferguson.

Joker's Wild

Coach
I agree he made a bad read, but you can even see in that gif how much room Thurston has, how many options our defence is letting him take. Inglis, Boyd, Slater. Nobody is pressuring the man with the ball, just waiting for the pass so they can pressure the next guy. That was the major difference to game one. We terrorised Smith, Cronk and Thurston in game one. I've never seen those players play as poorly as they did in game one because we cut their decision making time down.

Merritt looks like the idiot on the end of these plays, but the whole group failed.

Yeah, you said that before and I dont agree. The play was covered if Nathan had stayed on his man and your gif backs it up.

Aragorn

First Grade
feel sorry for Merritt.

Daley, should uppercut yourself if you did tell him to rush in.

dogslife

Coach
I am coming off a bit biased for Merritt, I think he had a shit game. the point I'm making is, his inside men did little for him and he ended up being the butt of the joke in a bad performing team. Probably the worst kind of game to debut in, cauldron atmosphere with Queensland completely dominating every facet of the game
Please stop blaming the blokes inside him for his garbage performance, surely only the most delusional of Souffs fans think Morris and the halves were to blame for Merritt not being able to stay on his man.

Put the rubber stamp on him Loz - Never to play origin again

firechild

First Grade
The biggest problem is (and the gif confirms it) all the NSW players were sliding across towards the wing and Merrit bucked the trend and came up and in. Not only did it expose the wing, it forced Morris to cover 2 players which he obviously wasn't prepared for.

Raider_69

Post Whore
That Gif the is the most damning evidence on Nathan Merritt one could have hoped to conjure up. Absolutely disgusting work. As soon as the pass went, Moz slide straight off and onto Inglis and would have been in his face as soon as he touched the ball. Now Inglis might have brushed him off and scored himself but that would be then on Josh Morris

As a winger, you have simply got to trust the guy to make that tackle. Instead he didnt, and came rushing in for no reason, and it resulted in a try. Merrick, what a f**king clown

SaraSassypants

Juniors
Just looking back on Game 1 and I really do think it was Daley's game plan to jam in on the centre. These are of Blake Ferguson in Game 1. Regardless, Merro still shouldn't be there Game 3 and Daley needs to change his game plan.

py7i.jpg

Fergo ends up being 3 in from the wing.

6mqr.jpg

Fergo rushes up on Inglis (Too late mind you) and he passes to Tate.

Danish

Referee
The 1st example you've shown is a perfectly executed jam play. Morris knew Fergo was coming in on Inglis and as such slid to the winger, taking him into touch. This is completely at odds with Merritt's gumby effort, as Morris was already committed to Inglis so Merritt should have stayed on his man.

In the 2nd example Fergusson only "rushes" inglis during the Boyd try after it is clear he had already beaten Morris.

See how in the pic where Ferguson is committing to Inglis you can see morris grabbing for air BEHIND Inglis? Thats a pretty much universal sign to any winger that its time to try and cover the centre, knowing full well that you aren't likely to get him and the end result is almost certainly going to be a try in the corner.

Ferguson is only coming in as a last ditch effort to at least force the last pass to the winger, in the hopes they botch it somehow (pass goes behind the man/forward, winger fumbles it, etc).

SaraSassypants

Juniors
The 1st example you've shown is a perfectly executed jam play. Morris knew Fergo was coming in on Inglis and as such slid to the winger, taking him into touch. This is completely at odds with Merritt's gumby effort, as Morris was already committed to Inglis so Merritt should have stayed on his man.

In the 2nd example Fergusson only "rushes" inglis during the Boyd try after it is clear he had already beaten Morris.

See how in the pic where Ferguson is committing to Inglis you can see morris grabbing for air BEHIND Inglis? Thats a pretty much universal sign to any winger that its time to try and cover the centre, knowing full well that you aren't likely to get him and the end result is almost certainly going to be a try in the corner.

Ferguson is only coming in as a last ditch effort to at least force the last pass to the winger, in the hopes they botch it somehow (pass goes behind the man/forward, winger fumbles it, etc).
I thought Merritt did ok for the first try that he was responsible for. It was the one in the second half where he looked like a gumby. In any event it's clear that QLDs game plan is to go down that corner as they've now scored 3 Boyd tries that way and could've been more. Merritt being there or not it's still going to happen and Daley is coaching his wingers to expect it. Merro just doesn't execute it that well.

Springs

First Grade

Ferguson came in because Morris came in. It was still a poor read by both. It's just lucky Morris recovered. Don't try and pass it off as some brilliantly executed set play for NSW when it wasn't. Ferguson was left in no man's land grasping at air.

In the 2nd example Ferguson didn't rush Inglis. He backpedaled and slipped over. Awful defence by both Morris and Ferguson in that instance.

Knightmare

Coach
There was another Aboriginal Souths winger named Graham Lyons who played all 3 games for NSW in the 1990 series, and didn't bugger it up...