What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New ARLC CEO Discussion

Who is your preferred NRL CEO?

• Total voters

BuffaloRules

Coach
Other American sports from that same article...

By contrast, MLB commissioner Bud Selig will be 78 in July and is rumored to earn in excess of $20 million.

NBA Commissioner David Stern, 69, has been on the job for 28 years. Although his compensation has never been made public, it is believed to rival that of Selig

NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman will be 60 in June and has held his post for 19 years. His total compensation was reported as $7.5 million for the 2009-10 season

Noa

First Grade
Doesn't Demetriou earn $2 million per year? Not sure there are many AFL players on that sort of coin.

there arent.

and I meant it only happens in Australian sport.

yes those US bosses earn a squillion, but not as much as the highest paid player. I think its actually in the CBA.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.nrl.com/grant-happy-to-b...spx?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Grant happy to bide time for new ARLC CEO

Ian McCullough AAP Wed, Aug 29, 2012 - 2:27 PM

ARLC chairman John Grant says good progress is being made in finding a new chief executive, but a new incumbent would not be in place before the end of the NRL season.

AFL chief operating officer Gillon McLachlan, acting ARLC chief executive Shane Mattiske, and racing NSW chief Peter V'Landys are the front-runners for the role.

However, Grant gave the biggest hint yet that the new appointment would come from outside of the game when asked on Wednesday if he expected the role to be filled before the end of the NRL season.

"We haven't set ourselves a deadline about when to make an appointment as it's almost impossible," Grant said.

"Any candidate who does accept the role would have to serve some sort of notice period and that would be outside of the season."

Mattiske has filled the role since David Gallop's shock departure in June and Grant said there he's happy to wait for the right appointment and not a rushed one.

"We're always getting closer," he said.

"We're not there. We're down to a shortlist and before we get a conclusion there is still a bit of work to be done but we're heading in the right direction."

Gallop, who was named as the new chief of Football Federation Australia last Tuesday, resigned after falling out with Grant, who criticised his 10-year reign as too reactive.

Armed with a new billion dollar broadcast deal, the game is in its strongest positio and Grant said the new chief executive would be taking over at a perfect time.

"We've had a wonderful fortnight," he said.

"We have two broadcast partners who want to do new things for the game.

"We have funding to grow the game, we've got funding that can contribute to various aspects for the game's development."

El Diablo

Post Whore
However, Grant gave the biggest hint yet that the new appointment would come from outside of the game when asked on Wednesday if he expected the role to be filled before the end of the NRL season.

"We haven't set ourselves a deadline about when to make an appointment as it's almost impossible," Grant said.

"Any candidate who does accept the role would have to serve some sort of notice period and that would be outside of the season."

hmmm sounds like someone has been signed but can't start yet

could be the AFL bloke as i'm sure Demetriou would come out saying he's not going anywhere if that was the case

Ron Swanson

Juniors
Mystery surrounded the sight of McLachlan in Sydney yesterday. The line out of the AFL was that he was in Sin City to meet with broadcasters - something he does often.

McLachlan was not sighted at League Central yesterday as the ARLC met during a typically long board meeting.

Quality journalism.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...t-gill-mclachlan/story-e6frexnr-1226461134478

ARLC chairman John Grant talks up CEO prospect Gill McLachlan
Andrew Webster
The Daily Telegraph
August 30, 2012 12:00AM

ARL Commission chairman John Grant has broken his silence over the NRL's courtship of AFL chief operating officer Gill McLachlan - the preferred candidate to succeed David Gallop as CEO.

Considered among the country's leading sports administrators, McLachlan is currently weighing up a $1 million-plus move to head up the NRL after 12 years at the AFL, most recently as Andrew Demetriou's second-in-command.

Both the ARLC and McLachlan have remained tight-lipped over the approach, however Grant provided an insight into the high esteem in which the commission holds the Melburnian. "I think the AFL has been very successful," Grant told The Daily Telegraph. "If Gill McLachlan has contributed to that, then he has done a good job. You have to conclude that."

As reported in The Daily Telegraph yesterday, McLachlan was in Sydney on Tuesday - prompting other applicants to believe a deal had already been struck.

Asked if getting an administrator outside of rugby league was an issue, Grant said: "That's not the pre-requisite for our consideration. We've scanned very widely from straight corporate all the way through to sports administration."

