What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Zealand 2 will deal a massive blow to NZ rugby

Gobsmacked

Bench
I'm waiting to hear from you that RL is number 1 in Nz and Pacific... go on you know you want to hahaha
Hahaha never said close to that.
There's 5 Super Rugby sides in NZ to 1 in League.. during covid 5 to 0 yet Super Rugby crowds are down ratings are down, anyone can see that interest is down, they even say so themselves!
Meanwhile League is having records shattered, new teams, close contest.
Anyone half sober at Super Rugby hq is on antidepressants right now.

Gobsmacked

Bench
Well you mention every other sport on each post you do on here so surely you know.. You honestly think RL is booming everywhere don't you?
Did you see that attempt of a World Cup last year? The one where there was zero sellouts and zero travelling fans to watch players from the heartlands of 3 countries play for countries they can't locate on a map?
Touchy aren't you. Are we hitting a nerve?

Brian potter

Bench
I remember about 15 years ago on a snowboarding trip to Queenstown we all decided to go to the pub to watch the All blacks ( because when in Rome..) I clearly remember trying to get into the game. Then they'd boot the ball out.. a massive wait for them to form a line out.. start talking amongst ourselves.. then penalty... another wait .. then another boot out or something.. ad break while the set that went for an eternity! I legitimately forgot what I was watching, we'd moved on to talking amongst ourselves ( not about the 20 minutes of nothing!) Then it came back on and something else caused a stoppage and I was just standing there dumbfounded as to why the f**k people watched that rubbish. I couldn't work it out 🤷‍♂️ that was the last game I watched.
It sucks.
It really sucks! And slowly people are realising..why the hell am I watching this? The same decline that is happening for the Melbourne cup..everyone watches it... because everyone watches it.. but eventually people start to wonder why?
The last time I watched any RU of any description was around 25 years ago when RU went professional and a host of super league players from Wigan and Bradford signed short-term contracts with bath and harleqins and the matches were absolutely desperate.

before that I could only watch the odd Welsh and French national teams in the 5nations.

having said all that I still prefer the old style RL games of the mid 80’s to early 90’s compared to todays game.

Brian potter

Bench
I'll type it again, and slower this time so you might finally understand. They... are.. trying.. to... get... rid.. of... time.. wasting. As usual, what you posted doesn't resemble the truth.
jeez mate you’re very touchy on the subject of boring and stifling set-piece plays like scrums, ruck&mauls and line outs etc.

maybe if you limited the number of these set-piece plays per game it would speed it up even more?
And since you aren't smart enough to actually find the real figure, you will continue to guess, and guess wrong.
seriously mate I’ve looked everywhere for them and can’t find them?

I’ve looked on the super rugby website, Wikipedia, Google and a site called Austadiums and still no joy. It’s like it’s some sort of big secret 🤫

Ive come to the conclusion that there’s only 2 reasons why you refuse to share the wellington v nsw attendance and that’s because either you’re a liar and the out of town warriors fixture drew more or that the super rugby crowd was only a few hundred more than the out of town warriors fixture and you’re very deeply embarrassed by this.

Te Kaha

First Grade
jeez mate you’re very touchy on the subject of boring and stifling set-piece plays like scrums, ruck&mauls and line outs etc.

maybe if you limited the number of these set-piece plays per game it would speed it up even more?

Not "touchy" about it at all, i am merely pointing out that i answered your question 3 times and you aren't smart enough to comprehend it.
They aren't trailing any rules that adjust the set pieces to limit them. They are trialing rules to cut out the time wasting between them. Now that's four times I have told you, I hope you are smart enough to understand this time, although I'm not holding my breath.

seriously mate I’ve looked everywhere for them and can’t find them?

I’ve looked on the super rugby website, Wikipedia, Google and a site called Austadiums and still no joy. It’s like it’s some sort of big secret 🤫

Here is a hint about using "Austadiums" the stadium is not in Aussie. And clearly you aren't good at using google then. I have told you exactly where to find the answer, it's up to you if you want to do it.

Ive come to the conclusion that there’s only 2 reasons why you refuse to share the wellington v nsw attendance and that’s because either you’re a liar and the out of town warriors fixture drew more or that the super rugby crowd was only a few hundred more than the out of town warriors fixture and you’re very deeply embarrassed by this.

You could use Occam's razor here and realise there is a much simpler reason why. It's annoying you.
I've told you were to find the answer. If you really want to know, then look. You made the erroneous claim, it's up to you to back it up.

Brian potter

Bench
Not "touchy" about it at all, i am merely pointing out that i answered your question 3 times and you aren't smart enough to comprehend it.
They aren't trailing any rules that adjust the set pieces to limit them. They are trialing rules to cut out the time wasting between them. Now that's four times I have told you, I hope you are smart enough to understand this time, although I'm not holding my breath.
no mate the limiting of these boring and attacking play killing structured set piece plays was my suggestion.
Here is a hint about using "Austadiums" the stadium is not in Aussie. And clearly you aren't good at using google then. I have told you exactly where to find the answer, it's up to you if you want to do it.
Austadiums has a New Zealand section mate and funnily enough it gives the out of town warriors fixture attendance but not the super rugby one 🤔
You could use Occam's razor here and realise there is a much simpler reason why. It's annoying you.
I've told you were to find the answer. If you really want to know, then look. You made the erroneous claim, it's up to you to back it up.
You seriously expect me to somehow find footage of the game that shows the scoreboard at the end of the game with the official crowd figure or listen out for the ground announcer giving out the attendance number?

again it’s pretty obvious why you gave me the attendance of the blues v crusaders game unprompted but pointblank refuse time after time to reveal the wellington v nsw attendance figure.

