What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New ARLC CEO Discussion

Who is your preferred NRL CEO?

• Total voters

El Diablo

Post Whore
looks like this bloke is already on some coin. never even heard of him until today http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...ly-in-its-sights/story-e6frg7mf-1226452776944

ARLC has Gillon McLachlan firmly in its sights

August 17, 2012 4:25PM

THE Australian Rugby League Commission is headhunting AFL administrator and strategist Gillon McLachlan to be its chief executive.

It is understood McLachlan, the man earmarked to eventually take over the reins from current AFL boss Andrew Demetriou, has been told by the ARL Commission “the job is yours if you want it”.

The commission's full board is understood to have conducted interviews with several applicants as they search for the right man to replace David Gallop, who walked away from the post on June 6.

It is believed the ARLC has short-listed three names for the role: McLachlan, Canterbury chief executive Todd Greenberg, who has strong support from within the game, and New Zealand rugby league boss Jim Doyle.

McLachlan, who joined the AFL in 2000 and is its chief operations officer, is highly regarded within the AFL as a savvy operator.

Apart from negotiating the AFL's latest record TV deal, he also secured over a billion dollars in funding from state and federal governments as part of a massive stadium redevelopment arrangement.

One thing in the NRL's favour is that McLachlan knows he'll have to continue to bide his time for two or three more years before Demetriou is ready to give him a shot at the top job.

The NRL is understood to be prepared to significantly bump up the $750,000-a-year salary paid to Gallop to land McLachlan, reportedly on a $1 million dollar-plus package with the AFL.

“They (NRL) would have go pretty high to have a chance, but he's definitely the man they want,” a source told AAP today.

“He is considered a gun operator within the AFL.”

Landing McLachlan would be a big prize for rugby league given he has such an intimate knowledge of their operating budgets, strategies and long-term plans.

Former Melbourne Demons captain Garry Lyon said poaching McLachlan from the AFL would be a massive coup for rugby league.

“If they are able to pull something like that off, I mean that could be a real body blow to the AFL,” said Lyon.

While the commission, headed up by chairman John Grant, has given no indication as to when it will announce Gallop's replacement, it's believed they are well advanced in the interview process and could make an announcement in the coming weeks.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/n...allop-as-nrl-ceo/story-e6frfgbo-1226452733912

NRL out to poach AFL's No. 2 man Gillon McLachlan to replace David Gallop as NRL CEO

Andrew Hamilton
The Courier-Mail
August 17, 2012 3:45PM

THE NRL are trying to poach the AFL's No. 2 man Gillon McLachlan.

It is understood the committee established by the NRL's newly formed independent commission have made contact with McLachlan about switching codes to serve as the new CEO of the NRL.

David Gallop was sacked as CEO in June following a falling out with ARLC chairman John Grant.

AFL CEO Andrew Demetriou said he did not want to lose McLachlan but was not surprised the rival code had made a play for his highly regarded deputy.

The NRL job might appeal to McLachlan who is ambitious and had seen himself as Demetriou's successor.

And Demtriou's recent claims that he intended to continue in the role may have convinced McLachlan to pursue other opportunities.

Demetriou said today McLachlan was in Sydney yesterday to meet with media partners, not the AFL's biggest rival.

"I don't know (if he is going), I hope not," Demetriou said on 3AW.

"It would be surprising to me if someone hadn't spoken to him, or hadn't approached him because he is a very talented.

"He is a very dedicated AFL person, loves the game and has been a great servant to myself and the game for 12 years.

"I hope he sticks around - absolutely (we would fight to keep him)."

But Demetriou also said he had no plans to step down and pass the batton to McLachlan in the near future.

"My future as far as AFL football is pretty much certain," Demetriou said.

"I have committed myself, I have got unfinished business and I made that statement before I left.

"(I want to stay) indefinitely, because I look forward to the challenges ahead.

"We have got 18 clubs, we want to have 18 sustainable, profitable football clubs.

"There are a lot of challenges going forward - and that is a good thing that they are ambitious."

ek999

First Grade
I'm not that surprised El Diablo that you haven't. You don't seem like a follower of AFL

docbrown

Coach
If McLachlan doesn't take the job at least Demetriou will have to keep looking over his own shoulder... :lol:

El Diablo

Post Whore
CEO candidate Jim Doyle to step down from NZRL at end of year. Should we read anything into this?

http://nrl.com/nz-rugby-league-boss-to-step-down/tabid/10874/newsid/69422/default.aspx

Leigh.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/7529841/Departing-Doyle-denies-Aussie-link

Departing Jim Doyle denies Australian link
BEN STANLEY
Last updated 05:00 23/08/2012

Departing New Zealand Rugby League chief executive Jim Doyle has ruled out a move to become the chief executive of the Australian Rugby League Commission, despite rumours linking him with the position.

