What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Arrangement

Do you believe this idea could be a success?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
You're a minority.

Just look at the WIN crowd figures, they are getting lower each year (and half the crowd come from Sydney).

Once apon a time on the same weekend there would be two grounds packed to capacity to cheer their teams on. Kogarah Jubilee and Steelers Stadium. Now WIN is rarely full (and when it is, half or more of them come from Sydney).

A massive number of people in the Illawarra simply don't care about footy anymore, and eventually it will start to show in our junior ranks.

Jabs

Juniors
Man_of_Steel_1982 said:
A massive number of people in the Illawarra simply don't care about footy anymore, and eventually it will start to show in our junior ranks.
If they don't care about footy then they don't deserve a team, simple as that.

They don't care as much anymore because THEY DONT HAVE A TEAM!

Just look at what happened when the Dragons JV wore the Steelers jumper. It was the talk of the town, everyone down here was excitied and WIN Stadium got a new ground record!

Football is about supporting your club first, not the game itself (even if it is a great game).

Jabs

Juniors
Man_of_Steel_1982 said:
Yes they do, they play 7 HOME games at WIN Stadium FFS. No excuses.

Jabs

Juniors
Man_of_Steel_1982 said:
Jabs said:
Man_of_Steel_1982 said:
Yes they do, they play 7 HOME games at WIN Stadium FFS. No excuses.

You just dont get it do you.
Yes I know what you want, you want 12 home games at WIN Stadium wearing Steelers jerseys. BUT THAT AINT GOING TO HAPPEN EVER AGAIN.
So put up or shut up.
We St.George supporters at Kogarah put up with only 4 games a year at OUR home ground against low drawing opposition yet we still pack it out every game.

If Illawarra pull out of the JV it will be the biggest mistake they have done cause they will never get a full time team back.

Jabs

Juniors
Who said I was happy? I was just stating the facts.
In saying that St.George standing alone is always my prefered option.
As I said Man_of_Steel_1982 be very grateful you still have a team.

drake

First Grade
To be quite honest, most Illawarrans I know have always followed a team other than the steelers\dragons. The steelers came along, and most people didn't change their allegiance it seems to me.

Anonymous

Juniors
As a theory, I can see a few holes... but overall, I have no problem with it.
But the hard truth is - and as it stands - it's just an idea without legs.

S2H

Juniors
I was a big Steelers fan and now I am a St George Illawarra Dragons Fan. I live the ups and downs of the dragons every week, get excited before every game.

The joint Venture is here to stay. All fans from both sides should get behind the team and hopefully cheer on many premierships in the near future. Forget about who puts more financially, who puts more players into the venture and accept the fact that it is one team with one goal. Win a premiership for the fans of St George Illawarra.

I love the Illawarra area, and I love watching people who have grown up in the area play for such a great club. I would spew if the Illawarra was taken from the club and put into premier league. We deserve representation in the NRL, We deserve games played at WIN Stadium where we constantly get around 17-18 thousand fans. In the current situation Illawarra gets to see their team, as does the people at Kograh.

My suggestion is to support the boys week in week out and treat the team as what it is. One Club.

Willow said:
As a theory, I can see a few holes... but overall, I have no problem with it.
But the hard truth is - and as it stands - it's just an idea without legs.

That's true.
As soon as I get the info from the Steelers Club (it's been a day waiting so far) i'll be able to figure whether it would actually work or not.
If it can, then I guess proposing the idea to the club board, some prominent locals including former players, and writing to the Illawarra Mercury may get the ball rolling.

But I guess until I can get my hands on those figures, I'll have to wait.

Nugby

Juniors
I think S2H is right (though I have a St. George background), but Man of Steel, I'm not sure if you actually bothered to read everything that he wrote:

We deserve representation in the NRL, We deserve games played at WIN Stadium where we constantly get around 17-18 thousand fans

you'd give this up in the hope that one day you'd get representation in first grade again. Have your premier league played at Kogarah and see nothing except maybe the ocassional flegg game at WIN? The joint venture'll be around until at least 2011 and in my opinion in should keep gonig after that.

No mate. Obviously you haven't read what I've been saying.

All of the Steelers PL matches would be played at WIN. The loan would be paid back much quicker and the Steelers would be able to receive the economic benefits of the recent expansions quicker as well. It would mean that the Steelers return to the NRL would be inevitable. If it means sitting out for a while to lay the foundations, then so be it.

You bet we deserve representation in the NRL. And I don't mean socks!

Nugby

Juniors
Ok,. I must have misread that, but know that I've never used that stupid f*cking Illasox insult, I cop that from the rorters and the scum too. I suppose my vote's still against the whole idea though

Southernsaint

Staff member
S2H said:
I was a big Steelers fan and now I am a St George Illawarra Dragons Fan. I live the ups and downs of the dragons every week, get excited before every game.

The joint Venture is here to stay. All fans from both sides should get behind the team and hopefully cheer on many premierships in the near future. Forget about who puts more financially, who puts more players into the venture and accept the fact that it is one team with one goal. Win a premiership for the fans of St George Illawarra.

Herein lies the key. You just can't force people to get behind "the team" because you feel that you've able to put your years of supporting the Steelers behind you to follow another team. Other people don't want to give up on the teams that they supported before Black September 1998.

S2H said:
I love the Illawarra area, and I love watching people who have grown up in the area play for such a great club. I would spew if the Illawarra was taken from the club and put into premier league. We deserve representation in the NRL, We deserve games played at WIN Stadium where we constantly get around 17-18 thousand fans. In the current situation Illawarra gets to see their team, as does the people at Kograh.

That's easy to say when you live at Windang & get 7 home games compared to Kogarah's 4. No club "deserves" NRL representation, it has to be earned. The Illawarra Steelers were in the top flight for 17 years & couldn't cut it on or off the pitch. You may not like to hear it but it's a fact. You Steelers fans have it good - all care, no responsibility...

S2H said:
My suggestion is to support the boys week in week out and treat the team as what it is. One Club.

Hmmmmm...

Cheers,
Ben S.

I agree with alot of things Ben said.
However I disagree with the bit about the Steelers not being able to cut it in their 17 seasons.
After battling through the 80s, recession just to establish themselves. In the early 90s they had arrived, finishing 8th, 3rd, 7th, and 6th (out of 16 teams) from 1991 to 1994, and won the 92 pre-season. Then super league 95... we all know the story. Those performances are something the Joint Venture would do well to emulate.

But on the main points I agree. It clearly isn't one club, and it is a disgrace that Kogarah fans only get 4 games (not to mention the loss of a great history).

The sooner we get a divorce, the sooner we can all look to the future.

MILLWALL

Juniors
I reckon alot of players would come to the steelers i mean fitzy said he would come back to them if they did come back into the comp although hes still with the rooters, but to have the steelers back would be great becuase i mean having these new teams is a joke becuase its stuffing around the teams that had to merge.

Latest posts