What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New NRL commission as News Ltd plans to exit game

Should John Howard chair the NRL commission?

• Total voters

griff

Bench
Janette Howard would be a better choice than Colin Love.

Honestly, this is a massive kick to the head of the commission's credo.

Might as well leave it the way it is.

He did pretty well organising the World Cup last year, and the World Sevens for many years.

Even if the commission doesn't get up, News Ltd are still obliged to exit the game in 2017 and the ARL will resume full control.

Brutus

Referee
He did pretty well organising the World Cup last year, and the World Sevens for many years.

World Sevens?? Where are you???

Great media deals done for last year's world cup too.

We are forever in his debt.

meltiger

First Grade
Voted yes without even a thought.

Colin Love, give me a break. People are right, just a return to the same old, same old.

Would be as helpful as handing 100% control to News

Brutus

Referee
Agree meltiger, just give News full control and be done with it.

I'll just stick to following QLD Cup.

griff

Bench
World Sevens?? Where are you???

Great media deals done for last year's world cup too.

We are forever in his debt.

He organised extremely successful and profitable World Sevens for many years. The RLWC made a tidy profit too. The media deals were better than the current NRL ones. It's not a bad track record all things considered.

Obviously you have a problem with him. I've been critical of him in the past as well. But he's better than when the QRL briefly ran the ARL, and much better than Geoff Carr. You could do a lot worse.

Brutus

Referee
He organised extremely successful and profitable World Sevens for many years. The RLWC made a tidy profit too. The media deals were better than the current NRL ones. It's not a bad track record all things considered.

The media deals weren't any different to the current NRL ones in terms of networks used. Same old same old for less.

The World Sevens has been on the sh*t pile for years. We'd still have a tournament if it was worth it.

The last World Sevens wasn't even shown on Pay TV. Nine showed the semis and final - that was about it.

TimmyB

Juniors
f**k I wish Colin Love would just f**k off and die. This is the bloke that charged legal fees for services provided to the game - when any number of fans would have done it ex gratia. Piece of sh*t maggot parasite.

Raider_69

Post Whore
If its a choice of what we have now or a commission with Love in charge, ill take now all day
the man is a f**king grub, his kind are exactly the problem in our game, old dinosaurs with more interest in their own back pockets than doing whats right for the game and its development. I hope the prick chokes on his cerial tomorrow.

Love is a f**king merkin.

Whos Ya Daddy

First Grade
Just when we begin to see light at the end of the tunnel...

The f**king things collapses.

Colin Love? f**k ME!!!

Green Machine

First Grade
I wouldn’t believe anything Phil Rothfield or Rebecca Wilson would say. Especially anything from their grubby gossip column. Phil Rothfield doesn’t like the Labor Party and wouldn’t be surprised that he had his nose out of joint because of the Commonwealth/State funded provided for the new facility for the RL’s. Things like who is going to be on an Independent Commission should be left until all the details are worked out on how the current structure can be dissolved,

Brutus

Referee
Yeah lets sweep out the sh*t and have this snazzy new independent commission and appoint C. Love as the head guy.

Maybe that was printed in the Telegraph just to rile a few people or maybe just for a laugh.

babyg

Juniors
It can't be independent with those dicks there.

Why can't the clubs just start their own comp and sell the rights to 7 and 10. or threaton it anyway.

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
If its a choice of what we have now or a commission with Love in charge, ill take now all day
the man is a f**king grub, his kind are exactly the problem in our game, old dinosaurs with more interest in their own back pockets than doing whats right for the game and its development. I hope the prick chokes on his cerial tomorrow.

Love is a f**king merkin.

Remember the Beatles:

There's nothing you can do that can't be done.
Chorus: Love, Love, Love.

To be true to its history, we need to have a chairman paid $500K per annum to keep a seat warm and do sweet FA. Col's perfect.

Brutus

Referee
Colin-Love-Rugby-League-Supremo.jpg

The King of RUGBY LEAGUE

Green Machine

First Grade
Yeah lets sweep out the sh*t and have this snazzy new independent commission and appoint C. Love as the head guy.

Maybe that was printed in the Telegraph just to rile a few people or maybe just for a laugh.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Phil Rothfield is privy to information that News Corp only know about. I wouldn’t want the ARL or the NRL clubs to take their eyes off the ball during these negotiations like Arthurson and Quayle did in 1995 and believe that the Packers were going to be their White Knights (interesting exposé on Jamie Packer on Corner Corners tonight). I hope they tread very careful with the new structure of the game and make sure they are going to be set up with a booby prize again with future rights and revenue. I hope they taking an interest in what that the effects of the governments legislation into the separation of Telstra and who will be the ultimate owner of Foxtel. I hope they are boned up on who could broadcast on the new NBN they will be rolled out shortly. Rothfield is a grub of the highest order. The NRL and the ARL need to know that his first consideration is News Corp’s interests, but I think they already know that,

taipan

Referee
As it is a commission and Love is the chairman,he is part of the commission,involving 7 or 8 other high profile people.He would IMO only have the casting vote in a decision that was tied.That is all .I am not a Love fan BTW.
He has the same input as the others which hopefully will be independent business people with some association with the game.eg Bernie Fraser a former Reserve Bank head and on the Raiders board at one stage from memory.Bring on Singo,for example.
I couldn't give a flying if Attila the Hun led the commission,as long as grassroots is protected,the game expands,we get a decent Tv contract,decent facilities are in place ,and we are able to serve it up to the fumbleballers.
Geez we are precious we jump up and down when we want a commission,now there is one looming we don't want him or her to head it up.At this rate we will still be looking for a commission when the Moon is populated.

Latest posts