What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New CEO announced tomorrow???

Ozzy = :thumn

I love his work on the ABC (so will be a great spokesman), has a good head for administration, and is definitely the kind of bloke to help the image of the game and the club.

Would be very happy if he took the reigns of the Football Club.

the master eel

Juniors
i think ladies and gents that we are on the cusp of a new era with morts and kk in the halves. i think finally the right combo at 6 & 7. pity about albert, he would have been great although i believe that morts is a more level headed kid and lives and breathes rugby league. i wish albert good luck at the sharks. i however do not regret his departure.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
i think ladies and gents that we are on the cusp of a new era with morts and kk in the halves. i think finally the right combo at 6 & 7. pity about albert, he would have been great although i believe that morts is a more level headed kid and lives and breathes rugby league. i wish albert good luck at the sharks. i however do not regret his departure.

Welcome master. Just dont fall into the trap that 95% of posters do and get excited at the smallest bit of news. We thought that we were headed for a massive change when we signed Hagan. We got all excited about our new coach, our new stars that were coming through and here we are.

The new board is unproven yet, but they have shown some good signs.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
so i can tell you all it will be a choice between mayer and osbourne. who do you guys think would be the best for our club???

Well, Mayer would be a sure thing. He got the Catalans Super League club into the comp over there and he has done extraordinary things with Manly.

This random guy Osbourne? iv never heard of him but he has credentials. Personally I would be happy with either.

Well, Mayer would be a sure thing. He got the Catalans Super League club into the comp over there and he has done extraordinary things with Manly.

I don't think Mayer can take credit for either the RFL's decision to admit a French club into the league or XIII Catalan and St Esteve merging to form the club in the first place.

I accept that he has runs on the board but I get worried that in this game we select our administrators from too small a pool of "talent". I always favour people who can bring new ideas and new experiences to the table and can present well in the media spotlight.

This random guy Osbourne? iv never heard of him but he has credentials. Personally I would be happy with either.

Clearly Paul's strengths would be as a great figurehead for the club in the media - having experience commenting on the game in the media - and his "clean living" image is one the game could do with. He was also a Member of the ACT Legislative Assembly and CEO of a Players' Agents body... in other words, he has experience outside of just being a "Club Secretary" which I personally favour.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
I don't think Mayer can take credit for either the RFL's decision to admit a French club into the league or XIII Catalan and St Esteve merging to form the club in the first place.

I accept that he has runs on the board but I get worried that in this game we select our administrators from too small a pool of "talent". I always favour people who can bring new ideas and new experiences to the table and can present well in the media spotlight.

Clearly Paul's strengths would be as a great figurehead for the club in the media - having experience commenting on the game in the media - and his "clean living" image is one the game could do with. He was also a Member of the ACT Legislative Assembly and CEO of a Players' Agents body... in other words, he has experience outside of just being a "Club Secretary" which I personally favour.

I thought Grant Mayer had a big hand in getting Catalans in the comp, what involvement did he have?

I saw the part about Osbournes credentials, but Im more concerned that he could also be a risk. You are right though, fresh ideas are what we and Rugby league as a whole need.

Haynzy

First Grade
I love the sound of Osbourne as FC CEO......be interested to hear Hindy's thoughts on him after Rwanda.

I remeber reading some stuff about his work with young players last year somewhere...he seems an impressive candidate at dfirst glance.

I thought Grant Mayer had a big hand in getting Catalans in the comp, what involvement did he have?

You're right - I'm just being precious about the idea that he's the reason Catalans are in the league - he was obviously an important figure in the beginning but so were lots of people. He would seem to have done a good job as their first CEO and brought an NRL-style professionalism to the club when they needed it at the beginning - but he didn't last long.

I saw the part about Osbournes credentials, but Im more concerned that he could also be a risk. You are right though, fresh ideas are what we and Rugby league as a whole need.

Yep and yep. But Mayer also comes with risks and brings baggage from both his time at Manly and the Dogs.

Gronk

Staff member
It's understood Osborne was approached to apply by an influential figure close to the Eels, who was impressed by his post-football career.

Clearly the Board are listening to Hindy.

Gronk

Staff member
So the CEO position was by invite only ? I thought that the process was to be transparent ? Wasn't transparency the Leabeater pre-election catch phrase ?

The Colonel

Immortal
Osborne would be an ideal selection. His background makes him an ideal candidate.

Gronk said:
So the CEO position was by invite only ? I thought that the process was to be transparent ? Wasn't transparency the Leabeater pre-election catch phrase ?

