What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Melbourne Stadium

Perth Red

Post Whore
Spent the week in Melbourne and took the chance to have a look at it. It is going to be brilliant and already dwarfes Olympic Park. I'll definately be trying to get tickets for the opening Storm game there!

Digga Hole

Juniors
She's starting to come together (also the old OP for those who haven't been).

11442622wu3.jpg

Digga Hole

Juniors
This gives you an idea of where it fits in, the south-east edge of the city is in the top right hand corner, MCG, Rod Laver Arena and the rest of the NTC, Hisense (nee Vodaphone) Arena, old OP and Lexus centre (CFC training base, formerly the 56' Olympic pool) also in the shot, with the Botanical Gardens on the left over the river. Thanks to JJ from the MVFC forum for the photos.

51030202eg3.jpg

Last edited:

meltiger

First Grade
lol

Look at the sh*thole next to the new stadium in Digga's photos and people wonder why the Storm only average what they do.

I've never actually thought about this before, but looking at those aerials ... The new stadium has seemingly obliterated Collingwood's training field! :lol:

Digga Hole

Juniors
lol

Look at the sh*thole next to the new stadium in Digga's photos and people wonder why the Storm only average what they do.

I've never actually thought about this before, but looking at those aerials ... The new stadium has seemingly obliterated Collingwood's training field! :lol:

Collingwood are actually getting a new training ground where the current OP is once athletics is moved to Bob Jane Stadium in Albert Park. This ground is also to be the headquarters of Football Victoria (Aussie rules) and will also host VFL matches.

This is all expected to happen once the new stadium is finished and is believed to have been part of the deal to get this stadium built on Collingwoods current training ground.

Like you, I would expect Storms crowds to improve significantly once the new stadium is done (I know I will find it easier to convince people to go with me).

CHRIS SANDOW

Juniors
This gives you an idea of where it fits in, the south-east edge of the city is in the top right hand corner, MCG, Rod Laver Arena and the rest of the NTC, Hisense (nee Vodaphone) Arena, old OP and Lexus centre (CFC training base, formerly the 56' Olympic pool) also in the shot, with the Botanical Gardens on the left over the river. Thanks to JJ from the MVFC forum for the photos.

51030202eg3.jpg

Seems like there is a lack of parking to cater for the new stadium. Is there a train station nearby and good bus transport?

RUNVS

Juniors
Seems like there is a lack of parking to cater for the new stadium. Is there a train station nearby and good bus transport?

If its next to the MCG (capacity of 100,000) then i dont think you have to worry about transport and parking.

yakstorm

First Grade
The Storm's new ground is well catered by public transport (train, bus, tram), and there are a few parking stations around, that said honestly it's part of the Victorian sporting culture to catch public transport to sporting events, so there is no need to build any new parking areas.

Noa

First Grade

Not a long walk from the CBD, Crown car parks in particular. You can pig out in the food-court then walk it off.

AILD

Bench

sure is.

when i went down during the year we stayed in the mantra hotel...i could see OP from my room. its only a 5 min walk and your there.

T to the T

Juniors
You reckon that the Storm's popularity in Melbourne will be bigger than the South Melbourne Swan's support in Sydney when the Storm move into this stadium?

VictoryFC

Bench

51030202eg3ge5.jpg

Also, buses aren't considered a real mode of transport anyway. Just to the right of the MCG at the edge of a picture are tram lines, and there are tram lines leading up behind Olympic Park. Its basically the heart of the city as I said, and with a 100,000k MCG there, you know theres no dramas regarding accessibility.

Digga Hole

Juniors

This is an old photo (circa 2003) but tells the story.

The park area around the MCG is used for parking at events held there and also for the Australian Open. It is likely that this will also be used for the new stadium (pending availability and weather).

Richmond train station can be seen at the bottom left hand corner of the photo and Jolimont train station is to the right of the MCG just in front the the hotel (Hilton, the brown one).

Trams run along the road (Wellington Parade) between the Hilton and the MCG and the concrete strip between the MCG and the Tennis Centre on the edge of the train lines is another tram track, with a stop under the middle foot bridge.

Buses run alonf Punt Road which is the main road at the bottom of the photo.

The ground is also only a short stroll from the city, which has been made even easier with a new walking track/bridge built for in 2006 (not seen in this photo but effectively straight up from the MCG, over the train lines and then to where the city proper meets the river.

Accessibiltiy, in all its forms, will be no worries at all.

The new stadium and the old OP are just visible on the left hand edge of the photo.

Yarra-Park.jpg

Last edited:

legend

Coach
I was in Melbourne last weekend and loved it. I wold seriously travel down to watch the Raiders and Storm play at the new ground in 2010. Great looking ground and plenty to do in Melbourne at night.

NRLMad

Juniors
I am a convert to rugby league (as a number of my friends) and if it wasn't for Storm I wouldn't have a team to follow in Melb. because I don't like afl.

The new stadium will be massive for league in Melb. As much as I also have very fond memories of O. Park it is very primitive with its facilities.
Unless you are a reserved seat member, you have to stand on concrete slabs and soil, littered by empty beer containers, 1 toilet block with about 8 toilets for the ladies - queueing for ages, shocking food and drink outlet, etc. etc. so that alone will attract a lot of new people to the game.

AFL people in Melbourne are really spoilt with the Dome (undercover) and the MCG and even the fairly newly refurbished Skilled Stadium at Geelong and expect proper facilities and seating. Storm supporters for 11 years (apart the one year at the Dome) have endured poor facilities with very little cover from the cold winters in Melb.

We are in a very hostile afl territory here in Melbourne and doing very well off and on the field. When was the last time you heard a Melb. Storm player get into trouble in a nightclub? Even the media and afl people praise the Storm in that area and say we are a credit to Melb. and a very good role model club to follow.

Having said all of the above, I think its important the team stays competitive at least in the short-term and certainly need the moral support from NSW and Q'ld. as do the Warriors and Canberra.

Try a forget about this News Ltd. stuff. The team has to start somehow and last year we had over 8,500 members, with the eventual aim to be like the afl teams being a membership based club and we do earn our keep with extra tv rights, merchandise, travel, etc etc etc.

Agreed - i'd expect their crowds to increase at least by 3-5K - hence on average 18-20K - the really big games - Brisbane, Saints, GC would attract at least 25K-30K if not selling out.

You only need to look at origin in melbourne to nkow they can draw a crowd.

Paullyboy

Coach
Melbourne love to jump on a bandwagon, so the stadium will go awesome for at least one week, I just hope it lasts longer than most bandwagon support in Melbourne generally does.

Latest posts