Doyle has been the NZRL boss since August 2009, and has revamped it into one of the country's most pro-active organisations.

He announced yesterday that he would be leaving the NZRL at the end of the year, but said a spot on the ARL Commission, which was formed at the beginning of the year, would not be the destination.

"I've seen that been linked a few times over the previous few months, but definitely not," Doyle said. "I don't intend to be moving permanently to Australia."

The commission recently announced a new A$1 billion television deal, which delivers an instant A$90 million injection to the NRL.

Reports are that the competition's salary cap will increase, while clubs will receive a A$500,000 payment immediately.

Doyle also distanced himself from a potential position at the Warriors, if the shake-up following head coach Brian McClennan's sacking continues in the club's front office.

"At the moment, I have to say the Warriors have got a good CEO in Wayne [Scurrah]," he said. "I've not even given it any thought at all."

Doyle said he was immensely proud of the changes that he had helped implement at the NZRL.

Changing the public's opinion of the sport and its governance was crucial, he said.

"It's not just me, because we've created a really good team here.

"But to be able to bring on new people who want to be part of the organisation, whereas in the past people were distancing themselves from the organisation.

"The brand has improved significantly because of the things we've done. Definitely, I feel really proud of being part of that."

As of last year, New Zealand had 33,152 registered league players, a figure which increased 38 per cent from 2010, and is expected to rise again when figures are next released.

The NZRL has become financially buoyant as well, with a $509,000 surplus in March.

It will begin the search for the next chief executive in coming week, with interviews likely to take place in early October.

Hanscholo

Bench
Well Buckley has worked out so well for soccer (sarcasm), I can't imagine why we'd even hesitate at recruiting the AFL's second or third string.

Leigh.

With all due respect to soccer in this country, richard branson couldnt run it.

1. You have the Munchausen 'football people' clique headed by mike cockerill and craig foster that continually undermine everything.

2. You have a tiny fanbase, most of which would take watching man utd over sydney fc any day of the week.

3. The supporters groups...

4. The crazy owners.

5. The grossly overpaid players.

6. Low income

7. Corrupt governing body

8. autocratic chairman

9. The grossly over the top expectations of people towards it.

The only two things soccer has going for it in this country is that its played a lot at young ages, and it gets money tipped on it from the government.

Soccer is a basket case, as much as ben buckley looked like a deer in the headlights for his entire tenure, can you blame the guy?

They got rid of buckley for being reactive.....wasnt that what....thats correct. So gallop, with bigger problems and less money with more people trying to rip him down than ever is going to workout? hahahaha.

First Grade
Matt Gidley isn't such a bad choice imo.

He has completed a graduate certificate in business administration from the University of Newcastle, followed by a Master of Business Administration.

He is young, has NRL experience and a big bonus also has ESL experience. He is also the Business Development Manager for Sport2business, a company that provides recruitment channels to source high potential employees from the top level of elite sporting competition.

I think he would actually be a good candidate.

Patorick

Staff member

He has completed a graduate certificate in business administration from the University of Newcastle, followed by a Master of Business Administration.

He is young, has NRL experience and a big bonus also has ESL experience. He is also the Business Development Manager for Sport2business, a company that provides recruitment channels to source high potential employees from the top level of elite sporting competition.

Maybe in about ten years.

Needs a bit more experience.

BranVan3000

Coach

Wow a degree from the University of Newcastle? Sign him up, look at those credentials

First Grade
Typical dickhead souffs supporter response. The reference to his business qualifications were to indicate that he indeed has qualifications. The Fact he is actually a CEO right now adds the experience to compliment the qualifications.

Seriously though i said In my opinion so i gave my opinion you gave yours (in a sarcastic asshole way).

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/n...ppointed-nrl-ceo/story-e6frfgbo-1226457994671
INTERIM Australian Rugby League Commission boss Shane Mattiske has firmed dramatically to be appointed permanently on the back of a stellar week for the game.

Ahead of tomorrow's landmark summit between all eight commissioners and the 16 clubs, The Sunday Telegraph can reveal the race for rugby league's top job has boiled down to Mattiske and AFL second-in-command Gill McLachlan. There's also support for Panthers Group CEO Warren Wilson, but at this stage not enough to rival the leading pair.

Sources close to the commission claim McLachlan is the preferred option, however his price tag is prohibitive.

It is believed Melbourne-based McLachlan is on a $1 million-plus salary to report to AFL supremo Andrew Demetriou. Enticing him to switch jobs - and cities - would involve a further pay rise, making Mattiske a viable option should the ARLC decide to invest its new-found broadcast riches elsewhere.

The NRL's former strategy manager has impressed the right people since occupying David Gallop's chair, particularly over the past seven days.

