What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New ARLC CEO Discussion

Who is your preferred NRL CEO?

• Total voters

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/n...ake-it-in-sydney/story-e6frfgbo-1226461984118

Collingwood president Eddie McGuire says AFL COO and ARLC target Gillon McLachlan can make it in Sydney

Dean Ritchie
The Daily Telegraph
August 31, 2012 12:00AM

GILLON McLachlan can make it in Sydney and the NRL, according to a Melbourne AFL giant who tried and failed in the Harbour City.

Collingwood president Eddie McGuire last night predicted the ARL Commission's No.1 target for the vacant CEO job was ready to quit AFL and take up the challenge rugby league offers.

McGuire's comment comes as AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou revealed why the ARL Commission was chasing McLachlan.

McGuire spoke about the impending move of AFL's second-in-charge after interviewing McLachlan on Fox Footy during the week.

"I got the feeling he (McLachlan) is receptive to the (NRL) offer and he is thinking deeply about it," McGuire said. "I think he is agonising over it and when you do that, you think you should do it.

"He is thinking really hard about whether he could be involved in rugby league and I think the answer is yes.

"It (rugby league) is an exciting game.

"Gill has tremendous acumen and credibility. He would be a prize catch.

"He would be an AFL guy from Melbourne and I have learned about that heartache from personal experience. But he would pull it off."

There were unconfirmed reports that McLachlan was back at Rugby League Central yesterday afternoon.

Speaking with The Daily Telegraph last night, Demetriou said: "He (McLachlan) is an outstanding talent. I have worked with him on a daily basis and see his work ethic, work capacity and skills.

"He would be an asset to any organisation.

"Gill is a great talent and a great person. Our wish and hope is that he stays but, if he goes, he would go with our blessing. We understand on more than one occasion our people have been the target of another organisations."

A mystery interstate businessman has emerged as a wildcard in the hunt for David Gallop's replacement.

It seems though there is an "interchange bench" comprising three other candidates should McLachlan stay at the AFL.

It appears there is spirited debate at commission level about the next best candidate.

One Melbourne source said: "I think McLachlan is now more likely to move than unlikely."

Demetriou is still waiting for an answer from McLachlan.

"I don't know what he is doing. He hasn't told me but he has a big decision to make," he said.

"I am sure I will be one of the first to know.

"I would love him to stay. He has been a loyal employee for 12 years."

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/146288/default.aspx

Decision time for McLachlan

By Matt Thompson 10:45 AM Fri 31 Aug, 2012

THE PRESSURE is ramping up on AFL chief operating officer Gillon McLachlan to make a call on an offer to become the chief executive of the National Rugby League.

It's believed the Australian Rugby League Commission has made a significant pitch to the AFL's second-in-charge to switch codes.

AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou has made it clear he wants an answer.

"He's got a very big decision to make," Demetriou told Radio 3AW on Friday.

"I don't think he knows. I'm sure that he will make a decision very, very soon."

"He has to make a decision for our sake."

It's understood the ARLC is in the final stages of its process to replace deposed chief executive David Gallop.

"The commission's made it clear that they're interviewing a number of parties and you can never go into any details while that process continues," ARLC spokesman John Brady told AFL.com.au.

"They'll take the time they need to make the decision … bearing in mind the commission is running this process through an independent party." he said.

McLachlan declined to comment when contacted by AFL.com.au on Friday morning.

Earlier this week he confirmed to Fox Footy he was in contact with the ARLC: "I'm happy to say I've had a chat with the people in Sydney."

He went on to say he was considering "a whole series of things" in making his decision.

Matt Thompson is a reporter for AFL Media. Follow him on Twitter @MattThompsonAFL

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/rug...race-to-take-reins-of-nrl-20120831-255p4.html

Robson mystery man in race to take reins of NRL

Date
September 1, 2012

ESSENDON chief executive Ian Robson has re-emerged as a candidate for the vacant NRL CEO's job, after the Herald was told he had support among the commissioners.

AFL chief operating officer Gillon McLachlan remains the favourite but it is believed some of the commissioners may be beginning to have second thoughts after he did not initially accept the job.

