What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Zealand 2 will deal a massive blow to NZ rugby

Is having 90 juniors in a country of 5 Million really such a "great achievement"?
No, especially when a large proportion come from RU pathways. And continuing to leverage RU pathways isn't sustainable longer term either. If/when NZ2 comes along, they'll be tapping into the same systems.

Wb1234

Referee
No, especially when a large proportion come from RU pathways. And continuing to leverage RU pathways isn't sustainable longer term either. If/when NZ2 comes along, they'll be tapping into the same systems.
That’s exactly what will happen

they will need another 90 people to fill their elite pathways

That’s exactly what will happen

they will need another 90 people to fill their elite pathways
Yes, but my point is whether continuing to tap into RU pathways is sustainable long term. IMO, its not.

Despite what many think, RU isn't going to stand still and die a slow death. There's too much money and history involved here. They'll keep trying to fix things and if they succeed, or even just start improving, fewer of those RU kids will be inclined to switch codes.

If taking over NZ is RL's ambition, it needs to invest in developing its own pathways within schools and local clubs. If that's too expensive, then so too is the ambition.

Wb1234

Referee
Yes, but my point is whether continuing to tap into RU pathways is sustainable long term. IMO, its not.

Despite what many think, RU isn't going to stand still and die a slow death. There's too much money and history involved here. They'll keep trying to fix things and if they succeed, or even just start improving, fewer of those RU kids will be inclined to switch codes.

If taking over NZ is RL's ambition, it needs to invest in developing its own pathways within schools and local clubs. If that's too expensive, then so too is the ambition.
Well as long as union has money to fund the junior pathways then we can always come in and cherry pick for our teams

as the warriors have shown these juniors are not only competing with the best Aussie talent but dominating in some divisions

ALX25

Bench
Nearly half of those were from RU schools.

So numbers for Warriors juniors are looking good now they have a full pathway system in place, but there's still a lot of work needed to strengthen juniors across the code.

Unsure if this article has been posted. Disregard if it has.

Wb1234

Referee
“Among them are schools regarded as rugby union bastions which have a history of openly refusing to cater for rugby league and, in some instances, banning their pupils from playing the 13-man code.”

But we were told school don’t do this it’s just a lack of interest as to why league isn’t played in schools and nobody in nz gets banned for playing rugby league

“Among them are schools regarded as rugby union bastions which have a history of openly refusing to cater for rugby league and, in some instances, banning their pupils from playing the 13-man code.”

But we were told school don’t do this it’s just a lack of interest as to why league isn’t played in schools and nobody in nz gets banned for playing rugby league

Whoever said that was probably generalising, but this doesn't surprise me personally. Its not common, but there are schools who wont support RL and even actively discourage it.

I went to a school that didn't have a league team and didn't want a league team. But they could do fk all about us playing 1stXV on Saturday and club league on Sundays, so 'ban' is probably an exaggeration.

But regardless... more reason to not depend too heavily on RU pathways isnt it.

Canard

Immortal
This happens in Australia with the private schools also.

I assume a major issue is that these kids are on scholarship with the School, and they don't won't them injured playing a outside sport.

But yeh, it's why relying on Union to provide League players is beyond a stupid take, and I think even Old mate agrees, but is to stubborn or stupid to admit his idea was shit.

Wb1234

Referee
Whoever said that was probably generalising, but this doesn't surprise me personally. Its not common, but there are schools who wont support RL and even actively discourage it.

I went to a school that didn't have a league team and didn't want a league team. But they could do fk all about us playing 1stXV on Saturday and club league on Sundays, so 'ban' is probably an exaggeration.

But regardless... more reason to not depend too heavily on RU pathways isnt it.

you say it’s not common and schools and could little about bans so nah

Matua

Bench

History is the operative word here. Absolutely no one has said that this didn't historically happen.

But this is a B/S article, there's always been "rugby" guys playing for the Warriors at junior level. When I was at school we had two guys in the Warriors juniors (Tohu Harris' school but pre 1995, they had juniors in 1993) and it's a traditional rugby school.

If you actually look at Becht's list of rugby players a bunch of them go to schools with longstanding league teams anyway. He singles out Rotorua Boys and De La Salle is mentioned as a rugby school yet they've always competed in the league comps and have a pretty poor rugby comp. Both these teams have been recent finalists/winners in the national league comp. Oddly enough, in his list he has St Pauls players which is the premier league school in the country having won the comp more times than all the other schools combined.

Also, for any player outside of Auckland they're naturally going to come from a rugby school as there are no league schools. You could go through the old Warriors U20s teams and a fair number of players would have come from "rugby" schools.

In conclusion, this is nothing new. But fill your boots Wb.

Matua

Bench
This happens in Australia with the private schools also.

I assume a major issue is that these kids are on scholarship with the School, and they don't won't them injured playing a outside sport.

But yeh, it's why relying on Union to provide League players is beyond a stupid take, and I think even Old mate agrees, but is to stubborn or stupid to admit his idea was shit.
The main issue when a kid goes to a rugby school and commits to the rugby team then rightfully that takes precedence over going away on for example Warriors camp (or any other sport). They can't make a commitment to a team and their fellow players and expect to be able to pick and chose when they attend. Especially in the big rugby schools where the spots are highly contested.

In saying that many schools will allow for players to miss some parts of the season if they have previously reached an agreement with the coaches/team.

Matua

Bench

Canard

Immortal
The main issue when a kid goes to a rugby school and commits to the rugby team then rightfully that takes precedence over going away on for example Warriors camp (or any other sport). They can't make a commitment to a team and their fellow players and expect to be able to pick and chose when they attend. Especially in the big rugby schools where the spots are highly contested.

In saying that many schools will allow for players to miss some parts of the season if they have previously reached an agreement with the coaches/team.
Lots of League players go to GPS schools on scholarships in Brisbane (Hamiso, Kalyn, etc.) and exclusively play Union for a season or two.

In reverse I would imagine Kirwan High, Palm Beach Currumbin would piss there pants if their scholarship players were playing others sports in season.

Matua

Bench
Lots of League players go to GPS schools on scholarships in Brisbane (Hamiso, Kalyn, etc.) and exclusively play Union for a season or two.

In reverse I would imagine Kirwan High, Palm Beach Currumbin would piss there pants if their scholarship players were playing others sports in season.
As @Thatwasnthighref notes many kids play rugby on Saturday and league on Sunday, as I did, as league is mostly a club game in NZ so in many schools the exclusivity isn't apparent or wasn't back in the day.

But, I think at any of the Super 8 schools (probably top schoolboy comp) it would be almost impossible to do now as many games are away games and they often do weekend training.

DO any of those league schools have rugby teams (like Rotorua Boys having a league team)?

Canard

Immortal
DO any of those league schools have rugby teams (like Rotorua Boys having a league team)?
Not to my knowledge, and even if they did, it would be very amateur in comparison to the League operation.

With the notable exception of Brisbane State High which operates as a pseudo private school.

final say

Juniors
Oh, you still here? You've been so quiet here I thought you were hiding on your other little troll thread you set up.

That's just the same stuff we're already discussing .that's in the Becht Warriors article we're discussing so see the posts above.
I'm only pretending to be here.