What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New-look NRL on Fox kicks off the 2012 NRL season on Fox Sports

undertaker

Coach
Matty Johns shouldn't be a host, Ryan Phelan should be.

Although I was a fan of most of Johns work on The Footy Show, Johns is like Bert Newton: very good in the smaller roles (e.g. when Moonface was the sidekick on the Graham Kennedy and Don Lane shows, but he never reached the same heights when he had his own shows on Ch7 and 10), but doesn't have what it takes to carry the show on his own in the main role.

Although the primary reason for The Matty Johns show being discontinued in his favoured timeslot was due to the AFL version of Ch7's Footy Show - The Bounce - bombing in the southern states, Matty never really eased into his role on that show. I dunno what it was, but I noticed he also didn't gel very well with Shane Webcke like Fatty and Sterlo did on The Footy Show. It was like watching the original odd couple, as Webcke and Johns are vastly different.

Johns persona has changed for the better since he joined Fox. He doesn't suck up to the players and come out with the same old hackneyed expressions "It's not his go", and say to every player on the panel "You're a legend, mate!" which he did on The Footy Show (the one thing that I strongly disliked during his tenure there). However, even on NRL on Fox, he seems way out of place when he's alongside Warren Smith and Brandy. You instantly feel he's like the odd one out on the panel. Maybe this is accentuated by the fact he's always butting in and even when they have discussions, like Dellavision (although not quite as bad as him), he's moving his mouth when someone else is talking, thinking about what to say next rather than listening to the player talking. Very bad habit.

Last edited:

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/...-codes-strengths/story-fn5k30ac-1226305264231

David Gallop says saturation of Sydney with nine NRL clubs is one of the code's strengths

FOX SPORTS
March 20, 2012 2:13PM

NRL Commission chief executive David Gallop says that saturating Sydney with nine NRL clubs is one of the code’s strengths, not a weakness.

Expansion talk and discussion about Gold Coast Titans' financial viability have made headlines recently, but Gallop, who will appear on Wednesday night’s episode of NRL on FOX, says that he doesn’t want to see any NRL clubs fall over.

"People talk about the number of teams in Sydney, but my view is that our saturation with nine teams is very important for the game’s future," Gallop says.

"We need to make sure we maintain that saturation.

"It’s too early to speculate what you might do if that wasn’t to happen.

"But I think saturation in Sydney is an important part of the game’s strength."

Watch the full interview with David Gallop on NRL on FOX, Wednesday night, 8.30 (EDT), Fox Sports 2 HD.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
FOX SPORTS’ flagship weekly Rugby League show NRL on FOX will move to a new 8.30pm timeslot on Wednesday night, where it will remain throughout the 2012 NRL season.

Joining co-hosts Matthew Johns and Warren Smith on this week’s show will be former Blues enforcer Mark Geyer and Storm captain Cameron Smith from 8.30pm AEDT tomorrow on FOX SPORTS 2HD & FOX SPORTS 2.

Dragons five-eighth Jamie Soward will join the panel to discuss his side’s mixed start to the season and this weekend’s eagerly-anticipated clash with defending Premiers Manly.

Also stopping by the new set will be last night’s victorious Sharks skipper Paul Gallen, while The Daily Telegraph’s Paul Kent will return for another round of ‘Contrary Conduct’ and Lara Pitt will provide all the latest breaking team news and NRL gossip.

This week’s edition will also feature an exclusive interview with ARL Commission CEO, David Gallop, who will discuss a range of hot issues including expansion, the salary cap and the highly-debated player contracting system.

NRL on FOX is broadcast on FOX SPORTS and is available to FOXTEL and AUSTAR sports subscribers.

Source: FOX Sports Media Release

gronkathon

First Grade
So much for the no bias Matty Johns.

Seems he would happily crawl up Bellamy's arse and live out his days there

babyg

Juniors
Highlights show is brilliant.
NRL on fox brillant too.
Smith holds it together well.
Monday show is loose with Johns hosting.

Ferryman

Juniors
I must say that I thought the whole show last night flowed really well. Obviously they are finding their feet and learning to be comfortable with each other but Smith does an excellent job of holding it together, Johns gives just enough hint of what lies beneath and MG is prepared to say over the top comments (that are sometimes missed by his co-panelists e.g. last night talking of the hypocrisy of Women in League round if Robert Lui is allowed to continue in the game).

Contrary Conduct is excellent and could escalate if people have strong differing views on a given subject, which didn't happen last night.

Usain Bolt

Bench
Who was just watching that segment with Matty Johns and Farah when Farah swore.

Farah was fired up saying Matty ambushed him, best part was when Farah said to matty "Mate thats your opinion, im sure people have opinions on things you've done" and then there was awkward silence lol

eozsmiles

Bench
What about? I read the tweets and he has some support from El Masri and Anasta who both must've seen it.

Asking the tough questions.

Latest posts