What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Melbourne Stadium

Perth Red

Post Whore
Melbourne love to jump on a bandwagon, so the stadium will go awesome for at least one week, I just hope it lasts longer than most bandwagon support in Melbourne generally does.

Is that so? It seems most melbourne clubs have a reasonably stable fanbase when it comes to attendances. the Storms has grown year on year with no down turn for the last 4 seasons.

KalgoorlieRed

Juniors
This is an old photo (circa 2003) but tells the story.

The park area around the MCG is used for parking at events held there and also for the Australian Open. It is likely that this will also be used for the new stadium (pending availability and weather).

Richmond train station can be seen at the bottom left hand corner of the photo and Jolimont train station is to the right of the MCG just in front the the hotel (Hilton, the brown one).

Trams run along the road (Wellington Parade) between the Hilton and the MCG and the concrete strip between the MCG and the Tennis Centre on the edge of the train lines is another tram track, with a stop under the middle foot bridge.

Buses run alonf Punt Road which is the main road at the bottom of the photo.

The ground is also only a short stroll from the city, which has been made even easier with a new walking track/bridge built for in 2006 (not seen in this photo but effectively straight up from the MCG, over the train lines and then to where the city proper meets the river.

Accessibiltiy, in all its forms, will be no worries at all.

The new stadium and the old OP are just visible on the left hand edge of the photo.

Yarra-Park.jpg
This is an old pic, as Eureka isn't even built! lol

LESStar58

Referee
public transport is really good in melbourne (is for the F1 anyway)

Depends how close to the city you are. I grew up in the outer eastern suburbs and PT was rubbish (had to wait 4 hours for trains on Sunday). I now live in Thornbury (just near fitzroy) and I can PT it at decent intervals whenever I feel so inclined. Good for getting home after a good night on the piss at the footy!

Ryan

Juniors
Lucky buggars you Storm folk are ! Don't know if you've been to Brookie lately, but all I can say is I'm very envious. You'll have a great team, AND a great home ground. We just have a great team.

Thankfully, the brilliant Brooky crowd, and family atmosphere somewhat make up for the delapotated ground.

I hope it brings you guys in more $$$ too. I'd love to see you guys become more independent of News Limited, but hey, I'm definitely not turning up my nose to any entity bringing in $$$ to our great sport.

I want to know why Sarah O'hare doesn't put the hard word on Murdoch, and make him sponsor the Eags too.

If I had an arse like hers, I'd be getting anything I wanted. She gets free advertising out of The Eagles in her Eagles Angels...time for her to give back ! Well, give back some of her mans money anyways !

Last edited:

BrisVegas

Juniors
Here is a new photo courtesy of Dasher over on the Melbourne Victory forum:

100_1639.jpg

And a newish article about the new stadium:

Stadium Race is on

Ian Royall
December 26, 2008 12:00am

THE race is on for the right to host the first game at Melbourne's newest sports venue.

Rugby league's Melbourne Storm and soccer's Melbourne Victory hope to host the showpiece debut in the rectangular stadium being built in the city's sporting precinct.

The $320 million project, also known as the Bubble Stadium because of its bold roof design, will be completed within a year.

It will then be open in early 2010, in time for either the end of the A-League summer season or the start of the NRL premiership.

The naming rights to the 31,000-seat venue are up for sale and are expected to attract a $3 million price tag.

A rectangular stadium, suitable for soccer and the two rugby codes, is considered the missing link in Melbourne's sporting venue line-up.

It is being built on Edwin Flack Field on Olympic Boulevard, formerly Swan St.

Grocon spokeswoman Jane Wilson said construction was due to finish late next year.

Melbourne Olympics Parks Trust will manage the venue, and ticket prices and memberships will be controlled by the clubs.

A Melbourne Victory spokesman said that club members would be granted priority access to stadium memberships.

Which team hosts the first-game party could depend on the A-League's 2009-2010 fixtures, yet to be drawn up.

More than 30 games a year will be played at the new stadium, also expected to be used for concerts and other events.

Here's hoping for a sell-out for the Storm's first game played there. Waldron is already making some noise in the press that he wants the Storm to play the Dragons there in Round 1 2010.

beave

Coach
Looks superb. Can only be positive for the storm with getting AND keeping crowds. Wish we could get a bit more reno $$$$$$ from the government up here in NQ and have something similar..................

MsStorm

Bench
Lucky buggars you Storm folk are ! Don't know if you've been to Brookie lately, but all I can say is I'm very envious. You'll have a great team, AND a great home ground. We just have a great team.

Still can't believe it...seriously.. I have not been to Brooky, but have a big ambition to get there asap... surely, could not be nearly as bad as Olympic Park? That's so sweet of you to say that and I hope your ground is upgraded very soon too. It looks ok on tv though, but so does Olympic Park at night:lol:

Thankfully, the brilliant Brooky crowd, and family atmosphere somewhat make up for the delapotated ground.

I hope it brings you guys in more $$$ too. I'd love to see you guys become more independent of News Limited, but hey, I'm definitely not turning up my nose to any entity bringing in $$$ to our great sport.

The Storm are really trying to turn the club into a membership stand alone club as the afl clubs are here in Melb. hence such a big push for memberships, which should also apply to all nrl clubs. The new stadium should help.
Its not going to be easy because afl is no.1 here, but I really believe eventually league will really grow in this city. The population has increased heaps and on current growth, Victoria will have a bigger population than NSW within 20 years.

I want to know why Sarah O'hare doesn't put the hard word on Murdoch, and make him sponsor the Eags too.

She's doing a great job for the Eagles..its great to see females getting involved at board level?. This is why afl's popularity has grown, believe it or not.

If I had an arse like hers, I'd be getting anything I wanted. She gets free advertising out of The Eagles in her Eagles Angels...time for her to give back ! Well, give back some of her mans money anyways !

She's got to be strong and show some leadership...its not just a man's world in league..

Last edited:

MsStorm

Bench
Here is a new photo courtesy of Dasher over on the Melbourne Victory forum:

100_1639.jpg

And a newish article about the new stadium:​

Here's hoping for a sell-out for the Storm's first game played there. Waldron is already making some noise in the press that he wants the Storm to play the Dragons there in Round 1 2010.​

Wow..thanks for that what a massive change since the final against the Warriors.
I think the Victory will be the first team to play there, however, I think they are playing a greek team in a trial or something.

But no matter...

Storm vs Dragons from Waldron...I personally think if we could draw the Broncos over for the 1st game would be better or even the Warriors, but whoever, I am sure we'll get a huge turnout and hope they keep coming back!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Looks a great stadiuma nd so nice to see it being done with a unique feature that will make it stand out from the rest. I'll be booking my plane ticket for the first Storm game there I'm sure.

This is a really important part of that article:
"Melbourne Olympics Parks Trust will manage the venue, and ticket prices and memberships will be controlled by the clubs"

It means that the club will continue to push for bigger crowds and bigger memberships and reap the rewards of that rather than being on a fixed appearance price like those using ANZ.

MsStorm

Bench
Looks a great stadiuma nd so nice to see it being done with a unique feature that will make it stand out from the rest. I'll be booking my plane ticket for the first Storm game there I'm sure.

This is a really important part of that article:
"Melbourne Olympics Parks Trust will manage the venue, and ticket prices and memberships will be controlled by the clubs"

It means that the club will continue to push for bigger crowds and bigger memberships and reap the rewards of that rather than being on a fixed appearance price like those using ANZ.

Good point. When I rang the Storm membership office late last week, voiced my concerns about huge possible rises for memberships at the new stadium when I read a thread on the new Titans stadium...and was assured it would be as minimal as possible.

I know it was only the membership dept...but they would surely have this in mind when the time comes for renewals for next year...they do realise we are not the Broncos:D