What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Neil Henry - New coach - Canberra Times

Panjabi

Juniors
Raider_69 said:
Nope, i know absolutely nothing about him. But unlike some here, because i dont know him, i dont think to assume he must be a neville. :)

Say hello to the new Assistant Coach of the Radiers.

Michael Magure is currently Craig Bellamy's offsider and was acutally a Raiders player for 8 years and also Assistant Coach/Strength and Conditioning coach for the Radiers between 2001 - 2004.

Raider_69

Post Whore
sounds like he is alright, our conditioning was alot better in those years then in recent times, he has served time under Bellamy in which im sure he's learnt alot from, Melbourne, like Nth Qld also seem to have a strong repuation of blooding rookies and getting them to perform, which is precisely what we need.

Neil Henry has been coaching league for nearly 20 years, plus his playing days, he has plenty of experience albeit not top grade, but id argue his experience is no worse then Elliotts was in the ESL.

Tigertread

Juniors
Neil Henry Playing/coaching history:
Started playing senior football for West Belconnen, Canberra (group 8) in 1978.
Spent 1982 - 84 at the Canberra Raiders.
1988 first player/coach appointment at Cooma (group16)
1988-89 played in England (Hull FC)
Player/coach West Belconnen 1991-93
Player/coach Cooma 1994
Monaro Divisional coach 1995-96
Perth Reds U19 Coach 1997
West Belconnen First Grade coach 1998
Appointed to Adelaide Rams coaching staff 1998
Canberra Raiders 1999-2002. (SG Ball - 2000, Jersey Flegg - 2001-02)
Coached the ACT Schoolboys Open team 1999-2002
Cowboys Assistant coach 2003-2006

aussies1st

Staff member
Henry sounds alright and he is a Canberra boy so thats a positive. Let's see what he does next year. Our main problem is blooding youth hopefully Henry will fix that.

parra pete

Referee
Daniel Anderson had never coached first grade until the Warriors. He was NZ coach two seasons later. The Raiders are on a winner with Neil Henry...ask the Cowboys about his contribution. He is assisting Mal Meninga with the Qld SOO team this season
Good luck to the Raiders for having the guts to take him on..A new breed of coaching will refresh the NRL..and it needs it.

thickos

First Grade
What does this Henry bloke look like? I'd like to put a name to a face.

I wish him all the best and am very happy with his appointment. A fresh face with fresh ideas and he seems to have contributed a great deal to the current Cows setup.

edabomb

First Grade
Raider_69 said:
No it shows i initally over estimated or misjudged our coaching teams ability to get players to make that step up. Im extremely confident under Neil Henry, Todd Carneys potential will be realised. Whilst in a coin flip, promising young Penrith half, Peter Wallace will flounder in a much more noticiable way then Carney has (as IMO he isnt nearly as talented)

Fair enough, we'll have to wait and see.

I'm happy with Henry. It would be naive to sign Chris Anderson and expect players to flock to Canberra. We need success first, which is going to come from our juniors developing.

aussies1st

Staff member
Marc Herbert [CNTDN] said:

I'm happy with Henry. It would be naive to sign Chris Anderson and expect players to flock to Canberra. We need success first, which is going to come from our juniors developing.

I know one guy that would have flocked with Anderson and he is a big name halfback :)

Edwahu

Bench
thickos said:

I wish him all the best and am very happy with his appointment. A fresh face with fresh ideas and he seems to have contributed a great deal to the current Cows setup.

He looks kind of like Elliot :(

I think a lot of people need a big "ease up turbo". Take 2 deep breaths, and have a think.

You could of gotten the greatest coach in the world and there would still be difficulties in getting the players from Sydney down to canberra. It's the way it is, which is why the Raiders have thought about it and taken the gamble on the new bloke. You get a guy who has played for the Raiders, coached the Raiders, and loves Canberra.

Secondly, say they got C.Anderson here, he would only be a short-term proposition, and he may leave the club in a worse position than what we currently are in.

Henry may have cost less because he has no experience, but having thought about it all day I can see the logic in the decision. We have some of the best young kids in the game down here, awaiting their opportunities to take the game by storm. We need someone who can groom them, and get the best out of them. The guy to do that is Henry. Just look what he has been involved in with the Cowboys.

And if you still have second thoughts, have a look at his NRL history. He was the Fitness coach of the 1998 Adelaide Rams for christs sake!! :lol:

aussies1st

Staff member
I'm sure the Rams had great fitness :)
Nothing to do with the main coaching, just got to look at his record as vice coach of the Cowboys.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Marc Herbert [CNTDN] said:

Spot on, our juniors have some awesome potential
if Carney can not perform under Neil Henry then ill be sorry to say that i was wrong about him, but im confident it wont come to that.

Tigertread

Juniors
thickos said:

neil henry and graham murray, not a very good pic
0,1658,5087854,00.jpg

Panjabi said:
Say hello to the new Assistant Coach of the Radiers.

Michael Magure is currently Craig Bellamy's offsider and was acutally a Raiders player for 8 years and also Assistant Coach/Strength and Conditioning coach for the Radiers between 2001 - 2004.

Michael Maguire I think from memory was the winger who injured his neck in 1998 against the warriors, he was my p.e teacher at school down there before I moved, coached us at school level too, I can tell you, he certainly got us to pull our fingers out when we were playing sh*te, lol

raider_ktj

Juniors
Well seeing as Henry is expected to play a main role in our recruitement campaign for next year... Who are the cowboys players off contract at the end of this year?

Tigertread

Juniors
raider_ktj said:
Well seeing as Henry is expected to play a main role in our recruitement campaign for next year... Who are the cowboys players off contract at the end of this year?
Bowman, Hannay, Webb, Sing

PRKLCD

Juniors
Tigertread said:
Bowman, Hannay, Webb, Sing

geez it would be hard to get players from the cowboys to move here just because of the weather!!

Glad to see him coming to be our coach. It could have been elliot for another 2 years :shock: