What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New NRL commission as News Ltd plans to exit game

Should John Howard chair the NRL commission?

• Total voters

Brutus

Referee
We don't need Gerry Harvey. The guy has no idea or interest in football apart from his sponsorship. His wife would be a much better candidate because she actually follows the game. Obviously Gerry is a successful guy, but we need someone with a bit of footy nouse as well.

John Fahey is the bloke I'd like to see in the position.

Goddo

Bench
^ I agree. If you are going to pick a poly, you have to get one who is neutral/respected by both sides, like John Fahy or John Faulkner. They aren't as big a name, but aren't divisive like say John Howard.

Gippsy

Bench
Welcome to the world of Anthony Albanese. An absolutely f**king petty wanker.

Seems to be a pretty apt description.

Seriously, who does this Albanese clown think he is to influence the NRL in its decision making?

Mr Albanese told the Herald he did not act in his capacity as a minister and the issue of funding was never raised by himself or anyone else.

Then what capacity was this clown acting in? As a Rabbitoh fan? Why then has the NRL apparently scuppered the idea?

Petty party politics. The labor party should be ashamed & embarrassed.

morley101

Juniors
We might need to appoint Graham Richardson he doesn't mind treading on
some toes to get things sorted. Not to mention if anybody needs to be shown the exit door..

nadine

Juniors
^ I agree. If you are going to pick a poly, you have to get one who is neutral/respected by both sides, like John Fahy or John Faulkner. They aren't as big a name, but aren't divisive like say John Howard.
John Fahey would be out of the running since he's chairman of the World Anti-Doping Agency.

Dogs Of War

Coach
John Fahey would be out of the running since he's chairman of the World Anti-Doping Agency.

Who knows. Maybe it's something he would be interested in. Though he did play for the Bulldogs, so some may not like it, but I do think it will be hard to find anyone who loves League and doesn't support any particular team.

bartman

Immortal
Good to see common sense prevail... Howard is a divisive dinosaur who wouldn't bring anything to the table.

Look at his final quote in that article:

little johnny said:
''I wish the game of rugby league well and I'll continue to follow it with sympathy,'' he said.
?? WTF ???

El Diablo

Post Whore
common sense :lol:

Albanese being a f**kwit is not sensible at all. something you'd expect from an imbecile though

Fein

First Grade
Good to see common sense prevail... Howard is a divisive dinosaur who wouldn't bring anything to the table.

Look at his final quote in that article:

?? WTF ???

Spot on Bartman.

Well done Anthony, always doing us proud. ;-)

Now f**k off little Johnny and don't come back now, ya hear!!

Perth Red

Post Whore
What about ex NSW deputy John Watkins? He is currently CEO of a charity in Sydney and comes across well on TV?

Fein

First Grade
What about ex NSW deputy John Watkins? He is currently CEO of a charity in Sydney and comes across well on TV?

Yeah sure, a possibility.

John Fahey would be an excellent choice - he was a key in winning the 2000 Olympics, played the game and is passionate about his team.

nadine

Juniors
Either Fahey or Watkins would be good, but I guess it depends if they can do two jobs at once (in terms of contractual agreements, etc).

Watkins only took on his position at Alzheimers' NSW last year and Fahey became Chairman late last year or early this year of World Anti-Doping Organisation. So I guess it depends how long their contracts are with each one and the conditions attached to them.

Still Albanese's act was bloody low.

Green Machine

First Grade
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/spo...gby-league-boss-given-boot-20091023-hbkm.html

In 2007, before the election, Mr Howard promised the NRL $10 million to help it build a new headquarters for the commission.
Sounds like Phil Coorey is trying to rewrite history:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/09/30/2047244.htm?site=elections/federal/2007
Howard promises millions for rugby league centenary

Posted Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:45pm AEST
Prime Minister John Howard has announced that the Federal Government will spend $12.5 million on celebrations for rugby league's centenary in Australia.
The Federal Government will put about $10 million towards a rugby league hall of fame which will permanently house the sport's memorabilia.

BIKER_DRAGON

Juniors
Hell yea Little Johnny Jackboots should get the gig.....But hey he needs to learn to sound like Elmer Fudd when he talks. It will give him heaps more street cred.