What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New stadium - 2025

Where have they said if elected they will stick to the stadiums as promised? If they did the GF would be already signed off because there wouldn't be an issue.

Not much you can do at the current site though, You can have a 3rd sided stadium. So that is why they want to wait. Given the Paceway is getting sold regardless

You said Labor are *against* it. That’s not the same thing as refusing to commit to it. It’s not hard to admit you got something wrong, mate. FFS you can be an absolute pain.

You could build an excellent stadium on the current site, nothing says you need a big stand at the southern end. The Townsville stadium is essentially three sided.

The Paceway won't be rezoned for residential which is what they want to increase the price. The rezoning has been rejected several times already.
They are crying they are being hard done by, but the compulsory acquisition is at current market values.

Compulsory acquisitions must legally be negotiated for a minimum of 6 months in NSW, and even then it could go to the land and environment court. If the paceway play hard ball it could drag on for a very long time.

Three sides stadium designs are everywhere

Obviously it would be preferable to build on the paceway site, but if the costs escalate to a level where it‘s not feasible then a 3 sided stadium on the current site is far better than nothing.

36B0CB17-616B-45E1-A002-8584190A0561.jpeg36B0CB17-616B-45E1-A002-8584190A0561.jpegB5138616-EB44-43F8-B125-800FE340B492.jpeg

Iamback

Coach
You said Labor are *against* it. That’s not the same thing as refusing to commit to it. It’s not hard to admit you got something wrong, mate. FFS you can be an absolute pain.

You could build an excellent stadium on the current site, nothing says you need a big stand at the southern end. The Townsville stadium is essentially three sided.

Hasn't labor backed Libs Stadium plan or the scrapping of it more to the point?

Happy to admit I am wrong when I see something to say ALP are going to honor the deal with the NRL.

Public is against it so they will use that to scrap it

Hasn't labor backed Libs Stadium plan or the scrapping of it more to the point?

Happy to admit I am wrong when I see something to say ALP are going to honor the deal with the NRL.

Public is against it so they will use that to scrap it
Public meaning Radio shock jocks? , the same mob that forced Gladys into the SFS fiasco.

Murraymob1

Juniors
I would be happier with a announcement of when building will start .and contracts signed that will at least mean it will go ahead but nothing at this stage

Get left with no stadium and play out of Parramatta?

They won’t leave Penrith without a stadium, once demolition has started it’s locked in.

Once government changes hands, politicians tend to change their tune on a lot of things. It just wouldn’t make any political sense for Labor to cancel a stadium when they’ve won. If the costs blow out they can blame the previous government anyway, but by cancelling it you upset a lot of people in a specific area for very little upside. People outside of Penrith won’t remember a stadium cancellation in 4 years at the next election, but people in Penrith will.

Kilkenny

Coach
They won’t leave Penrith without a stadium, once demolition has started it’s locked in.

Once government changes hands, politicians tend to change their tune on a lot of things. It just wouldn’t make any political sense for Labor to cancel a stadium when they’ve won. If the costs blow out they can blame the previous government anyway, but by cancelling it you upset a lot of people in a specific area for very little upside. People outside of Penrith won’t remember a stadium cancellation in 4 years at the next election, but people in Penrith will.
I just think the City of Penrith, including a much wider demographic, including the central west, are deserving of an infrastructure project which will serve the region for generations to come.

The current stadium simply does‘nt meet the needs for those with a disability or even providing basic adequate needs in terms of toilet facilities. It is an embarrassment the girls have to queue up for 20-30 minutes just to get to a bathroom.

Kilkenny

Coach
I think Harry Triguboff, Meriton has moved on from developments in NSW he is peeved off from fighting Local Councils and Government generally. I think it was the Meriton Group who had an interest in developing the Paceway site but it has been stalled for some years now and given recent publicity he is no longer interested in doing business in this state. He has been very vocal recently in saying the costs to do business in this state are too prohibitive and just not financially viable. if the biggest builder in Meriton can’t get a development accross the line on the Paceway site im not sure any other developer can.

Munky

Coach
I'd be surprised if Meriton made its money from development these days.

My understanding is that they've moved into the services business in that they control all the utilities going in and out of their buildings. They also act as real estate agent for rented apartments. Internet, water, electricity and gas your only option in the building is through one provider.

I'm willing to bet locked monthly income with no risk is a better than outlaying capital on huge projects. Especially in a world moving back to realistic costs of financing.