Racing NSW chief executive Peter V'landys is also a contender, while Robson is understood to be the mystery third candidate that ARL Commission chairman John Grant mentioned earlier this week.

The Herald was told McLachlan was identified by a subcommittee of commissioners, which includes Grant and is chaired by Catherine Harris, as the man they wanted to fill the role vacated by David Gallop in June.

However, not all eight commissioners are believed to be as convinced - the package for McLachlan was increased when he did not initially accept the offer and he still hasn't committed.

Some within the game have also begun to question whether his polo-playing, private-school background would be suited to running rugby league.

V'landys, who grew up playing rugby league alongside Steve Roach and Garry Jack, is someone they feel would be better equipped for dealing with the likes of Nick Politis and Phil Gould, while one commissioner is said to be pushing for Robson.

Robson has a background in league as the founding CEO of the Auckland Warriors and was also CEO of Super League in Britain, while his tenure at Hawthorn and Essendon gives him an intimate knowledge of the way AFL is run.

He was initially mentioned as a candidate but had appeared to drop out of contention until Grant confirmed that there were three people still under consideration but interim chief executive Shane Mattiske wasn't one of them.

AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou said yesterday that he expected McLachlan to make a decision soon. ''He's got a very big decision to make,'' Demetriou told 3AW. ''I don't think he knows. I'm sure that he will make a decision very, very soon. He has to make a decision for our sake.''

Demetriou is understood to be concerned that McLachlan, who has a good relationship with James Packer, will accept the ARLC job as he is ambitious.

After overtaking departing Ben Buckley as the AFL's No.2 administrator before Buckley left to run Football Federation Australia, it is thought McLachlan may have become bored in his role as chief operating officer since negotiating the code's $1.25 billion broadcast deal last year.

McLachlan was also instrumental in negotiating $45 million in funding from the NSW government to upgrade Sydney Showground as a training base for Greater Western Sydney and the $23 million deal with the ACT government for the team to play matches in Canberra for 10 years.

However, some suspect that if he took the ARLC job, he would leave as soon as the AFL chief executive's position became available - although Demetriou has indicated he will continue for at least two more years.

''Why would the ARLC gamble on having someone who could be gone in two years for the top job in the AFL?'' one NRL official said. ''But the ARLC run such a tight ship that no one really knows what is going on. The latest conspiracy theory going around, and I stress this is just a conspiracy theory, is that the AFL will send him here as spy to learn about how league operates in NSW and Queensland and then he will go back to head the AFL.''

Another official said: ''I don't understand why we have to go and get some AFL guy from Melbourne when there are good people here and other people I talk to say the same thing.

''What does Gillon McLachlan know about rugby league anyway? At least Peter V'landys has got a background in the game and I can tell you he is very highly regarded by people in the racing industry for the job he has done there.''

El Diablo

Post Whore
i couldn't believe this. Bourbs actually bagging out her mate Gallop

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/hes-leagues-mr-right/story-e6frext9-1226462740915

He's League's Mr Right

Rebecca Wilson
The Daily Telegraph
September 01, 2012 12:00AM

THE gentrified boys club that is Melbourne and, to a slightly lesser extent, the AFL, is probably the last place the Australian Rugby League Commission expected to find its future chief executive.

On paper, hiring the AFL's chief operating officer, Gill McLachlan, is one of the biggest risks the ARLC may ever take. McLachlan is a blue blood who cut his teeth in exclusive private schools and on the grassy AFL grounds of Melbourne.

He sports a gold signet ring, wears designer suits and spends his leisure time mixing with Bleak City's social darlings. He has even been known to enjoy a spot of polo.

Scratch the surface, though, and the real Gill McLachlan is a different man.

He is the AFL's toughest negotiator who has never taken a backward step in the time he has spent under Australia's best sports executive, Andrew Demetriou.

McLachlan is a deal maker who was instrumental in pulling off the AFL's historic television rights contracts and has spent the best part of the past five years cutting deals with just about anyone who has a contract with the sport.

He is charming to meet with a quick wit and sharp intellect. Media types in Melbourne say he can be a wolf in sheep's clothing - nice as pie on the outside but tough as flint when he gets down to business.