The commission's issue is whether it can come up with the money to lure McLachlan to run the game. Figures of $1.5 million a year have been touted, although it is understood he is on a similar amount at the AFL and may want more.

AFL boss Andrew Demetriou commands $2 million a year."The commission is in the position to pay the right amount of money for the right person," Grant said.

Grant yesterday revealed there were now only three people in line for the job - but interim chief executive Shane Mattiske isn't one of them.

Racing NSW boss Peter V'landys has been considered some chance, yet hasn't been interviewed.

Panthers Group chief executive and former TAB boss Warren Wilson ruled himself out when it became clear McLachlan was the clear front-runner - although it is understood he has indicated he would consider another approach if one was made.

"We'll let you know when we decide," a defiant Grant said yesterday when pressed on a new chief executive. "We're in a process. We don't discuss what we're doing externally. It's not appropriate. It doesn't help. I can't confirm that we have spoken to anyone. It's not appropriate."

Grant said it could be a "matter of weeks" before an appointment is made, but he told a meeting of NRL club powerbrokers on Monday it could be as much as "six months".

If that it is so, Mattiske will fill the position for as long as the commission needs to find the right person.

While it has been generally believed that Mattiske was the man for the role if McLachlan cannot be convinced to jump codes, he has told Grant he does not want the job on a full-time basis.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...nning-to-become-arlc-boss-20120829-2514q.html

Trio in running to become ARLC boss
August 30, 2012
Glenn Jackson
Rugby League Writer

ARL Commission chairman John Grant says the shortlist of candidates for the vacant chief executive role has been cut to three - and that list does not include the interim boss Shane Mattiske.
Grant remained tight-lipped about the commission's eagerness to hire the AFL's chief operating officer Gillon McLachlan, to the point of not even admitting that he was one of the candidates remaining on the shortlist. But Grant did say the appointment was still several weeks away, which means it is almost certain the new chief executive will not be in the chair until after this season finishes, given the likelihood of a notice period needing to be served.
''It's going to be a few weeks away at least,'' Grant said.
''This is a difficult process because it involves people considering their own career, let alone us considering what is right for us. You can't rush it. We'll just see.''
Advertisement
Despite speculation the commission had targeted McLachlan, Andrew Demetriou's No.2, Grant maintained no offer had been made to any candidate. Asked about McLachlan, he said: ''I can't confirm whether I've spoken to anyone. It's not appropriate.''
But he was happy enough to suggest that McLachlan is well-credentialled. ''I think the AFL's been very successful.'' Grant said. ''If Gill McLachlan has contributed to that, then he's done a good job.''
With McLachlan potentially baulking at the prospect of taking charge of the NRL for little or no pay increase, Grant said that the recent billion-dollar broadcast rights deal would have no impact on the search. The commission, he said, had already budgeted for having extra money at its disposal and was preparing to pay accordingly. ''I think the commission's in the position to pay the right amount of money for the right person,'' Grant said.
Racing NSW boss Peter V'landys is believed to be another candidate still on the shortlist.
But Grant said that Mattiske, who has replaced David Gallop as the interim boss, was not. ''Shane didn't apply for the job,'' Grant said. ''He's done a good job.

I'm not a massive fan of bringing in an AFL guy , but at least he sounds like a CEO.

Much more confident than the likes of gallop or Buckley.

I am a big fan of what he did for the afl negotiating stadium deals with state governments.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Watched a bit of him on the Eddie show, He presents very well and looks very professional but I am concerned he seemed to show very little interest or excitement about the possibility of becoming NRL CEO.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/rug...ldnt-be-out-of-his-league-20120829-251c6.html

Little known about wanted man, but CV suggests code switch wouldn't be out of his league

Date
August 30, 2012
Richard Hinds
Chief Sports Columnist

You only need a glance at Gillon McLachlan's CV, and the obvious second question that will be posed by NRL fans about the man being sought to run their game leaps out. After ''who is he?'' will come ''what does he know about rugby league?''

McLachlan did not return calls yesterday. That left unanswered the question of whether - unlike Kevin Sheedy, upon his arrival in Sydney - the AFL No.2 knows Hindmarsh is not a suburb near Cabramatta.

