What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Zealand 2 will deal a massive blow to NZ rugby

Dark Corner

Juniors
If a US league based on RL rules with competitive scrums provided a salary cap of $25M then the best players from the NRL, ESL, Super Rugby, French 14 and RFU would flock to it.
I often wonder CFL is wasted with its currant set up and always thought they be better off playing one of the Rugby codes or best still a merged Rugby game but then again I'm like a mad scientist.

final say

Juniors
Our game refuses to eliminate scrums from restarts. If it's going to keep them in play then it should make them competitive. If not then get rid of scrums altogether. The only thing dumber than a competitive scrum is an uncompetitive one.
As they are now is great for an attacking set play. It's not about the scrum .

Wb1234

Referee
My hope is that Rugby Union just becomes very near to Rugby League that money will dictate the codes becomeing one and if that happens how big would the NRL be incorporating/merging the Super Union teams.
Agree

nrl will get so big and be such a threat to global union they will one day remerge but under league rules

read somewhere when union went pro the rfu approached the rfl about a merger but Lindsay said no

Last edited:

Canard

Immortal
Agree

nrl will get so big and big such a threat to global union they will one day reemerge but under league rules

read somewhere when union went pro the rfu approached the rfl about a merger but Lindsay said no
I love that all you Union fan boys dream about Union joining with League.

You can take the boy out of the private school.

final say

Juniors
It's f**king LOL city that people think RL becoming big in Fiji or Noumea will launch it into an International juggernaut.
Another example of poor comprehension.
Words have meaning, you need to read all of them, be sure you understood them... then reply.

Vlad59

Juniors
Another example of poor comprehension.
Words have meaning, you need to read all of them, be sure you understood them... then reply.
It’s not poor comprehension. The fact you write a load of rubbish and get called on it under your new alt is your problem.

Matua

Bench
I hope you're right.
He's not. He actually picked a really odd time to double down on his predictions.

The Super rugby final at Eden Park is a sell out, the train workers union have paused a month long industrial action for the day so as not to impact the fans negatively, Sky have publicised viewership growth in the comp, and there's renewed interest in the ABs due to a new fan favourite coach (after a more polarising one previously).

It's actually a good time for both codes in NZ as the Warriors haven't been losing too many supporters when their fortunes have dipped this season.

final say

Juniors
He's not. He actually picked a really odd time to double down on his predictions.

The Super rugby final at Eden Park is a sell out, the train workers union have paused a month long industrial action for the day so as not to impact the fans negatively, Sky have publicised viewership growth in the comp, and there's renewed interest in the ABs due to a new fan favourite coach (after a more polarising one previously).

It's actually a good time for both codes in NZ as the Warriors haven't been losing too many supporters when their fortunes have dipped this season.
Why wouldn't it sellout? It's basically local derby and a final! In NZ biggest city. But what strikes me is that you couldn't have 2 team further from the South Island in NZ... exactly where the heartland on NZ rugby is. And exactly where the NRL are putting their next team
If the Warriors were in a grand final held at Eden Park, it would sell out if there were 500,000 seats.

And the final reminds me of the fact that due to the reduced finals format from losing a club, Super Rugby won't only have 1 less game next season but 1 less finals fixture.
The Titans are signing Wallabies now and in the near future the South Island franchise will be signing All blacks.

Super rugby has lost an entire club.
Let that sink in.

Canard

Immortal
Why wouldn't it sellout? It's basically local derby and a final! In NZ biggest city. But what strikes me is that you couldn't have 2 team further from the South Island in NZ... exactly where the heartland on NZ rugby is. And exactly where the NRL are putting their next team
If the Warriors were in a grand final held at Eden Park, it would sell out if there were 500,000 seats.

And the final reminds me of the fact that due to the reduced finals format from losing a club, Super Rugby won't only have 1 less game next season but 1 less finals fixture.
The Titans are signing Wallabies now and in the near future the South Island franchise will be signing All blacks.

Let that sink in.
Melbourne have been the most successful club of the last 20 years.

Doesn't make it "heartland" League country though.

You are conflating on field success of franchises with the popularity of a sport.

Matua

Bench

Let that sink in.
No it's not. There is an historically extremely good professional team based in the South Island, that doesn't make it the Heartland. In fact the other team in the South Island is our worst one.

Also, to be a pedant, you could have the Western Force and the Queensland Reds in the final, they're much further from the South Island. ;)

final say

Juniors
Melbourne have been the most successful club of the last 20 years.

Doesn't make it "heartland" League country though.

You are conflating on field success of franchises with the popularity of a sport.
You're conflating 2 different arguments into one and it isn't even apparent what that is?
I'm assuming you're day drinking?

Matua

Bench
You're conflating 2 different arguments into one and it isn't even apparent what that is?
I'm assuming you're day drinking?
Regardless of how you move the goalposts, your assertion that the South Island is the heartland of rugby is incorrect, this is yet another occasion you've proved you know little about NZ despite your pretend living there and spouting off in this thread.

final say

Juniors
No it's not. There is an historically extremely good professional team based in the South Island, that doesn't make it the Heartland. In fact the other team in the South Island is our worst one.

Also, to be a pedant, you could have the Western Force and the Queensland Reds in the final, they're much further from the South Island. ;)
Western Force and Queensland in a final...BAHAHAHAHA
That's right, not only is Super rugby down to 11 but the actual number of viable competitive teams is around 7.
Western Force will probably be cut next. So commercially viable clubs in Super Rugby that attract large viewership are probably all the NZ clubs 5 reds and Waratahs makes 7.
The NRL currently has 17 and will go to 20, 20 clubs with 12 million to spend on players..240 million.

The South Island isn't Union heartland? That's the dumbest things you've ever said

Wb1234

Referee
That's right, not only is Super rugby down to 11 but the actual number of viable competitive teams is around 7.
Western Force will probably be cut next. So commercially viable clubs in Super Rugby that attract large viewership are probably all the NZ clubs 5 reds and Waratahs makes 7.
The NRL currently has 17 and will go to 20, 20 clubs with 12 million to spend on players..240 million.

The South Island isn't Union heartland? That's the dumbest things you've ever said
Wow he’s getting triggered again isn’t he ?

Matua

Bench
Of course those teams will never make a final, just giving you the facts that a final could be further way. The rest of your jibber jabber here has nothing to do with that one specific comment (that I pointed out was just pedantry anyway).

Oh I see you're trying to wiggle your way out of this one - you said "the heartland" not "a heartland". Yeah the South Island is a heartland, like all of NZ is, it's not "the heartland", and especially not over the North Island.

Latest posts