What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nathan Tinkler relinquishes ownership of the Newcastle Knights

Swarzey

Bench
I just hope this financial instability doesn't force any of our youths to look elsewhere. I feel we're on the verge of something pretty special at the club, we've got some of the most talented youths coming through and I'd hate to see them leave out of pure fear that the club isn't doing so well.

It's hard to believe and I may be thinking a bit too much, but I'm pretty sure Bennett will leave, Boyd will follow and perhaps a few more and I'd be more than happy to see them go to retain a select few.

Puts private ownership of NRL teams back a few years.

I have to disagree. I think it can still work, we just picked a complete merkin to privatise our club and it's blowing up in our face.

Perth Red

Post Whore
All I can think is the Knights can't attract the corporate sponsors as crowd wise and fanbase they'd be up there with the top 5 teams.

These quotes are in this thread from nearly 2 years ago. I was right all along. And this was a time when the majority of opinion was pro-Tinkler and being anti-Tinkler was being very brave and insightful.

My gut instinct was spot on. I saw it back in 2012. Pity it took some people a lot longer.

Agreed,Robbie Tew was right all along.

These quotes are in this thread from nearly 2 years ago. I was right all along. And this was a time when the majority of opinion was pro-Tinkler and being anti-Tinkler was being very brave and insightful.

My gut instinct was spot on. I saw it back in 2012. Pity it took some people a lot longer.

If you offer up an opinion on a daily basis for 5 years eventually you have to get one right.

Nightward

Juniors
Yeah. To be honest, a mining magnate billionaire would seem to be about the safest you could get for a single person owning a club by themselves, given that a billion dollars is a crazy amount of money and mining was in a boom cycle.

In hindsight it may not have been the greatest idea, but at the time it was apparently going to be at least as good as what had happened with the Rabbits, very probably better.

Canard

Immortal
Scumbag.

Where are all the Tinkler sycophants who argued for months about what a hero the guy was? Especially "Are You A Tradie" Spot On.

It's clear that this has been affecting the teams on field performance, which than has an impact on the entire code.

The NRL need to takeover the club immediately.

Last edited:

El Diablo

Post Whore

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...n-with-100m-knights-offer-20110117-19u42.html
Surely if the Knights are braindead enough to knock this offer back then the NRL should never give them any financial help ever again like they did a year or two ago. And we should never not raise the salary cap just for their sake.

This is a no brainer. Surely it's a given that they accept? Thoughts?

Because the size of the losses an NRL team makes, even when their significant for a club, are a drop in the ocean compared to what people like Tinkler make. And they'll be far outweighed by the satisfaction he'll get from trying to turn them into a champion team. Rich people don't buy sporting clubs as a financial investment, it's not for the money, it's for the personal satisfaction, and the glory of winning trophies.

How do I know? Because of common sense. Tinkler has the money to take care of the Knights properly and why wouldn't he. Why would he buy the Knights in the first place just to keep them mediocre. It certainly isn't a financially based decison, it's an emotional one. From what I've heard Tinkler loves the Knights the way Crowe loves Souths, so I'm sure he'd do whatever it takes to make them great.

And it's not as if the Knights are falling over themselves with options. They're not in a great place on or off field, off field they might only be better than Cronulla. I don't see any other rich people offering to buy them. If Tinkler doesn't raise his offer the Knights just get deeper into debt until they have no choice but to accept his offer.

Do you really believe that he wouldn't put any more money into the club? So he's going to spend millions just so they can get along by the skin of their teeth while being continuously mediocre. Look at Souths for an example, the owners financial commitment doesn't begin and end with the money they initially buy the club with.

Tinkler isn't buying this club as a financial move, some financial adviser somewhere is crying at the thought of him buying the club. The guy loves the Knights, if you give him the opportunity he'll give the club everything they need to be one of the best clubs in the league. To get stuck up on a figure as meaningless as the 10m buyout, is beyond ridiculous.

Noname36

First Grade
I just hope this financial instability doesn't force any of our youths to look elsewhere. I feel we're on the verge of something pretty special at the club, we've got some of the most talented youths coming through and I'd hate to see them leave out of pure fear that the club isn't doing so well.

It's hard to believe and I may be thinking a bit too much, but I'm pretty sure Bennett will leave, Boyd will follow and perhaps a few more and I'd be more than happy to see them go to retain a select few.

I could care less if Boyd left but the ones I'm worried will leave if Bennett does are Clydesdale and Mamo. Bennett loves them and they're our future. They need to be priorities over worrying about Boyd and Gidley. The ones we need to retain are them, the halves, the centres, Scott and Snowden. I'd like to keep Sims and Tapine too because I think they have huge futures in front of them. Everyone else we can replace. I just hope someone at the club knows who is important and will make them the priorities through this.

After skimming back through this thread...........the bigger question to be asked is........Where is Silent Knight and Chicken Hunter, will they show up chowing down on humble pie? or will they still have their heads firmly planted up their arses :lol::lol::lol::lol:

BunniesMan

Immortal
So 3 years ago I was wrong like everyone else. But I figured him out years before most did.

I've always said the Knights are in no danger. They won't die, they won't come close to dying. They might not be able to do all the pie in the sky grand things Tinkler promised but that was never reality. They'll be a good solid football club for the forseeable future. Without that scumbag fatman owning them they'll be easier for neutrals like me to support.

Mr Spock!

Referee
After skimming back through this thread...........the bigger question to be asked is........Where is Silent Knight and Chicken Hunter, will they show up chowing down on humble pie? or will they still have their heads firmly planted up their arses :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Oh yeah that's right.

Nobody pays tradies.

Mr Spock!

Referee
NRL steps in as Newcastle Knights players remain unpaid

The Newcastle Knights are in turmoil with owner Nathan Tinkler's business group advising the NRL they would not invest further funds into the club until the current ownership dispute was resolved. Tinkler failed to pay the salaries of at least 20 Knights staff and players on Friday and the NRL has vowed to take action.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/may/16/newcastle-knights-players-remain-unpaid

How is not paying the players going to settle the ownership dispute?

Why is Tinkler still hanging on?

Edit:

Jets players are still getting paid.

Last edited:

Noname36

First Grade
NRL steps in as Newcastle Knights players remain unpaid

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/may/16/newcastle-knights-players-remain-unpaid

How is not paying the players going to settle the ownership dispute?

Why is Tinkler still hanging on?

Edit:

Jets players are still getting paid.

I think he thinks that if he can play hard ball with the Knights board (I.e. Not pay people) they'll fold and do what HSG want to do.

That or Tinkler sees the writing on the wall and doesn't want to put any more money into a club he won't be in charge of soon.

Burwood

Bench
Why do clubs even pay the players' wages? Just be done with it and let the NRL deal with all contracts- leave the support staff and other stuff to the clubs.

ShaiGuY

First Grade
What are the details of the guarantee? Is that still in place? If not the Knighta should have called on it months ago...