He knows little about rugby league and is not acquainted with any of its power brokers. He has admired its progress from afar but, up until this week, he has never had to know anything about the sport's political or commercial imperatives. He has little idea of the snake pit that awaits him if he accepts the role.

This is precisely why he is the perfect man for the job. Finding a great sports executive with no rugby league baggage in Sydney is a tough ask. The candidates who have been head hunted all come with varying degrees of vested interests, political alignments and pre-existing notions of rugby league's place in the world.

The acting incumbent, Shane Mattiske, is a Gallop protege who baulks at change.

As good an executive as David Gallop was, there are dozens of changes which he refused to make at head office.

Gallop was a loyal dog who allowed many of those working for him far too much leeway and way too much time in the job.

He preferred the status quo to dramatic change and the result is that areas like junior development and referees are withering on the vine.

Gallop was also a person who liked to be liked.

He shied away from the really tough battles that needed to be had with self-serving powerbrokers who badgered him relentlessly until he surrendered.

Unfortunately, he was also forced to spend far too much time handling crises so that looking forward became difficult.

McLachlan is the man with the capacity to make desperately needed changes at HQ. He has overseen the best junior development and mass participation program in the country with Auskick.

He understands marketing and the important role of the media. While league is still skewed to males, the AFL has built a generation of female fans who now nearly outnumber their male counterparts.

He does not take a backward step from broadcasters. Those who deal with him say he can be ruthless across a boardroom table. He has helped Demetriou build a juggernaut that is the envy of world sport. AFL headquarters in Melbourne is a shrine to efficiency, growth and purpose.

In New South Wales alone, the AFL has hired more than 60 staff to target new sponsors, fans and players.

The NRL has been grossly understaffed for decades. McLachlan's strong personality would ensure the commission is kept at arm's length while he sets about building stronger marketing, media, operations and development departments.

Above all, McLachlan is his own man. He will not be enslaved by vested interests and he won't hesitate to tell commission chairman, John Grant, that he is not, in fact, the chief executive. McLachlan and Demetriou greatly respect the AFL commission but they do not run head office. They are kept at arm's length, involved in policy development but not implementation.

It will be tough for McLachlan but nothing great is ever easy. Conquering Sydney and league will require some brave decisions but the bravest one of all is taking on the job in the first place.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Webster with is drivel http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ock-hop-to-rugby/story-e6frexnr-1226462789489

You having a laugh?

IS Andrew Demetriou playing poor old rugby league off a break with this rampant speculation that Gillon McLachlan is about to become the new chief executive of The Alleged Greatest Game of All?

There is a growing fear among some league powerbrokers that Demetriou has already stitched up a deal and his second-in-command will spurn an audacious bid from the ARL Commission to sign him.

"I wouldn't be surprised if Demetriou is orchestrating all this, ready to have the last laugh on us," one said.

Indeed, McLachlan and Demetriou appear to be talking a little too much publicly about the matter. That is very unlike the AFL.

McLachlan is said to come from a family with very, very deep pockets from Adelaide. It is rumoured McLeod's Daughters was filmed on its sprawling properties in the Adelaide Hills.

McLachlan's brother Hamish is the well-known Seven broadcaster in Melbourne.

Just as league thought it was about to deliver a thunderous blow to the rival code by snatching Demetriou's deputy, it will now be a disaster if the ARLC misses out on its man.

We can tell you some of the applicants have been burnt pretty badly by how they have been treated throughout the entire process.

How receptive would they be to working for a board that didn't want them in the first place?

Desert Qlder

First Grade
I am genuinely unconvinced that we need McLachlan.

The reporting around this makes him sound like the second coming.

Perth Red

Post Whore
he had delivered some great outcomes for AFL in terms of expansion and getting Govt support for that in expansion states and comnes across well in front of the camera. other than that he doesn't seem overly excited about the job and I would be very wary of someone who is half hearted about the oppotunity.

babyg

Juniors
Im not convinced of the afl guy. Doesn't know or love the game. Is likely to bail early.

The racing guy is a better pick.

