What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Melbourne Stadium

eastsrule

Bench
There will be a major union team in Victoria within a decade. That is definite.

I'm with other people on the matter of the stadium, it is fantastic to have a modern RECTANGULAR stadium, the fact that other sports will be playing there is actually also a benefit to Rugby League.

Timbo

Staff member
The only rumour I've heard is for the Brumbies to relocate to Melbourne. The ARU can't afford to create another franchise like the Farce. THe money nor the players numbers just aren't there.

If SA do drop out of the S14 then union in Australia and NZ will have massive issues. Your A/NZ comp would become nothing more than a feeder comp to the Euro/SA comps.

That's where you're wrong. The money exists with or without the teams from the Republic. TV deals to the northern hemisphere alone generate a lot of cash.

If SA pulled out of the S14 it could actually be benificial to Australia and New Zealand. It's a pain in the backside to get up to watch your team play at 4am in Cape Town.

Also the rumour is S14 will be going full season home/away within 5 years. Add that to the NPC going amatuer you could concievably see the S14 being 8-9 NZ teams and 5-6 Australian teams by 2012-2015.

And the Brumbies aren't going anywhere, that was all hot air.

But my point is, you can bet there will be a S14 team using that stadium within ten years.

Calixte

First Grade
There will be a major union team in Victoria within a decade. That is definite.

I'm with other people on the matter of the stadium, it is fantastic to have a modern RECTANGULAR stadium, the fact that other sports will be playing there is actually also a benefit to Rugby League.

Keep praying and crawl back into TFC while you are at it, netballer.

:lol:

Calixte

First Grade
I agree with the other posters that the Storm will improve their crowds significantly when they go to the new stadium.

Av. 20,000 is certainly not out of reach within the first 3 years of use. In my view, it will be met within that timeframe.

The growth of the Storm has been steady. The 33,000 last year for the final in Melbourne was proof of that.

Digga Hole

Juniors
I agree with the other posters that the Storm will improve their crowds significantly when they go to the new stadium.

Av. 20,000 is certainly not out of reach within the first 3 years of use. In my view, it will be met within that timeframe.

The growth of the Storm has been steady. The 33,000 last year for the final in Melbourne was proof of that.

The approx 20,000 for round 1 this year is further proof. Good crowd in spite of the stupid f@rking NRL putting the game on Monday night when there was no AFL on in Melbourne that weekend.

meltiger

First Grade

I'd be very suprised if the first Storm game there doesn't sell out and the next few crowds to be highish by their standards. If the Storm are winning, there is no reason they can't keep that up and maintain a much higher average than at present.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
That's where you're wrong.
The ARU can't afford to create a 5th S14 side as they lack the money and players. Also an A/NZ comp would become a second rate competition to whatever is in Europe / SA. How is any of that wrong?

The money exists with or without the teams from the Republic.

There will be a lot less money offered for a comp that has most of the teams in NZ and none in 'exotic' places like SA. Also factor in that any such comp will almost certainly become a feeder comp to the Euro+SA comps. There will be fewer stars playing in a second rate competition so naturally there will be less interest and the the tv deal will probably decrease.

TV deals to the northern hemisphere alone generate a lot of cash.
That has what to do with Australia?

If SA pulled out of the S14 it could actually be benificial to Australia and New Zealand. It's a pain in the backside to get up to watch your team play at 4am in Cape Town.
Some fans might prefer it sure, but what does that have to do with anything I said?

Also the rumour is S14 will be going full season home/away within 5 years. Add that to the NPC going amatuer you could concievably see the S14 being 8-9 NZ teams and 5-6 Australian teams by 2012-2015.
I've heard that one aswell. If anything it just further supports what I said above.

And the Brumbies aren't going anywhere, that was all hot air.
I was told by someone involved with the QRU that he expects the Brumbies to be in Melbourne fulltime within a decade. Of course it's just a rumour but to me it carries more weight than fan speculation on the internet.

But my point is, you can bet there will be a S14 team using that stadium within ten years.
Where did I say anything to disagree with that?

Brutus

Referee
Can't wait to see this new stadium when completed.

Will be the best thing for RL in Victoria.

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
The approx 20,000 for round 1 this year is further proof. Good crowd in spite of the stupid f@rking NRL putting the game on Monday night when there was no AFL on in Melbourne that weekend.

