What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nathan Tinkler withdraws Knights offer

perverse

Referee
guarenteeing that we'll make $2,000,000 less than we currently do is not securing the financial future of the club.

a deal that guarenteed we'd earn $3million more a year did a $5million backflip practically over night and you haven't caught up yet. that is - it went from +$3mill a year to -$2mill.

i've said before i don't care if Tinkler puts his own money in, and i don't. what does matter is that the clubs income must be guarenteed to increase significantly, on paper. the incentive needs to be there. if Tinkler wants to include ticketing and corporate hospitality in the guarentee, then put the figure at $15mill a year. there needs to be incentive to grow the club on paper, plain and simple.

the deal was a furphy, B-dos. accept that and move on. you're making yourself look really f**king stupid, and the whole LU community is watching.

B-dos

Referee
One party walked away because the other party had the hide to highlight to the current owners of the club (the members) that there were massive gaping holes in the offer and that it differed to the offer that was originally judged to be the best offer at the time?

He walked away before they could even meet today. That is how immature your hero is B-dos.

he walked away because he no longer wants to negotiate with burraston and tew. that says it all really

however, im not that one eyed that i dont agree tinkler could have gone along with it and got the deal through although im fairly certain there is more to this than we know at present and he has quite literally had enough of being farked around by the inept dopes we have in charge

burraston coming out and speaking ill of tinkler in the media over the snowden incident is a clear case of this fool biting the hand that is about to feed us for a long time....

Karmawave

Bench
I'm not sure where I sit with all of this just yet ( yep a fence sitter for now ), but gut feeling says the Knights have made a mistake.

Though, for the people questioning Tinkler's integrity, sit back a minute here and understand all of these throwaway lines today by Tew/Burro bout this Patrons Trust is as big a load of tripe as anything else.

Firstly, a couple of weeks ago, Robbie Tew himself said: “The Tinkler Group offer is a superior offer to the patron’s trust model,” Tew said.

http://www.theherald.com.au/news/loc...s/2052348.aspx

Where does this now leave Robbie Tew's integrity? How can we seriously believe the Patrons Trust is better? We can't, and anyone who does is either anti Tinkler or living in fantasy land.

After all, let's face it, for all intents and purposes, Robbie Tew and the Knights were prepared to sit down at 2pm today in order to nut out a deal - because lets face it, they both know that the Tinkler offer was still the superior offer - even if there were concerns over the Tinkler offer having changed. This was as late as this morning. So why play the Patrons Trust model card like they don't care Tinkler has pulled out - its laughable. They care alright.

I found the press release last night from the Knights bemusing at best, and cannot understand why they would release such a public display of embarrassment against Tinkler. These negotiations didn't have to become public and should never have been. Both sides have played this out in the media from day dot - an absolutely stupid way to do business.

I don't blame Tinkler for pulling the pin after the Knights embarrassed him in last nights press release to be honest. Their statement was ridiculous, was unnecessary and most likely was the final straw that closed this deal down.

If Tew and the Knights had simply communicated what they felt directly to Tinkler, kept it in house completely away from the media, and did whatever they had to do to finalise discussions and clear up any concerns they had, then if at that time things didn't work out, then come out in the press to the fans and explain why at THAT time, not before, not mid discussions.

I don't know about you, but I didn't want to hear a f*cking daily update on proceedings. That's where the problems lie.

Just do whatever it takes to get it done, and come talk to the fans then!

But no, this was played out in the media, the Knights embarrassed Tinkler, Tinkler has embarrassed the Knights, and ultimately the Knights get 2nd place again - the second best offer on the table.

You don't have to be a great business man to make a lot of money out of business. Plenty of idiots are millionaires.

Amateurs - the lot of them - Tew, Burro and Tinkler included.

There's only 1 loser in all of this - Knights fans.

CJG 182

Juniors
Hmm I don't know what to make of all this. I've been back and forth on it. A couple of good point though karma, which is cause for concern.

Interesting times ahead.

Oh and welcome back!

B-dos

Referee
the deal was a furphy, B-dos. accept that and move on. you're making yourself look really f**king stupid, and the whole LU community is watching.

lol

geez perverse. giving me tips whilst dishonestly creating a misleading impression of my position

take your own advice buddy...

perverse

Referee
Karma - firstly thanks for weighing in mate.

i will address your first concern. Tinkler underwriting our sponsorship ($7mill a year roughly) for $10 mill a year was a good deal, and far superior to the patrons trust. it's not hard to imagine that with corporate hospitality and ticketing included that the patrons model well and truly overtakes the Tinkler bid as far as superiority is concerned. i see no mystery there.

it's easy to say keep negotiations behind closed doors, but Tinkler is not playing by those rules. he is offering 1 deal to the public and another to the administration. the admin HAS to update the public in this situation. he is manipulating the media, and doing an awesome job of it i might add.

