What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Wa Reds - Logo & Membership

Perth Red

Post Whore
aarondoyle said:
Not a lot of non-WA people jumping at the offer :)

Doesn't look like it:(

Come on RL fans, its a small investment to see our game National and taking over from the AFL as No1 in this country!

phonetic

Juniors
I'm going to sign up. I've just got to shake a few things off my credit card bill first.

LESStar58

Referee
kooriguy said:
do you guys actually believe this is a reality.. personally i would like to see central coast and wellington in before reds.

Perth and Central Coast for mine!

KalgoorlieRed said:
You guys joining the new WA foundation membership?

Quiet afternoon at work - so I'll be doing it in about 10 minutes. :D

In terms of expansion - the plan is for the Perth side to enter the NRL in 2012 or thereabouts (having cut their teeth in JBC and QC) - closer to that time it may appear to be undesirable for that to happen but it's no pie in the sky, it's a real plan. They're not entering a team in the JBC so they can play semi-professional football in Perth forever.

Also, there is no reason why this need be the only expansion at that time - they could bring the Central Coast into the fold at the same time (the Bears consortium or a relocation).

Can anyone explain to me why Wellington's a good idea? Is it just because it's the second biggest city in NZ?

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
cumberlandsashes81 said:
Quiet afternoon at work - so I'll be doing it in about 10 minutes. :D

In terms of expansion - the plan is for the Perth side to enter the NRL in 2012 or thereabouts (having cut their teeth in JBC and QC) - closer to that time it may appear to be undesirable for that to happen but it's no pie in the sky, it's a real plan. They're not entering a team in the JBC so they can play semi-professional football in Perth forever.

Also, there is no reason why this need be the only expansion at that time - they could bring the Central Coast into the fold at the same time (the Bears consortium or a relocation).

Can anyone explain to me why Wellington's a good idea? Is it just because it's the second biggest city in NZ?

Time for the CC Bears and a WA team. The continued ignoring of the Bears is a disgusting way to treat a club in its 99th year. don't understand why, with Singleton and Gosford stadium and a big crowrds/juniors, the NRL have actually fought against them, so hard.

Quidgybo

Bench
Rockin Ronny said:
Time for the CC Bears and a WA team. The continued ignoring of the Bears is a disgusting way to treat a club in its 99th year. don't understand why, with Singleton and Gosford stadium and a big crowrds/juniors, the NRL have actually fought against them, so hard.
I do. The game already has 10 licenses allocated between Newcastle and Wollongong (just 160km). If it can't cover that area with 10 licenses then there's something pretty wrong which adding an 11th won't solve. Allocating another license there isn't expansion, it's Spak Filler and a coat of paint to cover the refusal of the game's administrators in NSW to properly use what they've already got. Meanwhile, other regions will continue to miss out completely while there's still only 6 licenses allocated to the remaining thousands of kilometres that make up the length and breadth of Australia and New Zealand.

Leigh.

kooriguy

Juniors
wellington is a good idea because they have a large talented junior base and many league juniors get poached by yawnion, there have been quite a first graders come out of the area.

Perth Red

Post Whore
My only concern with Wellington is the history of the Warriors doesn't paint a great picture for league in NZ. Then again I suppose the Gold Coast don't exactly come across as a shiny example of sports club success and they have gone there again.

To some extent (alot in fact) priority has to be where the NRL will make the more money from, both in terms of future TV contracts and sponsors from being seen as a vibrant growing National sport.

greenhat

Juniors
Perth and Wellington will be effected by how well Union goes in Australia, I reckon.
For example:

- If a few of the big name union players who have talked about going to League (Lote, Nonu, Beale etc.) actually do it, despite a presumably hefty pay cut, the NRL will be able to paint itself as a higher grade of competition pretty effectively. That would give the Reds a solid platform to build on in WA.

- If the Wallabies lose all their prestige to the socceroos, that will really diminish union as an expression of NZ/Australia rivalry. Will NZers really get excited about the Bledisloe cup if most Australians dont?

- If the Kiwis can continue to be seriously competitive with the Kangaroos for a long time, that will raise the profile of League in NZ - especially if the Wallabies aren't giving the All Blacks any competition.

Not saying any of these will happen, things are unlikely to work out that well for the the NRL. They're just some examples of how Perth and Wellington's causes might be effected by outside forces.

KalgoorlieRed

Juniors
greenhat said:
- If the Wallabies lose all their prestige to the socceroos, that will really diminish union as an expression of NZ/Australia rivalry.

They may well lose it to the Kangaroos??? :?