Still trying to read between the lines?

It says he was approached to apply and by the sounds of things there are others who did the same thing.

The Colonel

Immortal
Conversation: Paul Osborne, ex-NRL star, ex-cop, ex-MP - People will always try ‘to knock you down’

paul.jpg

[FONT=Helvetica Narrow,Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Paul Osborne with his family
By Damir Govorcin
“As Catholics, we must be brave enough to stand up for what we believe is right and wrong,” says Paul Osborne.
“People will always try to knock you down, but in the darkest of periods your faith will strengthen and galvanise you.”
Paul is speaking from personal experience.
He has had his share of being knocked down - as a junior and senior rugby league player, as a cop and as a politician.
Most recently it has been as a politician.
The former detective capped off his 10-year career in the NRL with a premiership win with the Canberra Raiders in 1994.
Then Paul, father of seven, decided to venture into the cut-throat world of politics.
He stood for election to the ACT Legislative Assembly in 1995, running as an independent candidate for the multi-member electorate of Brindabella.
He had a diverse political platform embracing worker’s compensation, freedom of information, petrol pricing, internet stalking, law and order and education.
He won election in 1995, and was re-elected with an increased majority in 1998.
But his outspokenness on issues such as euthanasia and abortion - being “brave enough to stand up for what we believe is right and wrong” - was to cost him his seat.
During one rally more than 3000 pro-choice protesters demonstrated against his attempt to outlaw abortion in the ACT.
They carried placards with messages such as ‘Osborne - ex-footballer, ex-cop - soon to be ex-politician’ and ‘Osborne’s bill - an act of immaculate deception’.
Undeterred by the attacks he suffered, the 36-year-old is considering running again at the next election.
This time round, he is expected to affiliate himself with a political party.
“People were telling me that politics would have a negative impact on my faith, but in fact my faith became strengthened and galvanised by the experience,” he says.
“I argued passionately about euthanasia and abortion, which for me are black and white issues.
“I was attacked in different quarters, but I’m proud I stood up for what I believed was right.”
Paul grew up in Petersham and was educated at the Christian Brothers High School, Lewisham.
He has fond memories of the school and credits the teachers for instilling Christian values in him and for helping him live out his faith.
“I wouldn’t be the person I am if I didn’t go to a Catholic school,” he said. “The teachers gave me the ability to discern what is right and wrong.
“I learnt about my faith, the value of hard work and to stand up for what you believe in.
“My parents struggled to put me through Catholic schooling, but I’m sure glad they did.”
At school, Paul shone as a footballer.
He was named player of the series as he guided Christian Brothers, Lewisham, to the final of the prestigious Commonwealth Bank Cup schoolboy competition in 1984.
His school was beaten 16-10 by St Gregory’s College, Campbelltown, with Paul turning in what he regards as his worst performance of the competition.
“I had a shocker in the final, but at the time being a part of the second best rugby league school team in Australia was something I was proud of,” he said.
“We were a tight unit as we had been friends and grown up together at the school.”
Paul and his wife, Sally, who have been married for 12 years, have seven children - Sabella, 11, Jacob, nine, Joshua, seven, George, six, Thomas, four, Noah, two, and Ezra 11 months.
Paul says his prime objective is to be “the priest at home for my wife and kids”.
“How do we pay the bills - we pray a lot,” he joked.
“We’re tired and poor, but there’s a lot of love in the house.
“My wife loves kids, she would have 50 if she could.”
The key to their relationship, he says, has been forgiveness.
“We went through some difficult times because of my behaviour during my football career, but she had faith in me that I could turn things around,” he said.
“Football was my God; everything else was out of kilter.
“Sally made me see the bigger picture and helped me get my priorities right.”
Paul doesn’t miss his seven years in the NSW Police Force, which he left when he had had enough of the stress and pressures that go with the job.
“They were interesting times, but I don’t miss it,” he said.
“It has been 12 years since I have been a policeman so now it’s a bit like a dream.
“It takes a special person to put their hand up to do that job because you have to deal with people in crisis.
“The job hardens you, but still I made some good friends.”
The rugby league memories are sweeter, particularly the 1994 grand final win when he threw two magical passes to set up tries in the opening half and so pave the way for the Raiders’ crushing 36-12 victory.
It was his NRL swan song, but he still turns out for second division side Tuggeranong in the local ACT competition.
“I hadn’t planned for the grand final to be my last NRL game, but after I took time out to think about it I wasn’t going to beat that moment,” he said. “Rugby League was great to me. I have some wonderful memories and made many great friends.”
Apart from juggling his family commitments, Paul works part-time with his former club, Canberra, in community development, and at weekends as an ABC Radio commentator at Raiders matches.
During the summer he also does some work with the Rural Fire Service.
[/FONT][/SIZE]