Karma - ultimately what it comes down to is this - are you happy to take a billionaires claims of prosperity in good faith when he is obviously deceiving the public, and not willing to back himself to deliver what he claims on paper?

I'm not sure where I sit with all of this just yet ( yep a fence sitter for now ), but gut feeling says the Knights have made a mistake.

Though, for the people questioning Tinkler's integrity, sit back a minute here and understand all of these throwaway lines today by Tew/Burro bout this Patrons Trust is as big a load of tripe as anything else.

Firstly, a couple of weeks ago, Robbie Tew himself said: “The Tinkler Group offer is a superior offer to the patron’s trust model,” Tew said.

Where does this now leave Robbie Tew's integrity? How can we seriously believe the Patrons Trust is better? We can't, and anyone who does is either anti Tinkler or living in fantasy land.

After all, let's face it, for all intents and purposes, Robbie Tew and the Knights were prepared to sit down at 2pm today in order to nut out a deal - because lets face it, they both know that the Tinkler offer was still the superior offer - even if there were concerns over the Tinkler offer having changed. This was as late as this morning. So why play the Patrons Trust model card like they don't care Tinkler has pulled out - its laughable. They care alright.

I found the press release last night from the Knights bemusing at best, and cannot understand why they would release such a public display of embarrassment against Tinkler. These negotiations didn't have to become public and should never have been. Both sides have played this out in the media from day dot - an absolutely stupid way to do business.

I don't blame Tinkler for pulling the pin after the Knights embarrassed him in last nights press release to be honest. Their statement was ridiculous, was unnecessary and most likely was the final straw that closed this deal down.

If Tew and the Knights had simply communicated what they felt directly to Tinkler, kept it in house completely away from the media, and did whatever they had to do to finalise discussions and clear up any concerns they had, then if at that time things didn't work out, then come out in the press to the fans and explain why at THAT time, not before, not mid discussions.

I don't know about you, but I didn't want to hear a f*cking daily update on proceedings. That's where the problems lie.

But no, this was played out in the media, the Knights embarrassed Tinkler, Tinkler has embarrassed the Knights, and ultimately the Knights get 2nd place again - the second best offer on the table.

You don't have to be a great business man to make a lot of money out of business. Plenty of idiots are millionaires.

Noise to much for you Karma, Awake you from your slumber did it.... :lol:

cram

Bench

Exactly and let's add to this that Tinkler has changed the goal posts before, in May 2010 he openly stated he did not want to own the Knights.

I agree in part about the press release last night but Tinkler fired the first salvo's in the media some months ago and his shennanigans with Kade Snowden etc also embarassed the club.

The Knights fan's however, is the real looser If the club is close to being insolvent then eventually Tinkler will get his blank canvas and the members will be left without the input that their board could have had.

perverse

Referee
lol

geez perverse. giving me tips whilst dishonestly creating a misleading impression of my position

take your own advice buddy...
misleading impression of your position? i don't think anyone knows what your position is outside of "Tinkler is amazing and the knights have f**ked up"... because you haven't provided us with anything. Karmawave just swooped into the thread, took a similar stance as you whilst also leaving it open to discussion, and in 1 single post conveyed far more intelligent thought than you have managed in 10 times that.

B-dos

Referee

100% agreed karma. and well said

Alex28

Coach
he walked away because he no longer wants to negotiate with burraston and tew. that says it all really

however, im not that one eyed that i dont agree tinkler could have gone along with it and got the deal through although im fairly certain there is more to this than we know at present and he has quite literally had enough of being farked around by the inept dopes we have in charge

burraston coming out and speaking ill of tinkler in the media over the snowden incident is a clear case of this fool biting the hand that is about to feed us for a long time....
What actually happened is the Tinkler played his major hand in the hope that Tew and Burro would bow out of the board and negotiations, and he lost.

He tried to screw the board and the members over and bully his way in to owning the club and he lost. That is the reality of things.

So when you look back and wonder what could have been, there is only one person responsible for f***ing it all up.

Nathan Tinkler.

You guys don't need him...what does he know about the game, the club, it's values etc...

Good job IMO that he did not get your club.

B-dos

Referee
misleading impression of your position?

yes perverse.

i don't think anyone knows what your position is outside of "Tinkler is amazing and the knights have f**ked up"... because you haven't provided us with anything. QUOTE]

well you should read my posts. ive stated many times that the performance of burraston and tew throughout this has resulted in tinkler walking away and this is cleary why im disgusted.

ive never said anything like 'tinkler is amazing' so please lets keep this honest

Karmawave

Bench
Karma - ultimately what it comes down to is this - are you happy to take a billionaires claims of prosperity in good faith when he is obviously deceiving the public, and not willing to back himself to deliver what he claims on paper?

I guess firstly, we do not know for certain that Tinkler is deceiving the public.

It coulb be argued that maybe Burraston and Tew are deceiving the public just the same in order to protect their own self interests?

