What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

National anthem state of origin remix

westerntiger

Juniors
Just want to gauge everyone's thoughts on the Wild West remix of the national anthem at last night's Origin opener?

Personally I thought it was rubbish but what does everyone here think

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought it was great!

I was in the Sydney stadium and it is the first time i have seen a crowd get into the anthem (normally, it is a bit of a stick-up-the-butt affair, so its nice to see people singing with some emotion)

for me, it is a beautiful connection to Australias irish folk history. I can never stand the rigid orchestra version; to me that just doesnt connect with anything “Australian”

Last edited:

Chimp

Bench
So, I guess the question is ‘What’s the point of the National Anthem being performed at a sports event?
Is it;
A) Just for entertainment
or
B) A mark of respect/nod to tradition/pride/celebration of country etc and an opportunity for everyone to sing along as one, regardless of team allegiance

If it’s A, then an artist mixing it up is fine. If it’s B (or a similar theme to B), then it needs to be done in a way that the crowd can sing along, so needs to be as close as possible to tradition.
Personally, I think National Anthems are about everyone singing along together (those who want to anyway) and shouldn’t be messed with - they should be a symbol of national pride etc
But equally, understand many people don’t like them, or take offence to certain elements, but think that’s a different conversation to somebody ‘jazzing up’ a national anthem.
For me, it’s all about the crowd singing along and a bigger sense of belonging, despite difference in team allegiances.

So, I guess the question is ‘What’s the point of the National Anthem being performed at a sports event?
Is it;
A) Just for entertainment
or
B) A mark of respect/nod to tradition/pride/celebration of country etc and an opportunity for everyone to sing along as one, regardless of team allegiance

If it’s A, then an artist mixing it up is fine. If it’s B (or a similar theme to B), then it needs to be done in a way that the crowd can sing along, so needs to be as close as possible to tradition.
Personally, I think National Anthems are about everyone singing along together (those who want to anyway) and shouldn’t be messed with - they should be a symbol of national pride etc
But equally, understand many people don’t like them, or take offence to certain elements, but think that’s a different conversation to somebody ‘jazzing up’ a national anthem.
For me, it’s all about the crowd singing along and a bigger sense of belonging, despite difference in team allegiances.

I think it is a stretch to say people cant sing along to the new version. The words and notes are identical, they just low it down by a half beat to become a waltz.

I reckon that rhythm makes people MORE likely to sing along because it becomes a dance that you can sway to

The original is an uptight march

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Meh, it doesnt bother me to be honest but honestly there are so many people out there that want to have a whinge, people complaining about the anthem and welcome to country.

Speaking of anthems, I guess its the not the first time we've had an anthem issue, look at the Origin 1991, Alfie's face at 3.25

T-Boon

Coach
I think it is a stretch to say people cant sing along to the new version. The words and notes are identical, they just low it down by a half beat to become a waltz.

I reckon that rhythm makes people MORE likely to sing along because it becomes a dance that you can sway to

The original is an uptight march
Dude - who are you?
Killing it.

Dude - who are you?
Killing it.

The original is evocative of these blokes marching
images

the new one is evocative of these guys singing around a camp fire

images

Which do you reckon is more “Australia”?

Bazal

Post Whore
Who cares?

It's just a song, and a shit anthem anyway. It wasn't improved for mine but it's not a high starting point so what's the issue