What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Zealand 2 will deal a massive blow to NZ rugby

Matiunz

Juniors
but people wear Lakers jerseys in Paris because they're a brand that anyone can jump on board.. and the All blacks will never come close! You can see the Bunnies jumpers worn by Americans in Vegas..
The NRL will always be bigger than internationals... but that's a good thing!
The All Blacks are the closest thing either codes has to having an international brand. One of the big tourist souvenirs is an ABs jersey, it’s why you’ll see an ABs shop at every NZ international airport. Sure it’s no where near the level of some of the big club names but it’s got recognition
I’ve worn both ABs and Warriors gear across Asia/US/Europe I’d get questions/comments wearing the ABs gear - it had international recognition, but not the Warriors gear.
ABs gear does tend to become the default generic NZ supporter gear for other sports too.
Random Bunnies guy is funny to leagues but I’d wager most that don’t follow the sport would know what jersey that was and it’d be an Aussie rather than a neutral.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The All Blacks are the closest thing either codes has to having an international brand. One of the big tourist souvenirs is an ABs jersey, it’s why you’ll see an ABs shop at every NZ international airport. Sure it’s no where near the level of some of the big club names but it’s got recognition
I’ve worn both ABs and Warriors gear across Asia/US/Europe I’d get questions/comments wearing the ABs gear - it had international recognition, but not the Warriors gear.
ABs gear does tend to become the default generic NZ supporter gear for other sports too.
Random Bunnies guy is funny to leagues but I’d wager most that don’t follow the sport would know what jersey that was and it’d be an Aussie rather than a neutral.
NRL clubs are not global brands. not even close to it. AB's are, at least in a number of countries. They are also a NZ iconic brand meaning tourists will buy the AB gear as a memento of visiting NZ. That is the big difference between club and country, country will engender that where as clubs rarely do outside of a couple of American comps and a dozen or so soccer clubs in the world.

Matiunz

Juniors
NRL clubs are not global brands. not even close to it. AB's are, at least in a number of countries. They are also a NZ iconic brand meaning tourists will buy the AB gear as a memento of visiting NZ. That is the big difference between club and country, country will engender that where as clubs rarely do outside of a couple of American comps and a dozen or so soccer clubs in the world.
Interesting in the league world it’s the opposite, much more common to have a Warriors jersey than a kiwis one, I have both but kiwis stuff was no where near as readily available as Warriors gear. Not sure what the rate of other clubs also having kangaroos jerseys, ESL clubs with Lions jerseys etc? But I don’t seem them often, don’t think I’ve ever seen an English jersey for sale in Aus/NZ for example.
Do find it funny that they sell All Blacks jerseys in some Aus Airport souvenir shops

Perth Red

Post Whore
Interesting in the league world it’s the opposite, much more common to have a Warriors jersey than a kiwis one, I have both but kiwis stuff was no where near as readily available as Warriors gear. Not sure what the rate of other clubs also having kangaroos jerseys, ESL clubs with Lions jerseys etc? But I don’t seem them often, don’t think I’ve ever seen an English jersey for sale in Aus/NZ for example.
Do find it funny that they sell All Blacks jerseys in some Aus Airport souvenir shops

for the general public it is about awareness and perception and reality is Union int teams have much stronger presence in the non rugby (sic) world. The high profile int scene inc a much bigger WC and things like Lions tours play a big part in that.

RL has always been club focused and Int is an afterthought, at least in modern times. I hope that changes but its a hard culture to shift.

MugaB

Coach
Geez. Nearly sold out, like a month out? Almost like they should put a team there..
Remember when we were told League was only popular in certain suburbs of Auckland? Lmao
Redcliffe and Cronulla always sells out, don't mean they "need" to put a team there

Gobsmacked

Bench
Fine then, don't mean they "should" put a team there

Watch out fellas, Grammar police is out and about this week
Grammar police? " Should " and " need" are completely different f**king words mate.
But fair enough, perhaps some semantics isn't helpful. We could use need in the context of " if we are to capitalise on the recent boom for the NRL In NZ, then we NEED another team.
And no, the crowds alone aren't the reason for another team:
*5 million Rugby loving people
* talent
* television deal
*brand new stadium
* rivalry

Latest posts