Well considering Round 1 was played at the Dome orwhatever it's called now then yeah that crowd was alot bigger

KalgoorlieRed

Juniors
I spotted this fella a week or so ago at Olympic Park with the new stadium behind Mozza.
3025798285_fcfa244512_o.jpg

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
:lol: Chip on your shoulder much? First a whinge about sponsorship in the game and now about Melbourne?

Dogs Of War

Coach
edited for accuracy.
C'mon mate. Doesn't matter who owns the team. If Melbourne start doing well with crowds etc, Rugby League gains as a whole. As you can see from my sig, that I have no love of News Ltd, but this stadium has the potential to make the game a hell of a lot better as an event in Melbourne.

MsStorm

Bench
C'mon mate. Doesn't matter who owns the team. If Melbourne start doing well with crowds etc, Rugby League gains as a whole. As you can see from my sig, that I have no love of News Ltd, but this stadium has the potential to make the game a hell of a lot better as an event in Melbourne.

I am a convert to rugby league (as a number of my friends) and if it wasn't for Storm I wouldn't have a team to follow in Melb. because I don't like afl.

The new stadium will be massive for league in Melb. As much as I also have very fond memories of O. Park it is very primitive with its facilities.
Unless you are a reserved seat member, you have to stand on concrete slabs and soil, littered by empty beer containers, 1 toilet block with about 8 toilets for the ladies - queueing for ages, shocking food and drink outlet, etc. etc. so that alone will attract a lot of new people to the game.

AFL people in Melbourne are really spoilt with the Dome (undercover) and the MCG and even the fairly newly refurbished Skilled Stadium at Geelong and expect proper facilities and seating. Storm supporters for 11 years (apart the one year at the Dome) have endured poor facilities with very little cover from the cold winters in Melb.

We are in a very hostile afl territory here in Melbourne and doing very well off and on the field. When was the last time you heard a Melb. Storm player get into trouble in a nightclub? Even the media and afl people praise the Storm in that area and say we are a credit to Melb. and a very good role model club to follow.

Having said all of the above, I think its important the team stays competitive at least in the short-term and certainly need the moral support from NSW and Q'ld. as do the Warriors and Canberra.

Try a forget about this News Ltd. stuff. The team has to start somehow and last year we had over 8,500 members, with the eventual aim to be like the afl teams being a membership based club and we do earn our keep with extra tv rights, merchandise, travel, etc etc etc.

Brownie.Kougari

Juniors
I am a convert to rugby league (as a number of my friends) and if it wasn't for Storm I wouldn't have a team to follow in Melb. because I don't like afl.

The new stadium will be massive for league in Melb. As much as I also have very fond memories of O. Park it is very primitive with its facilities.
Unless you are a reserved seat member, you have to stand on concrete slabs and soil, littered by empty beer containers, 1 toilet block with about 8 toilets for the ladies - queueing for ages, shocking food and drink outlet, etc. etc. so that alone will attract a lot of new people to the game.

AFL people in Melbourne are really spoilt with the Dome (undercover) and the MCG and even the fairly newly refurbished Skilled Stadium at Geelong and expect proper facilities and seating. Storm supporters for 11 years (apart the one year at the Dome) have endured poor facilities with very little cover from the cold winters in Melb.

We are in a very hostile afl territory here in Melbourne and doing very well off and on the field. When was the last time you heard a Melb. Storm player get into trouble in a nightclub? Even the media and afl people praise the Storm in that area and say we are a credit to Melb. and a very good role model club to follow.

Having said all of the above, I think its important the team stays competitive at least in the short-term and certainly need the moral support from NSW and Q'ld. as do the Warriors and Canberra.

Try a forget about this News Ltd. stuff. The team has to start somehow and last year we had over 8,500 members, with the eventual aim to be like the afl teams being a membership based club and we do earn our keep with extra tv rights, merchandise, travel, etc etc etc.

Good post

KalgoorlieRed

Juniors

I must admit, after my week stay in Melbourne recently, I never found any AFL fan say a thing against the Storm. They may not like the Sydney based NRL, but one thing for sure is that Melbournians will support a Melbourne team against the rivals up north! Good on them!

AuckMel

Bench

I'm actually going to take out a membership when the new stadium is built.

Latest posts