There's no black and white, open shut case with this deal mate.

Almost everyone in here seems to think that because Burro and Tew said so - it must be true.

I can't really figure out why Burro and Tew are all of a sudden more believable than Tinkler? :lol:

None of us have been first hand witnesses to the documentation tabled, so none of us really have an idea of what is , or what isn't true.

I do believe this though - nothing about Nathan Tinkler paints a picture that he was out for self gain or to rort the Knights or their fans.

I truly believe he wanted the best for the community, and I also have no doubt he wasn't going into buying an NRL team to make some kind of major profit - instead he was more likely to burn holes in his pockets, just ask Russell Crowe - so no, I definitely don't see how anything he was doing was sinister in any way taking that into account.

perverse

Referee
I guess firstly, we do not know for certain that Tinkler is deceiving the public.

It coulb be argued that maybe Burraston and Tew are deceiving the public just the same in order to protect their own self interests?

There's no black and white, open shut case with this deal mate.

Almost everyone in here seems to think that because Burro and Tew said so - it must be true.

I can't really figure out why Burro and Tew are all of a sudden more believable than Tinkler? :lol:

None of us have been first hand witnesses to the documentation tabled, so none of us really have an idea of what is , or what isn't true.

I do believe this though - nothing about Nathan Tinkler paints a picture that he was out for self gain or to rort the Knights or their fans.

I truly believe he wanted the best for the community, and I also have no doubt he wasn't going into buying an NRL team to make some kind of major profit - instead he was more likely to burn holes in his pockets, just ask Russell Crowe - so no, I definitely don't see how anything he was doing was sinister in any way taking that into account.
i agree with you, and if i were to construct an argument for B-dos to adopt - i was going to build a conspiracy around Tew and Burro being the onees lying about the proposal. we literally can't prove otherwise at this stage, no-one can for sure.

i am more partial to believe Burraston and Tew at this stage, because i was extremely skeptical and concerned about Tinklers batsh*t need to rush this through. it was starting to stink well before Burro and Tew had their say. i don't buy it being just about him wanting to sign every tom, dick and harry... he shouldn't have even been out doing that at this stage regardless. it was presumptuous at best.

well played, though. there is a case to be made for the other side of the coin, for someone willing to try - as i explained to B-dos to help him support his own case. to me, there were more indicators prior to this blowing up, and when i read Burro and Tews piece... well lets just say it wasn't unexpected.

how about you hang around for the season? we are missing a quality devils advocate.

edit- i'd just like to add that i simply won't trust anyone, and i mean anyone when money, power and business are concerned. i wouldn't care if he was Jesus Christ, if he's going to promise things he must put them on paper. anything else and i perceive it to be a lie, ergo untrustworthy, ergo Tinkler has lost a lot of credit with me.

the only way to tell for sure who is lying is to view the proposal that has been presented to the board. without knowing what it contained - and neither party can even agree on what the proposal actually said - then we are still flying blind. evidence suggests to me that he has tried to pull a swifty on us. all we're asking is that he puts his promises on paper, nothing more than that... and without that, they are just empty rhetoric. i refuse to see our club sold on a foundation of rhetoric.

Last edited:
Tinkler was also connected with Jim Beam Racing and that fell through. Now the Knights and the same thing. I'd be reluctant to take any connection he has with any sporting group seriously in the future.
JBR moved on and secured a good deal and the Knights will move ahead with a lot of promise. Maybe they need Crimsafe to jump in like they did with JBR.

S.R.

Juniors
Tinkler appears to be an arrogant pr!ck who is used to getting what he wants without a massive struggle.

IF the Knights can survive without him, they are probably much better off without him and his loose morals and dirty tactics.

The word SNAKE comes to mind.

Alex28

Coach
You would have to be pretty f***ing bold to openly lie about Tinkler's offer if what they could produce in writing differed to what you were telling the members.

The important thing to note here is that Tinkler hasn't suggested that what Tew said yesterday was a lie. He even admitted the $1 Million to the juniors was left out and offered to include it after the fact.

Nothing sinister? How does telling us he'll increase our sponsorship (where he actually said was around $7 Million) to $10 Million and then change the offer to state he'll top up to $10 Million after sponsorship, hospitality and ticketing - which is already more than $10 Million look anything other misleading at best?

What it seems like is that he originally said $10 Million over 10 years, then said $100 Million over 10 years to get the board working on it, and then reverted back to the $10 Million deal.

He lied to us. I can't see any other way to look at it.

B-dos

Referee
What actually happened is the Tinkler played his major hand in the hope that Tew and Burro would bow out of the board and negotiations, and he lost.

He tried to screw the board and the members over and bully his way in to owning the club and he lost. That is the reality of things.

So when you look back and wonder what could have been, there is only one person responsible for f***ing it all up.

Nathan Tinkler.

our leadership team of burraston and tew should think themselves lucky they have supporters like you alex