Iamback

Coach
As I expected, you're pro PI's not pro NZ, as they benefit the PIs and not NZ.

PI's don't pay their players, The alternative is they stay with Australia for the money.

Or they have the best of both worlds, As for mid year tests. ARLC controlled them and the money. Samoa v Tonga in Campbelltown doesn't help them.

They need to be organising their own games, getting their own revenue in. End of year tests does that

Te Kaha

First Grade
no mate the limiting of these boring and attacking play killing structured set piece plays was my suggestion.

And since you haven't watched again in 25 years and obviously have no idea what you are talking about then your suggestion means squat.

Austadiums has a New Zealand section mate and funnily enough it gives the out of town warriors fixture attendance but not the super rugby one 🤔

Because the NRL is Aussie based so Austadiums include it. Super Rugby has never been, which is why they have never had them in there. It's really not hard to understand.

You seriously expect me to somehow find footage of the game that shows the scoreboard at the end of the game with the official crowd figure or listen out for the ground announcer giving out the attendance number?

again it’s pretty obvious why you gave me the attendance of the blues v crusaders game unprompted but pointblank refuse time after time to reveal the wellington v nsw attendance figure.

I don't expect you to do anything, it's clear you're not smart enough to do your own research.

And yes I gave you a figure from a previous days game, I don't have to do anything else. It's clear it's annoying you so why would I stop? We both know your initial claim was rubbish so that's all that I need to say.

Matua

Bench
I'd love to see these figures you're so confident about.
This is all the information I have and I have.... a link 👌
Looking forward to your link 👍

The discussion isn't about whether Super rugby figures are down, it's Super rugby v the Warriors/NRL in NZ.

Wb's claim about Warriors viewership matching the ABs is just not true.

Matua

Bench
Hilarious, where's his link to back up his claim of this Warriors viewership regularly matching the ABs?

Anyway, here's some links over the years discussing viewership figures from when the Warriors were more popular than they are now:

2002 when they almost got AB like ratings.

2008 when they were at one of their popularity peaks - the article states NZ is gripped by Warriors fever, yet they don't rate close to Super rugby even during finals time.

Here's one that compares the viewership of various sports in general from 2018. The NRL's viewership is less than the 3rd tier NPC.

This discusses a Black Ferns (women's rugby match) viewership far outstripping the Warriors in 2018.

Sky don't seem to post figures from recent years though.

Gobsmacked

Bench
Hilarious, where's his link to back up his claim of this Warriors viewership regularly matching the ABs?

Anyway, here's some links over the years discussing viewership figures from when the Warriors were more popular than they are now:

2002 when they almost got AB like ratings.

2008 when they were at one of their popularity peaks - the article states NZ is gripped by Warriors fever, yet they don't rate close to Super rugby even during finals time.

Here's one that compares the viewership of various sports in general from 2018. The NRL's viewership is less than the 3rd tier NPC.

This discusses a Black Ferns (women's rugby match) viewership far outstripping the Warriors in 2018.

Sky don't seem to post figures from recent years though.
So no link 🤷‍♂️

So let's look at what we do know.
Super rugby ratings were falling well before covid and the withdrawal of SA
Before the All blacks started underperformed.
They're getting bad crowds and interest is falling fast.
Rugby league ( the numbers we have) are going through the roof! Both crowds and TV ..

The picture is pretty obvious .

20 year old links are a safe place for Union fans, 2023 not so much.

Te Kaha

First Grade
So no link 🤷‍♂️

Rugby league ( the numbers we have) are going through the roof! Both crowds and TV ..

Except none of the "numbers" you quote are from NZ. You are failing in this and you have been from the beginning. There wont be an NZ2 team anytime soon. After last weeks announcement about "20 teams" not a single person came out with ANY bid information. Not even the con man Chalmers.

Wb1234

Referee
The discussion isn't about whether Super rugby figures are down, it's Super rugby v the Warriors/NRL in NZ.

Wb's claim about Warriors viewership matching the ABs is just not true.
And your failure to answer my question as to the actual ratings for super rugby is a huge red flag

there are a load of links which talk about the warriors tv ratings

Wb1234

Referee
So no link 🤷‍♂️

Rugby union crowds and tv ratings in nz are an Enigma wrapped inside of a mystery

Wb1234

Referee

This shows that super rugby tv ratings in nz have fallen by almost 50 percent

the warriors get higher ratings than this

Perth Red

Post Whore

This shows that super rugby tv ratings in nz have fallen by almost 50 percent

the warriors get higher ratings than this
How do you know?