What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Wa Reds - Logo & Membership

dimitri

First Grade
KalgoorlieRed said:
They may well lose it to the Kangaroos??? :?

good point

the arl need to continue to push the kangaroos brand in the lead up to the world cup

probably also a good idea to push the kiwis, lions, chanticeleers and kumuls brands as well for marketing rivalry!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Last year was the first time I have seen Kangaroo merchandise for sale in an airport. We have a long way to go before even most of Australia know who the Kangaroos are let alone buy their merchandise!

I would much prefer to see a team from PNG before Wellington

I think with the help of the NRL whilst they may not be a powerhouse team in the first few years, they certainly have the juniors that would give them a healthy base to work from in years to come.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Would be good for the game in PNG and great at International level but unfortunatley as the NRL is about making money PNG will never happen.

MAybe more realistic would be a PNG in Q'land cup alongside the Reds when they enter. Stick in a team from NT and teh Q'land cup starts to look very exciting.

j5o6hn

Juniors
If you want a deal like the AFL 760 mil the NRL is going to have to get real and include Perth,and support Melbourne somewhat the same as the AFL has done and are doing with Sydney and Brisbane.
You hae to appeal to National Advertisers as well

Quidgybo

Bench
no guts no glory said:
I would much prefer to see a team from PNG before Wellington

I think with the help of the NRL whilst they may not be a powerhouse team in the first few years, they certainly have the juniors that would give them a healthy base to work from in years to come.
PNG is a third world country for pitys sake. They can have all the talent and passion in the world but while the country remains stricken with poverty and corruption they have a lot more important things to deal with than running a professional sports franchise. And while those circumstances remain, any substantial funds the NRL sinks into such an endeavor would be in severe danger of being embezzled by some poor local desperate to escape to a better life. And that's without even considering that with the vast majority of people in that country earning bugger all and having virtually zero disposable income there's no market to financially support such a club. PNG, nice idea but it's a fantasy - probably for at least the next half century, if not twice that long. Wellington is a market that's ready now.

Leigh.

j5o6hn

Juniors
I see 9 in Perth is remaing true to there usual crap the Friday night games are on at 2 10 am saturday morning,gee thanks NRL and AFL Eddie

Quidgybo

Bench
AFL Eddie doesn't yet own Nein Perth and the NRL hasn't got a contract with the present owners. There is nothing either party can really do until that changes.

Leigh..

dimitri

First Grade
Apparently there is an article on the NEW WA REDS in this months Rugby League Review.

I going to have to go and buy it now!

dimitri

First Grade
joondalup_giant said:
is there anyway i can get that magazine bein in perth?

You can try various newsagencies

Otherwise just get a subscription

rugbyleaguereview.com

gallagher

Juniors
j5o6hn said:
I see 9 in Perth is remaing true to there usual crap the Friday night games are on at 2 10 am saturday morning,gee thanks NRL and AFL Eddie

They're showing the Tits and Dragons today at 2pm.

BrisVegas

Juniors
http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,21598,21398834-2761,00.html
60,000 seat arena for Subiaco

EXCLUSIVE: Joe Spagnolo
March 17, 2007 02:00pm

A 60,000-seat outdoor sport stadium is likely to be built in Subiaco in five years.

But rugby and soccer fans may have to wait a decade for a new rectangular stadium, probably at the Members Equity Stadium site.

Kitchener Park, next to Subiaco Oval, has emerged as the frontrunner for a new multipurpose venue after stadium taskforce head John Langoulant all but ruled out the East Perth power station site because it was too small and questioned Burswood Peninsula's ability to handle traffic.

He disputed claims by the WA Football Commission that it would be cheaper and quicker to have a staged rebuilding of Subiaco Oval.

As revealed in The Sunday Times last week, the stadium taskforce was rethinking plans to build a 60,000-seat stadium and examining if a 70,000-seat stadium was better.

Mr Langoulant revealed that the taskforce would recommend that the State Government stick to a 60,000-seat stadium, with capacity to be extended by 10,000 seats in future.

"We have come to the view that if we were to build a stadium in the next five years, 60,000 seats would be enough,'' Mr Langoulant said.

"We will probably recommend building a stadium with a capacity to go to 70,000 and then the question will be how quickly to do that.

"The East Perth site is the one that's constrained.

"At Subiaco, you can build as big as you like.

"It's a load of rubbish to suggest building a new stadium will take 10 years.

"Building a new stadium will take five years and rebuilding Subiaco will take four.

"They (the WAFC) say you can knock down and rebuild Subiaco for $400 million, but that cost is grossly understated.

"The cost would be closer to $600 million.

"The cost (of redeveloping Subiaco) and the time frame as compared to building a new stadium are almost identical.''

Mr Langoulant said the preferred option was for the multi-purpose stadium to be built first, followed by a 35,000-seat, $250 million rectangular stadium for rugby and soccer.

The new outdoor stadium would accommodate rugby and soccer fans "very well'' until a new rectangular stadium was built.

The preferred site for the rectangular stadium was Members Equity Stadium, he said.

"We'd be suggesting that a full rectangular stadium was best to come second, after the multi-purpose stadium was built,'' Mr Langoulant said.

"We think Members Equity Stadium probably has got the frontrunning at the moment.''

Mr Langoulant will present the final report to the State Government next month.
Will the NRL approve a WA Reds NRL bid if they don't have an viable rectangular field to play from? The Gold Coast Titans bid wasn't accepted until the QLD government committed funds to build Robina "Skilled Park" Stadium. Is MES of a standard that could see the Reds play out of it for a few years before any potential redevelopment?

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
BrisVegas said:
http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,21598,21398834-2761,00.html
Will the NRL approve a WA Reds NRL bid if they don't have an viable rectangular field to play from? The Gold Coast Titans bid wasn't accepted until the QLD government committed funds to build Robina "Skilled Park" Stadium. Is MES of a standard that could see the Reds play out of it for a few years before any potential redevelopment?

The WA government is bloody geniused. They've got all this growth happening in Perth and there's heaps of money in the state because of the mining boom yet here they are skimping on something massive like this. I mean, they even had a perfect location donated to them and they decide not to use it... :crazy:

Perth Red

Post Whore
To be fair members Equity as it is will be just fine for the Reds to start with ( I would say it is on par with Shark Park etc.). We are not expecting to get in for 5 years so by then the AFL stadium will be well on its way and i would expect MES to be also starting. Difficulty could be where would they play if they are pulling down MES to rebuild it?

Don't worry about the delay, The Force have the political pull to get it prioritised and the Glory have the passionate fans who will demand it.

Big mistake building 60,000 at Subi when they could have put two great stadiums and an entertainment precint at Burswood but that's politics for you!