However, on Fox Footy's Eddie McGuire Tonight, McLachlan did little to quell speculation his future will be with the NRL. ''I'm happy to say I've had a chat with the people in Sydney,'' he said, adding that ''you only have one career, and one family''.

On the surface, McLachlan seems a more likely to candidate to succeed John O'Neill than David Gallop. The erudite member of a wealthy pastoral family, he was educated at prestigious St Peter's College in Adelaide and, to add an almost ridiculously stereotypical touch, is president of the Victorian Polo Club.

''There is a story to me that is probably good headlines and potentially sells a paper,'' McLachlan said. ''But it's who I am, I don't shy away from that. I think Sydney's a great town and rugby league is a great product. There is a whole series of things that play into that about me and others … but my background, I don't think about that when I think about this job or the AFL or any other job.''

Those who have worked with McLachlan portray a different image. ''His values are a lot stronger than people give him credit for,'' one former colleague said. ''He's a lot more grounded. He's certainly very capable of dealing with people on different levels.''

In his negotiations with government, television executives and businessmen, McLachlan is said to be both personable and, where necessary, firm. ''He knows how to use a good mixture of carrot and stick,'' is how one protagonist put it.

Significantly, McLachlan has a proven record of bringing big projects to a successful conclusion. He was instrumental in helping deliver Metricon and Skoda stadiums on the Gold Coast, and at Sydney's Olympic Park. The first project, particularly, was a masterstroke given the AFL managed to extract funds from an initially hostile Queensland government.

The NRL lamented NSW government funds being handed to a foreign and hostile code to build Skoda Stadium in the shadows of ANZ Stadium. Yet the dominant Sydney game failed to match the aggressive lobbying of its rival.

McLachlan's other achievements include a key role in the AFL's $1.25 billion TV rights deal, the establishment of AFL Media which is moving the game towards producing and controlling its content, and the compilation of a complex, commercially driven playing schedule. He also drafted the AFL's impact study during Football Federation Australia's 2018/2022 World Cup bid, which led to considerable concessions in the event Australia won hosting rights.

Being cast as one of the supposed ''AFL traitors'' who helped torpedo the World Cup bid might not make him popular with some. However, in a competitive marketplace, his ability to aggressively champion/defend his game against a rival is an asset.

McLachlan agrees the new media rights deal creates enormous opportunities. ''It's a fantastic product, I don't think anyone needs to hide away from that,'' he said. ''It's an unbelievable deal they've done … there are great opportunities there. I think the broadcast rights delivers the capital to go and deliver on some of those.''

The $1.5 million salary McLachlan might command should not be an issue for a now cashed-up game. More significant could be the willingness to give a new chief executive the power he would demand. Andrew Demetriou is given a free hand by a strong, but non-interventionist commission. McLachlan would expect the same from chairman John Grant.

There had been speculation McLachlan was virtually guaranteed the top job at the AFL, perhaps as soon as next year. But Demetriou seems comfortable in a role for which he earns more than $2 million a year, while ably supported by highly competent assistants.

''I hope he stays,'' Demetriou said of McLachlan on Fox Footy's AFL 360 last night. ''I think he's got some unfinished business.''

Noa

First Grade
Ben Buckley was McLachlan 4 or 5 years ago, look how he went.

fact is the underlings of Demitrou are part of the old-boys network and friends of his, they never really got there on merit and running the AFL post super-league with our hands tied behind our back has been one of the cruisiest gigs in the world.

I mean 1.3 million for being 2nd banana in a comp supported by 10 million people. Thats being on the gravy train if I ever saw it.

Ben Buckley was McLachlan 4 or 5 years ago, look how he went.

fact is the underlings of Demitrou are part of the old-boys network and friends of his, they never really got there on merit and running the AFL post super-league with our hands tied behind our back has been one of the cruisiest gigs in the world.

I mean 1.3 million for being 2nd banana in a comp supported by 10 million people. Thats being on the gravy train if I ever saw it.

It wouldn't surprise me if Demetriou is sending McLachlan as a spy, gathering intelligence for the AFL over the next 3-4yrs on Sydney, and QLD markets.

Just remember, McLachlan's passion is AFL first and foremost. He has no idea about Sydney at grassroots level..

Latest posts