What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nathan Tinkler relinquishes ownership of the Newcastle Knights

BunniesMan

Immortal
Yeah, contrary to what idiots like BunniesMan thinks he is actually a huge Knights and Rugby League fan. He was handing the Knights money for years before ownership even came up simply because he was a fan of the team.

I'm all for people here who have never met the bloke continuing to act like he's Hitler incarnated but at the end of the day he's saved a town's soccer club (and he really did - the Jets were goooooonnneee) and has also pumped a lot of money into the Knights knowing full well he wouldn't get anything in return.

Wow. You're deluded. I was deluded 4 years ago. But after all this for you to still think Tinkler is a good guy with good intentions. Look at what he's doing to the Knights. How much more do you need to see before you're convinced?

Noname36

First Grade
Wow. You're deluded. I was deluded 4 years ago. But after all this for you to still think Tinkler is a good guy with good intentions. Look at what he's doing to the Knights. How much more do you need to see before you're convinced?

The fact that you think I'm delusional gives me a nice shot of confidence that I'm not. If you agreed with me then id start worrying.

eozsmiles

Bench
Yeah, contrary to what idiots like BunniesMan thinks he is actually a huge Knights and Rugby League fan. He was handing the Knights money for years before ownership even came up simply because he was a fan of the team.

I'm all for people here who have never met the bloke continuing to act like he's Hitler incarnated but at the end of the day he's saved a town's soccer club (and he really did - the Jets were goooooonnneee) and has also pumped a lot of money into the Knights knowing full well he wouldn't get anything in return.

Yep, it's been reported (but not always remembered) that when Tinkler made his very first overtures about taking over the club, the Knights owed him plenty of money. He had given loans with pretty loose requirements about repayments on more than one occasion (along with others such as the Newcastle Jockey Club), and had stated publicly that the Knights wouldn't die while he was around. He'd already shown he was volatile through his racing operation, but the knights had something of an unofficial security before he took over.

This also led to one of the first times many people would have seen his hard side, because when Burro rejected the first takeover offer (around $3 million from memory, a fraction of the final deal), Tinks threatened to call his loans in and reminded the directors that they were personally liable for the club's overdue tax bill. He came back a bit later with a much better offer, Burro fell on his sword, and the ball was rolling.

I have no respect for his treatment of the average worker with the late payments and the Patinack Farm scam, but your final sentence is spot on. The club were already indebted to him and they wouldn't have any of their flash new toys (coaches/players/facilties) without him. He got into this thing knowing he'd get nothing but a pat on the back, and if he still had a billion in the bank we wouldn't be talking about any of it.

HSG passed an independent audit at the end of 2013 on the running of the knights so I don't see how it's possible for the knights to have 20m in debt unless this was all run up in the last 3 or 4 months

Noname36

First Grade
Yep, it's been reported (but not always remembered) that when Tinkler made his very first overtures about taking over the club, the Knights owed him plenty of money. He had given loans with pretty loose requirements about repayments on more than one occasion (along with others such as the Newcastle Jockey Club), and had stated publicly that the Knights wouldn't die while he was around. He'd already shown he was volatile through his racing operation, but the knights had something of an unofficial security before he took over.

This also led to one of the first times many people would have seen his hard side, because when Burro rejected the first takeover offer (around $3 million from memory, a fraction of the final deal), Tinks threatened to call his loans in and reminded the directors that they were personally liable for the club's overdue tax bill. He came back a bit later with a much better offer, Burro fell on his sword, and the ball was rolling.

I have no respect for his treatment of the average worker with the late payments and the Patinack Farm scam, but your final sentence is spot on. The club were already indebted to him and they wouldn't have any of their flash new toys (coaches/players/facilties) without him. He got into this thing knowing he'd get nothing but a pat on the back, and if he still had a billion in the bank we wouldn't be talking about any of it.

Yep. Totally agree with all this. Like you I don't have much respect for the reported way Tinkler goes about a lot of his business but the people obsessed with death riding him and hoping for him to lose everything seem to be forgetting that he's done a lot of great things for the Newcastle community too. He's a very big Knights fan so I doubt he's trying to intentionally screw the club over.

Last edited:

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Alright so tinkles loves the knights but I still can't figure out why they can't make money.

Attendance is great.
Merch sales great.
One team town in a league mad city.
There can be no excuses. Someone has been bleeding this club.
A leagues club is crucial.

But can someone explain where the f**ken money is disappearing to?

undertaker

Coach
Wow. I was deluded 4 years ago.

619215-nathan-tinkler.jpg

undertaker

Coach
Alright so tinkles loves the knights but I still can't figure out why they can't make money.

Attendance is great.
Merch sales great.
One team town in a league mad city.
There can be no excuses. Someone has been bleeding this club.
A leagues club is crucial.

But can someone explain where the f**ken money is disappearing to?

Attendance has been a little bit down over the past season due to the increase in ticket prices. Whoever is setting the ticket prices is one greedy......anyways, not only were the ticket prices increased, but category 1 was extended to include the bays between the 10m line or so of both ends. In fact, the ticket prices were supposed to decrease when the new western grandstand was built.

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Attendance has been a little bit down over the past season due to the increase in ticket prices. Whoever is setting the ticket prices is one greedy......anyways, not only were the ticket prices increased, but category 1 was extended to include the bays between the 10m line or so of both ends. In fact, the ticket prices were supposed to decrease when the new western grandstand was built.

Yes ticket prices are f**ken disgraceful 100% agree.
But the slight drop in attendance is made up for in the price rise so the money coming in stays relativity the same or even increases.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.nrl.com.au/nrl-statement-on-newcastle-knights-/tabid/10874/newsid/78502/default.aspx

NRL statement on Newcastle Knights

7:17pm Fri 16th May, 2014

The NRL said it would take whatever action is necessary to protect the players and staff of the Newcastle Knights whose wages had not been paid today.

The NRL learned today that Newcastle Knights, controlled by Nathan Tinkler's business group, had failed to pay the salaries of at least 20 staff and players.

"The NRL will take whatever action is necessary to protect the Knights, the game and, most importantly, the players and staff as a result of these actions," NRL CEO, Mr Dave Smith, said.

NRL Head of Club Services, Mr Tony Crawford, said: "The actions of the Tinkler-controlled Knights towards players and staff are completely unacceptable and will not be tolerated.

"The NRL has demanded that the situation is rectified immediately because there is no place in our game for this kind of behaviour.

"The NRL will be assessing all options to bring this to a resolution in the interests of the Knights, staff, our fans and the broader Rugby League community."

The NRL said it would not speculate on what those options might include.

Noname36

First Grade
3 years ago, you'd think they'd be the least likely.

Bennett might be heading home soon.

If we lose Bennett we lose Bennett. Tinkler needs to go. Footy has been a sideshow for us since Tinks took over and we're never going to be fully focused on footy until he and the uncertainty surrounding him is gone. Sure we'll probably be in poverty again but at least people got paid then.

Latest posts