What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Arrangement

Do you believe this idea could be a success?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This is related to the "Steelers Owe St.George 8.24mil" thread, thought I'd start a fresh thread to discuss this interesting idea that was brought up.

Joint Venture ends, St.George get the NRL license.

Steelers field Premier League team which feeds into St.George (who would have no PL), similar to the Newtown-Cronulla thing.

Both clubs could work towards long term goals:

1. Steelers - strengthening their financial base, with the eventual aim of applying for re-entry to the NRL within 10 years or so.

2. St.George - concentrate on their Jersey Flegg and the development of St.George District based juniors so that when/if Illawarra return to the NRL they will have plenty of players to draw from.

The obvious positive is that St.George can re-claim it's history. They would still have players coming through from the South Coast for the immediate future as well as be able to concentrate on developing their own. Kogarah would be their permanent home.

For the Steelers, being in Premier League would be a step up from Jersey Flegg (the highest grade they're in at the moment). All their home games could be at WIN Stadium and this arrangement could help them build support and momentum for an eventual return to the top grade. Another positive for the Steelers Leagues Club would be that they wouldn't have the hefty financial commitment to the NRL JV (currently they are contributing over a million dollars a season, though much less than St.George) allowing them to increase the rate of the loan repayment to St.George.

Anyway people, let's discuss...

PJ

First Grade
They couldn't draw a crowd when they had a first grade side so how are they going to draw one for Premier League?

PJ said:
They couldn't draw a crowd when they had a first grade side so how are they going to draw one for Premier League?

What do mean?
And no-one is saying they'll draw massive crowds to the PL matches...

I have contacted the Steelers and they will be sending me some info regarding the costs of a PL team and what they currently contribute to the JV.

S2H

Juniors
Stupid Idea.

At least at the moment Illawarra has representation in the top grade.

The LONG TERM plan is to return to the top grade as a stand alone entity. As for representation in the NRL at the moment... um... oh yeah, socks! Woo hoo.

Also, St.George get to re-claim their history under this concept.

Anonymous

Juniors
Man_of_Steel_1982 said:
The LONG TERM plan is to return to the top grade as a stand alone entity. As for representation in the NRL at the moment... um... oh yeah, socks! Woo hoo.

Also, St.George get to re-claim their history under this concept.
Is that a real plan Man of Steel or just a proposal from yourself?

Simon

Juniors
The joint venture is here to stay and should continue in it's current form. There's no point discussing the venture breaking up because a liscence for St George Illawarra was just granted until 2011. I think the joint venture works well for both parties anyway. Illawarra continue to have a NRL team to support and St George have access to a large junior base. Even though the split of money isn't even I still believe both clubs gain from being a member of the joint venture. It's time now for everyone to accept the merger and support the team and not try to increase fractions between the two clubs, they're one club now and hopefully will be for a long time into the future.

Dragon

Coach
Id be torn if we ever split. The Dragons have grown on me so much, and i love the JV. I dont think i could handle it if this team ever folded.

I just urge everyone to keep supporting this club as it is.

The joint venture is here to stay and should continue in it's current form.

Great form, LMFAO. The Super Club, the biggest lie of all an some people are still beliving it. FFS if you look over the past couple of years we've probably been on par with The Scum. Sad, but true.

There's no point discussing the venture breaking up because a liscence for St George Illawarra was just granted until 2011.

Either party can pull out and apply for the license. It's not as if it's some kind of a sentence that you have to serve out.

Illawarra continue to have a NRL team to support and St George have access to a large junior base.

Which equates to what exactly? f**k all. Without junior dispensation we gain almost no advantage from the South Coast nusrery. The Steelers didn't go anywhere with their juniors in 20 years and the JV hasnt gone anywhere with them in it's 5 years.

You only have to look at who the most succesfull clubs in the NRL have been to see how much juniors matter in this day and age.

Even though the split of money isn't even I still believe both clubs gain from being a member of the joint venture.

What, a slow death?

It's time now for everyone to accept the merger and support the team and not try to increase fractions between the two clubs, they're one club now and hopefully will be for a long time into the future.

To the contrary it's time for people to examine what we where promised, and compare that to what we got. Or in the same vein look at what we had, a proud and great club that we loved so dear and look at that we got, Trent Barret.

Dragon said:
Id be torn if we ever split. The Dragons have grown on me so much, and i love the JV. I dont think i could handle it if this team ever folded.

MSN board :arrow:

Southernsaint

Staff member
Denis'saints'Freak said:
Dragon said:

MSN board :arrow:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You're so divisive, Denis...

Not a "True Fan" either, if truth be told ;-)

Cheers,
Ben S.

drake

First Grade
I just fear the day denis turns up to a game with a sports bag. Post '98 jersey wearers beware!
To the contrary it's time for people to examine what we where promised, and compare that to what we got. Or in the same vein look at what we had, a proud and great club that we loved so dear and look at that we got, Trent Barret.
As opposed to Choc, who f**ked us in the arse twice.
Least we won't see Barrett getting a bithday cake from Tallis, or maybe Fitzgibbon.

Rexxy

Coach
Drake, he was on his way to the Roosters. But management, which had changed since Choc's time, stepped in and made sure his services were secured. Great stuff.

I get the feeling Choc was shown the door by some none too bright small town official who had though black folk should say nothing unless spoken to, not make eye contact , and each sentence with 'sir'.

drake

First Grade
Sorry rex I think that's crap, but that said the Koori personnel at the dragons does seem to be thinning doesn't it. Choc left both times for money and glory. Don't get me wrong, he was a great player, and is a decent guy to meet as a punter, but he is a meglomaniac of massive porportions with no idea of loyalty that isn't to him.
I don't believe Barrett was on his way to the roosters. That was pure hearsay.

I think the Barrett/Choc thing is beyond the point.

I agree with everything Denis said. The Dragons have delivered nothing that both St.George or Illawarra for that matter could of and did achieve on their own.

Bundling two tribes together under a banner that has no history or purpose - ie, it looks like St.George but isn't St.George (no history), and for most Illawarra people it means nothing to them.

And even if the JV has been successful, it's beside the point. I'm a loyal club man, I would rather go and watch MY team play first division than have no choice than to watch a team that wears someone elses jumper. Our identities are more important than winning. Believe it or not, I actually envy Souths fans... at least they can go and support THEIR club... something we should all be able to do.

The fact that there are people like Denis and I demonstrate the number one reason joint ventures are futile.

St.George deserves it's great historical club back in the NRL (which could happen with the stoke of a pen... and believe it or not I would love to see that), and the Illawarra deserves a chance to build for the future and eventually make a return, with a team that actually represents and means something to them.

We should not accept second best.

drake

First Grade
Of course you agree with denis, you both want the same thing.
I don't because I'm selfish; a St George supporter in the Illawarra.
The fact that there are people like Denis and I demonstrate the number one reason joint ventures are futile.
And I suppose the fact that there's an Australian Nazi Party makes democracy pointless as well?
If they demerge I'll actively support the Dragons, and I'll cheer the Sheelers from my lounge room when they're not playing Saints.
But I want my cake and eat it too.

Latest posts