What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Zealand 2 will deal a massive blow to NZ rugby

Perth Red

Post Whore
The rules as they are re playing RL at jnrs and living in the state from U13 are fine, the international bit is just BS and irrelevant. Time it changed. Only concern I have is will players jump ship from PI nations to NZ if it changes?

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I think the arlc are idiots for doing this

real super league tri series vibes

origin will be diluted
How? It won’t change the makeup of origin sides significantly other than mean occasional players like Radley or Kiwis who moved here as youngsters become eligible- and they’ll still have to meet the key origin eligibility criteria of having to have lived in the state since 13 or be eligible through their father.

Wb1234

Referee
How? It won’t change the makeup of origin sides significantly other than mean occasional players like Radley or Kiwis who moved here as youngsters become eligible- and they’ll still have to meet the key origin eligibility criteria of having to have lived in the state since 13 or be eligible through their father.
It’s not an all stars games

devalues nz too

nz players have chosen nz over aus and the pacific islands

they just belted australia too

jim_57

Staff member

The only current Kiwi that would become eligible for Origin would be Nikora, maybe Foran? All the other recent Origin eligible NZ born or NZ parent players have opted for Origin. Former Kiwis Taumalolo & Fonua-Blake plus Radley would be the only others. So 4 players, 2 of which were born in Australia and the other 2 moved to QLD/NSW before 13.

The biggest change would be more players becoming eligible (again) for NZ even if they play Origin. Players like Ponga, Nanai & Taulagi are locked in to Australia as their tier 1 but in the future players like them wouldn’t have to choose one or the other. Players like Fotuaika, Su’a, Utoikamanu or Walsh haven’t played for Australia so if the rules changed they could still opt for NZ if they wish to.

Edit: Looked in to it a bit more, Marshall-King, Sorenson & Kris would become available for Origin as well.

Last edited:

Gobsmacked

Bench
The only current Kiwi that would become eligible for Origin would be Nikora, maybe Foran? All the other recent Origin eligible NZ born or NZ parent players have opted for Origin. Former Kiwis Taumalolo & Fonua-Blake plus Radley would be the only others. So 4 players, 2 of which were born in Australia and the other 2 moved to QLD/NSW before 13.

The biggest change would be more players becoming eligible (again) for NZ even if they play Origin. Players like Ponga, Nanai & Taulagi are locked in to Australia as their tier 1 but in the future players like them wouldn’t have to choose one or the other. Players like Fotuaika, Su’a, Utoikamanu or Walsh haven’t played for Australia so if the rules changed they could still opt for NZ if they wish to.
I think this kinda strengthens both Origin and internationals.

Gobsmacked

Bench
Unsure why the dragons are keen, he’s a bit of a journeyman that never quite made it in Union
I guess the idea is that he'll be better suited to League. Scouts are looking for body types a lot more these day, if you possess what they are looking for in certain positions they'll take a punt with the training. Melbourne Storm kinda started this trend a decade or 2 ago.. their spine are footballers, the rest are athletes who are taught football.

Wb1234

Referee
I guess the idea is that he'll be better suited to League. Scouts are looking for body types a lot more these day, if you possess what they are looking for in certain positions they'll take a punt with the training. Melbourne Storm kinda started this trend a decade or 2 ago.. their spine are footballers, the rest are athletes who are taught football.
It’s good to see league clubs taking a risk

this will only encourage more union players to cross over

Perth Red

Post Whore
As a Kiwi I'm all for anything that means more players being potentially available for the Kiwis. But I enjoy Origin too and alot of that is because of the parochialism. Is there a risk that will be diluted? If not immediately, then over time?
Probably not, at International level Tongans and Samoans dont seem to mind that the teams they are cheering on are full of players who werent born there. Dont see why it would be different for origin fans.

Gobsmacked

Bench
As a Kiwi I'm all for anything that means more players being potentially available for the Kiwis. But I enjoy Origin too and alot of that is because of the parochialism. Is there a risk that will be diluted? If not immediately, then over time?
As a Queenslander it doesn't for me at all. Currently travelling NZ and I'm surprised how many Kiwis are parochial about it!
The more I think about it, the more I like it.
All the same things are in place that were already there anyway, just across the board.
You can be passionate about QLD RL and it people and passionate about NZ at the same time.
NSW f**ked up by picking players who weren't passionate about NSW.

Ask yourself: would Billy slater pick Jerome Lui ? Hell no .
Even Queensland snubbed Cherry Evans after he backed out of a handshake with the Titans...

Queensland are actually in trouble against Madge! ..
He picked the exact same Kiwi team that were beaten by Australia the previous week... then won 30 - 0
He picks on character and he stands by his players!

This is going to be a decade long battle between Billy an Madge!

Wb1234

Referee
As a Queenslander it doesn't for me at all. Currently travelling NZ and I'm surprised how many Kiwis are parochial about it!
The more I think about it, the more I like it.
All the same things are in place that were already there anyway, just across the board.
You can be passionate about QLD RL and it people and passionate about NZ at the same time.
NSW f**ked up by picking players who weren't passionate about NSW.

Ask yourself: would Billy slater pick Jerome Lui ? Hell no .
Even Queensland snubbed Cherry Evans after he backed out of a handshake with the Titans...

Queensland are actually in trouble against Madge! ..
He picked the exact same Kiwi team that were beaten by Australia the previous week... then won 30 - 0
He picks on character and he stands by his players!

This is going to be a decade long battle between Billy an Madge!
Slater should be the next storm coach

he might be even better than bellyache