What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Zealand 2 will deal a massive blow to NZ rugby

Te Kaha

First Grade
Great, so essentially all you care about is domestic leagues ( like yours!)and those players staying there and not going and chasing a dream of playing professionally.

Extremely selfish old man.
You are a young man's worst nightmare.
How many have you held back you selfish old prick?!

Myopic is all you are. All you care about is your imaginary war.

What you seem to be way to dense to understand is that without the regions the game here effectively dies. It will exist for a short time in two cities and that's it. You don't care about the kids who may see the game on TV and are then unable to play it because they aren't located in either city.

How will they be able to "chase their dreams" if they have no team to play for? The five to 16 year olds who aren't in either city will have no local team to play with because of your imaginary war.

It's a good thing you never denied you don't care about League in NZ, because its self evident you really don't.

Gobsmacked

Bench
Myopic is all you are. All you care about is your imaginary war.

What you seem to be way to dense to understand is that without the regions the game here effectively dies. It will exist for a short time in two cities and that's it. You don't care about the kids who may see the game on TV and are then unable to play it because they aren't located in either city.

How will they be able to "chase their dreams" if they have no team to play for? The five to 16 year olds who aren't in either city will have no local team to play with because of your imaginary war.

It's a good thing you never denied you don't care about League in NZ, because its self evident you really don't.
🥜

Perth Red

Post Whore
There’s a lot of anger in here over something highly unlikley to happen lol

ideally we’d see some serious investment in a nz high school program followed by serious investment in a nz championship comp along with a second nsw cup side based wherever long term plans are for nz2, I’d link it with fiji silver tails as a feeder club tot he nsw cup side as well.
Then in a few years we’d see nz2 come in backed by a vibrant national jnr and second tier system.

but that would require the arlc investing $20mill ish a year now then the cost of the nrl club down the track. We can but dream!

Te Kaha

First Grade
There’s a lot of anger in here over something highly unlikley to happen lol

ideally we’d see some serious investment in a nz high school program followed by serious investment in a nz championship comp along with a second nsw cup side based wherever long term plans are for nz2, I’d link it with fiji silver tails as a feeder club tot he nsw cup side as well.
Then in a few years we’d see nz2 come in backed by a vibrant national jnr and second tier system.

but that would require the arlc investing $20mill ish a year now then the cost of the nrl club down the track. We can but dream!

There isn't high school program... very few High Schools offer League. It's always been the clubs who develop the juniors. That's where the money needs to go. To the regions and down to the clubs. That's why it's only the idiots who want the clubs to die.

And yes I agree, It's a moot point... NZ2 is dead.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
No to any new team no matter where they are unless the ARLC makes a guarantee of 10 million over 5 years at least on dv and grass roots. Shit, 10 mill out of the NRL grant would go a long way towards the future of RL in NZ over 5 years. But aye, I know kark fall. Imagine putting 1 mill into the Euro Super League each year for teams in Serbia and co, naaa too hard.

I want RL to grow, but please, make sure it is wanted and paid for plus a strong undergrowth, is that too much to ask for?

Matua

Bench
This might give some context to the relative strengths of the two sports in NZ and whether "NZ2 will deal a massive blow to NZ rugby":

The Bounce has been reliably informed that when it comes to New Zealand television ratings, Super Rugby still trumps the Warriors and the NRL by a good margin. In fact, the Warriors brilliant win against Canberra was the fifth-highest rating of the weekend footy, behind the four Super Rugby playoffs. The biggest television audience was the Blues Friday-nighter against the Waratahs.

The article is very pro the Warriors in the section where he discusses that so it's not a case of anti league writing.

Gobsmacked

Bench
This might give some context to the relative strengths of the two sports in NZ and whether "NZ2 will deal a massive blow to NZ rugby":

The article is very pro the Warriors in the section where he discusses that so it's not a case of anti league writing.
I love how they timed the ratings for Finals vs mid season regular fixtures against Canberra... 🙄
Every other round... tba...

Te Kaha

First Grade
I love how they timed the ratings for Finals vs mid season regular fixtures against Canberra... 🙄
Every other round... tba...

Or... it could be .. you know.. that those were the games played on the weekend....

I know you are desperate for Super Rugby to be dying... but sadly for you .. it's not.

Gobsmacked

Bench
Or... it could be .. you know.. that those were the games played on the weekend....

I know you are desperate for Super Rugby to be dying... but sadly for you .. it's not.
The nz teams are doing ok, they're definitely in decline but I'd assume that the top 1,2,3 and 5th teams playing in elimination finals tops a 7th placed Warriors in a mid season regular fixture..
The part I don't think you get is the lack of quality opposition will kill it. A small season playing crap Aussie and island teams, people are losing interest.

Te Kaha

First Grade
The nz teams are doing ok, they're definitely in decline but I'd assume that the top 1,2,3 and 5th teams playing in elimination finals tops a 7th placed Warriors in a mid season regular fixture..
The part I don't think you get is the lack of quality opposition will kill it. A small season playing crap Aussie and island teams, people are losing interest.

Except that's not remotely true, no matter how much you want to believe it. People here are just not losing interest.

From this past week, even before that last article, from yet another source. What's that now half a dozen articles ALL saying the same thing.
"Broadcast audiences for the big games in New Zealand have bounced back this year close to the historic highs of Super Rugby’s heydays of the mid-2000s"

Like the initial premise of your thread... you are still just plain wrong.

Gobsmacked

Bench
Except that's not remotely true, no matter how much you want to believe it. People here are just not losing interest.

From this past week, even before that last article, from yet another source. What's that now half a dozen articles ALL saying the same thing.
"Broadcast audiences for the big games in New Zealand have bounced back this year close to the historic highs of Super Rugby’s heydays of the mid-2000s"

Like the initial premise of your thread... you are still just plain wrong.
Opinion: ... from a Rugby columnist..🙄

Te Kaha

First Grade
Opinion: ... from a Rugby columnist..🙄

Which is why i quoted the salient point.... about TV numbers. Super Rugby in NZ is far from dying, despite your desperate belief it is.
Add the fact that it's now half a dozen different articles from four different sources all saying the same thing...

bazza

Immortal

slightly unfair comparison given that the 4 union games were finals involving NZ teams while the Warriors were playing a mid-season game - but totally expected

Matua

Bench
slightly unfair comparison given that the 4 union games were finals involving NZ teams while the Warriors were playing a mid-season game - but totally expected
Not really, especially not in the context of this thread and the fanciful claims made about the state of league v rugby viewership.

Gobsmacked

Bench
Not really, especially not in the context of this thread and the fanciful claims made about the state of league v rugby viewership.
Not really? Lol
If the Warriors make the finals and don't beat the ratings of this week's Super Rugby finals- all of them.
I'll put my hand up for the All blecks .

Te Kaha

First Grade
Not really? Lol
If the Warriors make the finals and don't beat the ratings of this week's Super Rugby finals- all of them.
I'll put my hand up for the All blecks .

You keep claiming Super Rugby is dying in NZ... Clearly that is not the case but your ego wont let you admit it.

Latest posts