http://www.catholicweekly.com.au/03/aug/3/12.html

The Colonel

Immortal
Paul Osborne is a highly respected Rugby League identity. Not only has he achieved plenty on the field, but he has also done plenty of off-field community work. Along with his wife, Sally and their nine children (aged from seventeen down to two), Paul lives in the outer Sydney suburb of Dural. He was in the Police Force from 1985 to 1992, finishing as a detective at Newtown. After completing his football career in Canberra, he became the first Independent to be elected in the ACT Legislative Assembly, and remained as an elected member for seven years. He is also a member of the ABC Sports team and is Operations Manager for the Rugby League Accredited Player agents scheme.
Growing up in Marrickville, Paul was a Newtown junior and began his grade career with St. George in 1985. He played 84 first grade games with the Dragons and starred in the club’s 1988 Panasonic Cup Final win. In 1992, the ball playing prop moved to Canberra where he played 51 first grade matches in his three seasons. A late replacement for the suspended John Lomax in the 1994 Grand Final against the Bulldogs, Paul was one of the best players on the field as the Raiders stormed to a 36-12 victory. Not only did the big prop set up tries for David Furner and Ken Nagas in the first 16 minutes of play, but he also defended strongly. At 34 years of age, it was the final match for Canberra captain, Mal Meninga.
After this highlight, Paul had three seasons with the West Belconnen club before retiring. Soon after, he was appointed as the Raiders Chairman of Selectors.
A committed Christian, Paul flew to Uganda in 2006 to hear a friend speak at a church convention. While in Africa, he became aware of the "Hope Rwanda" organisation and was very impressed with the work this charity does in the troubled country.
Upon returning to Australia, he wanted to become involved with "Hope Rwanda" and he made plans to go back to the country with his 14 year old son, where the two could share quality time together and also work on projects for the charity.
While he was making plans to fly back, Paul became aware of some negative stories involving NRL players. So he contacted Parramatta's Nathan Hindmarsh and the Wests Tigers Todd Payten about joining him. Things grew quickly after this and four more players agreed to become part of the experience. These men were Justin Poore (St. George), Jared Hickey (Bulldogs), Jared Waerea (Manly) and Todd Carney (then with the Raiders). News Limited sent a journalist and a photographer at their expense, while Paul arranged for his producer-friend, Wayne Davis, from the ABC and a film crew, to come along so a worthwhile DVD could be made of the visit. The party flew out of Sydney on 6 October (the day after the Grand Final) and returned on 17 October. The excellent 40 minute DVD has been shown on Fox television.

"Players do a lot of good in the community," Paul said, "and what happened in Rwanda proves this."
"If you can help, you should do what you can for people worse off than yourself."
"Africa desperately needs as much as the world can give."
Rwanda is a landlocked nation, in east central Africa bounded by Uganda, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Tanzania and Burundi. Its capital city, Kigali is just two degrees south of the equator. Around 1880 Germany controlled the country, but in 1923, after the First World War, Belgium was given a mandate to govern by the League of Nations. In July 1962, Rwanda was granted independence by the government of Belgium.
The country is fertile, hilly and about half the size of Scotland. There are three main ethnic groups, the Hutus, the Tutsis and the Twas, who were the original pygmy inhabitants.
The Hutus are the majority race and historically they have also been the dominant group. Tensions have festered for many years between the Hutus and the Tutsis and in 1994 this boiled over into one of the world's worse acts of genocide. In around 100 days between 800,000 and one million were brutally murdered. Often machetes were used and it did not matter if you were a man, a woman or a small child. Today there are many survivors missing arms or legs, or with horrific facial scars.
While Paul and his group laboured on building houses, schools and hospitals, they were taken on a three hour walk each way, day visit to the high country, where they mingled with the mountain gorillas, who were the same group with whom Dian Fossey lived around 1966. Fossey was murdered with a machete in this same region in 1985.
There are still problems in Rwanda but the inhabitants are doing everything they can to stabilise the country and make things comfortable for all the population. Paul is keen to return with other NRL groups at the end of this season and for many years to come. He has already begun a fundraising campaign for this year's visit, as have several other interested people, including Justin Poore, who will hold a function in July in the Wollongong area.

http://www.menofleague.com/Joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=308&Itemid=109

Latest posts