El Diablo

Post Whore
i'd tell the AFL guy to bugger off as he seems to be taking too long to make his mind up so mustn't be that keen to do it

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
This is incredibly hard to belive but I'll post it anyway...

Gillon McLachlan knocks back position with EPL giant Liverpool

Mark Stevens From: Herald Sun
September 01, 2012 10:00PM

AFL powerbroker Gillon McLachlan this season knocked back a dream job with English Premier League club Liverpool.

In a sign of his growing reputation as a sports administrator, Liverpool offered him the prime chief executive's role.

It is believed the tempting overture came in the opening months of the AFL season.

The National Rugby League has since started a hot pursuit of the AFL's No.2 man.

McLachlan said no to Liverpool, one of the most famous clubs in the world, because he was happily settled in Melbourne with a young family.

It would have been an enormous upheaval to move to northern England.

It is not unusual for club chief executives in the EPL to be paid more than $2 million a year.

McLachlan, the AFL's chief operating officer, also remains content in his role as key lieutenant to chief executive Andrew Demetriou.

But the offer to join the NRL is far more tempting for McLachlan, who has been grappling with the decision in recent days.

The situation remains delicately poised, even though McLachlan yesterday told 3AW: "I'm pretty happy with doing what I'm doing and not in a rush to look at anything, to be honest with you."

McLachlan, whose status soared after spearheading the AFL's successful negotiation of a $1.25 billion broadcast deal, is weighing up a $1 million-plus a year offer to fill the NRL CEO's position vacated by David Gallop.

He is now so highly rated he looms as a near certain successor to Demetriou in the top job at the AFL, but the league boss seems in no hurry to move on.

There is no angst between the pair, who have a smooth working relationship.

Demetriou said on Friday: "He's got a very big decision to make ... I'm sure that he will make a decision very soon. He has to make a decision for our sake."

McLachlan was not expansive when asked about his future yesterday, only saying: "I haven't confirmed or denied anything other than I've had a chat with those (NRL) guys".

There were also reports yesterday that Essendon chief executive Ian Robson was high on the NRL hit list if McLachlan did not take the job.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/af...-giant-liverpool/story-e6frg1x3-1226463132076

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Sounds like he's gone cold...

Code-breaker? In-demand McLachlan ponders next move
Date
September 3, 2012
Samantha Lane

IN HIS own time, rather than on a deadline, Gillon McLachlan is expected to inform the AFL in the next two days whether he will stick with the code he knows best or defect to become head of the NRL.
Giving the impression in a weekend radio interview that he has already resolved to stay put as second in charge of the AFL and reject the opportunity to lead a major rival code, McLachlan attended yesterday's St Kilda-Carlton game with his children but refused to comment on his status.
His football commentator brother Hamish, however, enhanced the feeling that a major move for his sibling was unlikely, telling the Channel Seven Game Day AFL program that he hosts: ''I hope he stays and I think he will stay. He loves his family and he loves football and I think he'll be here for a while.''
Andrew Demetriou has nominated his current chief operating officer, who joined the AFL 13 years ago, as the prime candidate to succeed him and McLachlan said on Saturday: ''I'm pretty happy with doing what I'm doing and not in any rush to look at anything too much to be honest.''
Advertisement
Meanwhile, an AFL boss said yesterday that reports McLachlan had knocked back a multimillion-dollar chief executive's job at the English Premier League club Liverpool earlier this year were ''wrong''. According to the source there was never an offer to reject.
Despite recent reports that Essendon's chief executive Ian Robson had support on the ARL Commission to take over the NRL chief executive job that David Gallop left in June, Robson said last night he had never received any approach regarding the position and did not believe he had ever been a contender.
''I've never been in the running and I've never been spoken to,'' he said. Robson has agreed in recent months to an open-ended arrangement with Essendon to remain that club's chief executive.
''It's not for me to comment on Gill, other than to say Gill does a fantastic job as part of Andrew's executive team, which everyone in the AFL readily acknowledges,'' Robson said.
''It's no surprise that other codes continue to look at the calibre of the administration involved in the AFL.''
The Age reported that some commissioners were having second thoughts about the original favoured candidate McLachlan because he hasn't jumped at their overtures or a rise on a package said to be worth about $1.5 million per year.
There is also some scepticism in NRL quarters that McLachlan, who negotiated the AFL's record $1.25 billion television broadcast deal last year and several lucrative stadium funding deals, might take on the rugby league job only to desert it when Demetriou vacates the richest administrator's job in Australian sport.
Racing NSW chief executive Peter V'landys is also on the ARL Commission's list.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...s-next-move-20120902-258kj.html#ixzz25KY0V1SM