Tuesday's $1.025 billion TV deal was Mattiske's first major success and 24 hours later he pulled off a logistical miracle to move Eels great Nathan Hindmarsh's farewell match to ANZ Stadium.

Tomorrow's meeting will provide another stage for Mattiske to showcase his leadership credentials, with club representatives eager to learn how the broadcast bounty will be split. The new deal will deliver an upfront payment of $90 million, to be drip-fed in three instalments.

Clubs want the first batch to cover $500,000 in loyalty payments they were promised late last year, in exchange for signing five-year agreements with the NRL. With the grand final only five weeks away, most clubs need the injection to balance their books after counting on the stimulus in their 2012 budgets.

"I'd like to think we'll at least get confirmation that the money will be paid," said clubs spokesman and Wests Tigers chairman David Trodden.

"A lot of clubs have budgeted for that $500,000 and probably spent most of it by now. We always knew it wouldn't be paid until the TV deal was finalised, so now it's a matter of finding out when." Known as the NRL Council, the clubland lobby group first convened a fortnight ago at St George Leagues Club.

Its primary objective is to receive a grant large enough to cover player payments for all three levels of the game - NRL, Toyota Cup and NSW/QLD Cup.

It is believed that grant would need to be about $1 million above the NRL salary cap, which is guaranteed to be at least $5 million in 2013.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Disappointing for NZRL, he's done an amazing job turning around what was a basket case organization.

Don't be tight Arlc, pay what it takes to get the best man. They will more than repay a couple of hundred grand a year difference if they do their job well.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
RUGBY LEAGUE'S new chief executive is expected to be announced within days, with the Herald told that the ARL Commission has settled on a candidate.

A meeting of all eight commissioners is understood to have been scheduled for tomorrow to confirm the appointment of a replacement for David Gallop.

The Herald was told last night a decision had been made, and it is believed a subcommittee chaired by Catherine Harris has prepared a recommendation for the meeting of the full ARL Commission.

The identity of the successful candidate was a closely guarded secret last night but a number of sources told the Herald that AFL deputy Gill McLachlan had either got cold feet or wanted more money than the ARLC was prepared to pay for a CEO.

Racing NSW boss Peter V'landys is believed to still be in contention for the job, while ARLC interim chief executive Shane Mattiske has been mentioned as a possible appointment.

However, the Herald has been told that the new chief executive will be someone from outside the game, and one of the criteria for the job is understood to be a business background. New Zealand Rugby League chief executive Jim Doyle and Canterbury's Todd Greenberg, who were believed to have been on a final shortlist of six names interviewed three weeks ago, have ruled themselves out.

Doyle last week announced he was standing down from the NZRL to pursue other interests, while the Bulldogs issued a statement saying Greenberg had committed to the club for a further three years.

ANZ Stadium chief executive Daryl Kerry and Panthers Group boss Warren Wilson are others to have been linked with the job.

Meanwhile, NRL clubs are expected to be told today when they will receive a $500,000 sustainability allowance guaranteed to them once the television rights deal was finalised.

The chief executive and chairman of each of the 16 clubs will join the eight commissioners in a historic meeting of the ARLC Council.

The $500,000 payment to clubs is expected to be lodged in the bank accounts of clubs within two weeks following last week's announcement of a five-year $1.025 billion television rights deal with Channel Nine and Fox Sports.

Players are also set to receive bonus payments from the broadcast deal as the salary cap has already been set at $5 million for next year.

However, it is expected to surpass $6 million in future seasons, and the amount of the salary cap and the annual club grants will be discussed at the meeting today.

Also on the agenda will be a new funding proposal from the ARLC that was discussed at the recent meeting of NRL clubs at St George Leagues Club.

The ARLC has audited the clubs and wants to put in place a benchmarking system.

Under the proposal, clubs would be required to have a chief executive officer, a marketing manager, a membership manager and a community welfare manager to be eligible for certain grants.

Those clubs that do not meet what is considered the minimum criteria will not be able to apply for grants to fund projects such as advertising campaigns or membership drives.

Cronulla and Parramatta are two clubs expected to be affected as the Sharks do not have a chief executive, while Eels CEO Bob Bentley is really the leagues club boss.

Struggling clubs will be able to seek additional funding but they will have to comply with stringent conditions imposed by the ARLC.
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...d-this-week-20120826-24um6.html#ixzz24fH7VGFD

The ARLC has audited the clubs and wants to put in place a benchmarking system.

Under the proposal, clubs would be required to have a chief executive officer, a marketing manager, a membership manager and a community welfare manager to be eligible for certain grants.

Those clubs that do not meet what is considered the minimum criteria will not be able to apply for grants to fund projects such as advertising campaigns or membership drives.

:clap::clap:

Latest posts