What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Zealand 2 will deal a massive blow to NZ rugby

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
I am saying ( in respect of the other bids) that because things are not being reported in the media , we can’t just say that means they arent being considered … What has occurred the past few months in respect of the western bears bid is proof of that … your original post I responded to mentioned the media along with PVL…. My point is they have been wrong time and again over this process …and peopke shouldn’t read too much into what they say/arent saying

Of course PVL is going to know what is going on… he is the one making the decisions!
I’m not arguing your view on general media. You’re right. I am however stating that right now it’s PVL who is driving the WA narrative and by doing so putting pressure on WA Premier to step up. There’s direct quotes from him in print saying as much.

Seems PVL is deadset on making sure a WA Bears NRL incarnation of some sort comes to fruition. It’s a pet project for him and his legacy. Back to my original post it’s being played out in the media via PVL (I should have further clarified what I meant, apologies) in a way that lends itself to this notion.

As far as thread topic goes: NZ2 looks likely that it is team 20 and I don’t think this past week changes that. If anything PVL personally driving the WA narrative just reinforces it tbh.

BuffaloRules

Coach
I’m not arguing your view on general media. You’re right. I am however stating that right now it’s PVL who is driving the WA narrative and by doing so putting pressure on WA Premier to step up. There’s direct quotes from him in print saying as much.

Seems PVL is deadset on making sure a WA Bears NRL incarnation of some sort comes to fruition. It’s a pet project for him and his legacy. Back to my original post it’s being played out in the media via PVL (I should have further clarified what I meant, apologies) in a way that lends itself to this notion.

As far as thread topic goes: NZ2 looks likely that it is team 20 and I don’t think this past week changes that. If anything PVL personally driving the WA narrative just reinforces it tbh.

Well… that’s your opinion, and i would agree that seems likely , but not a certainty… and we have seen things described as “all but over the line” not turn out as such …

I wouldnt be ruling out NZ yet…maybe even before PNG….

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
Well… that’s your opinion, and i would agree that seems likely , but not a certainty… and we have seen things described as “all but over the line” not turn out as such …

I wouldnt be ruling out NZ yet…maybe even before PNG….
Agreed. Just pointing out the point of difference I guess.

flippikat

First Grade
Warriors to take one home game to chch new stadium in 2026

lol worried about nz2
The Warriors can see the writing on the wall - at some stage a 2nd NZ team will happen, and Christchurch had distance from the Warriors, a great sporting culture and (most crucially) an impressive COVERED rectangular stadium in the works - which crucially could spur copycat builds elsewhere when Australia & Auckland realize how good that is.

So for the Warriors it's a case of trying to get fans in Christchurch before they have a team of their own

Matiunz

Juniors
I will say this. If WA wasn’t being line up then this whole thing wouldn’t be being played out in the media (and therefore immense pressure being applied to relevant parties) how it is.

PNG followed a similar trend. Their bid was essentially sunk in May/June and it played out in the media to get more funding by July/August. The fact no one is genuinely talking about NZ2 or Brisbane 3 especially people in regarded positions of power speaks volumes.

When you start hearing PVL, ARLC or media in general start ramping up the other bids to an almost daily occurrence than you know those bids are getting close. Getting the NZ Prime Minister or QLD premier involved in those bids wouldn’t hurt. There’s a clear pattern also happening there…
Or bids could be using the media to try and drum up support for their bids? Bears for example have been a perennial news item for years now, it’s a story to latch on to and as previous expansion rounds have shown it doesn’t necessarily mean they’ll get in.
Bit of a segue but Warriors until recently we’re very leaky with info every announcement was a badly kept secret, the back of house has tidied their act up of late and even insiders don’t hear whispers about most signings until it’s done- it certainly makes them appear more professional- maybe the NZ 2 bid is taking a leaf out of their book?

Maximus

Coach
Because he wanted the fans to own it. Same model as the Green Bay Packers.
It's not a " need" it's a preference.

You mean the team that didn't start off as community owned, it started selling shares to bail them out of debt, and took 70 years for to get to where they are now and actually owned by the community, not just a few rich people?

Try finding a team that started fan owned, and not one that only became one later after it already had a fanbase.

Gobsmacked

Bench
Or bids could be using the media to try and drum up support for their bids? Bears for example have been a perennial news item for years now, it’s a story to latch on to and as previous expansion rounds have shown it doesn’t necessarily mean they’ll get in.
Bit of a segue but Warriors until recently we’re very leaky with info every announcement was a badly kept secret, the back of house has tidied their act up of late and even insiders don’t hear whispers about most signings until it’s done- it certainly makes them appear more professional- maybe the NZ 2 bid is taking a leaf out of their book?
I said from the beginning that the fact there's an NDA means the NRL have highlighted that they want this process done behind closed doors, not politicised or played out though media!
Obviously those movements made that interfere with the clear process layed out by the NRL will be looked upon with distain.

It's not a coincidence that the ONLY bid to be rejected before the process is even complete... is the bid that didn't respect the process!

No news is good news.

Vlad59

Bench
I said from the beginning that the fact there's an NDA means the NRL have highlighted that they want this process done behind closed doors, not politicised or played out though media!
Obviously those movements made that interfere with the clear process layed out by the NRL will be looked upon with distain.

It's not a coincidence that the ONLY bid to be rejected before the process is even complete... is the bid that didn't respect the process!

No news is good news.
Did we want a bid supported by a company with a reputation like this? Dodged a bullet mate.

Matiunz

Juniors

Population of South Island cities
I’d say regular season games would be CHCH and 1-2 in Dunedin with Trials in Nelson and possibly Invercargill. Nelson is nice enough but Invercargill would be a tough location to attract visitors and would likely travel the 2 odd hours to a Dunedin game anyways