What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Melbourne Stadium

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
:lol::lol::lol:

f**k you are a classic.

The storm will not average 20 000 for at least not another decade.

When you think about it it isn't such a big deal. Their minimum crowd will increase and they'll very likely have a few games each season where the crowd goes close to capacity. They could be up there with the Cowboys and Knights pretty quickly.

eastsrule

Bench
I will be stunned if the storm can't average 20,000 for a season before 2020.

By 2020, maybe.

But for someone to say that a new stadium will equate to a 20 000 average (which has never been achieved, even in huge RL markets) is insane.

The bin? No wait... the bin?

After watching games at ANZ Stadium (QE2 brisbane) for so long and going to Suncorp... it makes such a difference. Such a positive atmosphere at the ground encourages the crowd numbers.

Hey, I didn't say I don't want to move, but I've had a lot of fun at OP over the years was all I was referring to!

Yep Joel, they got the capacity pushed up to 31k and joined in the party... I'd have rathered they didn't so we had a 20-25k capacity as that's realistically all we'll need, but in the end, as long as we have a rectangle stadium, i'll deal with that!

VictoryFC

Bench
wait victory are useing it now ???

thats crap, they said they didnt want it now they do ???????

You have to be the biggest moron - this guy puts "Melbourne Victory" amongst his "teams" signature, and doesn't know that the only reason the stadium got pushed up to 31k is because the Victory refused to budge on the 20 odd thousand that was planned.

Make no mistake, this stadium needs Victory much more than it needs the Storm, there was no way the government could let that slide - simply no way 250 million would warrant Storm crowds only for half a year - and I think all sports fans should be thankful that its over the 30k mark, and not the capacity that was proposed.

Victory will be christening the stadium with a friendly against a Greek side, most probably AEK Athens.

You have to be the biggest moron - this guy puts "Melbourne Victory" amongst his "teams" signature, and doesn't know that the only reason the stadium got pushed up to 31k is because the Victory refused to budge on the 20 odd thousand that was planned.

Make no mistake, this stadium needs Victory much more than it needs the Storm, there was no way the government could let that slide - simply no way 250 million would warrant Storm crowds only for half a year - and I think all sports fans should be thankful that its over the 30k mark, and not the capacity that was proposed.

Victory will be christening the stadium with a friendly against a Greek side, most probably AEK Athens.

The stadium needs both of the teams. It simply would not have been built if only one of the teams needed it. Although its worth pointing out that the NRL did more to get the stadium built than soccer did.

But the reality is the storm will benefit from the stadium more than the victory will.

I agree on the 30K mark though. 20K was just way to small for the storm to have rooom for growth. The goal in a one team town the size of melbourne should be averaging over 20K. You dont want to be turning people away at the gates in a rugby league hostile city .

T to the T

Juniors
Could be soon that the Storm will be getting the same size crowds as the South Melbourne Swans in Sydney:shock:

lost interrest last year , the teams have been in my sig for a while now

all i was saying is the last i heard victory were complaining they would rather play at mcg(i think? or Telstra?)

Perth Red

Post Whore
The strong rumour here is that, boyed with the success of the Force, and with a real threat that South Africa may pull out of Super 14 the ARU/NZRU are positioning themselves to go it alone with an Australasian comp that would include a Melbourne team and a Pacific Island team joining the existing Australian and NZ teams.

Could be hot air but the ARU are certainly making noises about Melbourne being their next target.

Ice777

Bench

Yet another self important (is there any other kind?) Victory fan who thinks the team is that much more important than they actually are. The Stadium was always going to go ahead with or without the Victory albeit at a smaller capacity which i would've been more than happy with. Even happier that the Victory wouldn't have been there.

All the Victory were successful at doing was delaying the start/completion dates of the stadium by f**king everyone involved around and stalling the whole process by well over a year after initially agreeing to the original capacity. If it wasn't for them the stadium would've more than likely have been finished by now.

Personally i think 27,500 that was proposed at one stage would've been the perfect number.

Last edited:

brendothejet

First Grade
My god we find some dumb things to argue over in here...

FFS melbourne is getting a brand new rectangular field which will allow first class facilities to be experienced by players and spectators. Major victory if you ask me for both soccer and league.

Would it really be such a bad country if soccer and league overwhelmed afl and union and crushed them?

ahhhhhh.....

T to the T

Juniors
Football and RL co-exist fine in the UK playing in different seasons and using the same stadiums (In the case of Wigan and Hull), see no reason why they can't do the same downunder.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
The strong rumour here is that, boyed with the success of the Force, and with a real threat that South Africa may pull out of Super 14 the ARU/NZRU are positioning themselves to go it alone with an Australasian comp that would include a Melbourne team and a Pacific Island team joining the existing Australian and NZ teams.

Could be hot air but the ARU are certainly making noises about Melbourne being their next target.

The only rumour I've heard is for the Brumbies to relocate to Melbourne. The ARU can't afford to create another franchise like the Farce. THe money nor the players numbers just aren't there.

If SA do drop out of the S14 then union in Australia and NZ will have massive issues. Your A/NZ comp would become nothing more than a feeder comp to the Euro/SA comps.

Latest posts