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
McLachlan conjecture persists: AFL or rugby league?
JOHN STENSHOLT
AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou says he has not struck a succession planning deal with the league’s chief operating officer, Gillon McLachlan, who is being heavily courted by rugby league.

McLachlan has admitted to discussing the possibility of taking the job as chief executive of the Australian Rugby League Commission, the governing body of the National Rugby League competition. However, he has yet to reach a final decision.

Demetriou told TheAustralian Financial Review he did not want to lose McLachlan to rugby league but denied any deal for him, Demetriou, to step aside within the next two years to allow McLachlan to become CEO of the AFL. McLachlan is considered to be the obvious internal successor.

“There is no Kirribilli-style [Hawke-Keating] agreement there,” Demetriou says. “I don’t believe in them because they never work out and something can always go wrong.”

Sources close to the ARLC say rugby league is keen to poach McLachlan, but there has been some conjecture about his salary.

The ARLC had originally set aside up to $1 million on the new CEO’s annual salary, but McLachlan could cost rugby league up to $1.5 million if it were to pay more than his current salary at the AFL. ALRC chairman John Grant said last week the appointment was “several weeks away” and that three people were still being considered for the job. One is said to be Racing NSW CEO Peter V’Landys, who ironically just missed out on the post when former CEO David Gallop – who will soon take up the same role at Football Federation Australia after leaving the ARLC earlier this year – was appointed to the position a decade ago.

Demetriou describes McLachlan as an “outstanding talent” who is highly regarded by AFL staff and the organisation’s commission, which appoints the CEO.

McLachlan was an integral part of the negotiating team which signed a five-year $1.25 billion broadcast contract with Seven Network, Foxtel and Telstra last year, the biggest in Australian sporting history. Demetriou, who is rumoured to be considering standing down from job in the next two years, says he hopes McLachlan stays. But Collingwood president Eddie McGuire says there is a good chance McLachlan will leave.

“He is thinking really hard about whether he could be involved in rugby league and I think the answer is yes,” McGuire says.

McLachlan has also been in charge of the AFL’s digital strategy in recent years, which has included a big push by the league into online and social media.

In particular, he has overseen the establishment of the AFL media division.

The division has employed 105 full and part-time journalists and technicians to provide news, features and video content.

It is an area that the ARLC’s Grant is keen to push his league into as well.

http://afr.com/p/lifestyle/sport/mclachlan_conjecture_persists_afl_UAdScVnfWHEiwC28ur7srK

t-ba

Post Whore
Stranger and stranger.

Hearts not in it by the sounds of it. We'd want to put in some truly nasty penalties for dishonouring the contract to even consider him.

Move on I think.

I'd be very surprised if McLachlan is appointed. Sounds just like the moves players & agents make when trying to drive up their value... no doubt if he stays he'll receive a nice little bump in salary along with other accompaniments.

There's no way I'd ever trust an ex-AFL employee either. He doesn't know the game, it's politics, it's cultural ties and values amongst a whole host of things. Plus I would question his ambition to truly take it to the AFL to become the outright dominant football code in Australia.

Brutus

Referee
It's a shame that Todd Greenberg will have to leave rugby league if he wants to further his career.

TheRam

Coach
We are dead set mad for going for this guy in the first place. Long term nothing good can come from having him run our game.

He is not one of us and never will be. We are only inviting trouble. What the hell is wrong with the people that run our sport? One step forward, two steps back.

Brutus

Referee
he told them he doesn't want the job

After it was made known that no current officials would be considered.

Greenberg would be excellent, but he'll be running another sport before he runs rugby league which is shame.

Latest posts