What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Zealand 2 will deal a massive blow to NZ rugby

Wb1234

Referee

MugaB

Coach
Fiji put a bid in now

down the track they should get a team
Fiji, Tonga and Samoa islands are positioned in a triangle, they are quite near to each other, still an hours flight between them, but are each other's closest neighbours, a pacifika team based in fiji isn't that far fetched... but reality says most nrl players that represent those areas are born and bred in aus

Wb1234

Referee
Fiji, Tonga and Samoa islands are positioned in a triangle, they are quite near to each other, still an hours flight between them, but are each other's closest neighbours, a pacifika team based in fiji isn't that far fetched... but reality says most nrl players that represent those areas are born and bred in aus
Because Aussie clubs are too lazy to go over there

there’s an article today a Tongan schoolboys side is touring is now. 4 men are getting deals with nrl clubs, and the women’s side even more

Fiji is close to a million people and the players those islands produce is huge

MugaB

Coach
Because Aussie clubs are too lazy to go over there

there’s an article today a Tongan schoolboys side is touring is now. 4 men are getting deals with nrl clubs, and the women’s side even more

Fiji is close to a million people and the players those islands produce is huge
Yes but they'll need to build pathways for that pacifika team, otherwise they are just going to be drafted into our current 17 nrl clubs pathways instead, as you just noted 4 schoolboys from tonga

Matua

Bench
Can't be mate. We've been told that the game is in decline at a grass roots level because they once lived in NZ a long time ago.
Sheesh you guys are dingbats - the increase in numbers this year doesn't negate the fact that there had been a decline in grassroots level previously. One of the key points most of the posters from NZ you chose to pick fights with when this thread started was the hope that the Warriors success would spillover into grassroots.

So, it's good that numbers of teams have increased. However, before you lot get overexcited yet again, it's a yearly one off tournament with teams across 4 different grades. League needs ongoing seasonal comps if your aim of destroying rugby in NZ is going to come to fruition.

final say

Juniors
Sheesh you guys are dingbats - the increase in numbers this year doesn't negate the fact that there had been a decline in grassroots level previously. One of the key points most of the posters from NZ you chose to pick fights with when this thread started was the hope that the Warriors success would spillover into grassroots.

So, it's good that numbers of teams have increased. However, before you lot get overexcited yet again, it's a yearly one off tournament with teams across 4 different grades. League needs ongoing seasonal comps if your aim of destroying rugby in NZ is going to come to fruition.
I thought you'd be happy.. being a League fan and all.
There's no aim to destroy Union, it's a unique sport with many traditions that can be appreciated in small doses at an international level.
It's been put on a pedestal by NZ for a long time, mostly due to it successful national team, the patriotism that that embodies and the joy it brings a small nation being giants.
Union belongs in a niche and it will.
The NRL is the biggest professional sporting competition in the Oceania region and as NZ slowly realises this while also appreciating that it's part of it will propel Rugby league to dominance in NZ and Union will be the niche. If you look at the way both sports are tracking currently, that cross will be made between 10 and 15 years.
The introduction of a second NZ team will decrease that timeline by 5 to 10 years.
Rugby league is the national sport in PNG and I believe it will be in 2 countries soon, the second being NZ .
How that translates to Australia's success is interesting but certainly won't hurt.

Wb1234

Referee
There's no aim to destroy Union, it's a unique sport with many traditions that can be appreciated in small doses at an international level.
It's been put on a pedestal by NZ for a long time, mostly due to it successful national team, the patriotism that that embodies and the joy it brings a small nation being giants.
The NRL is the biggest professional sporting competition in the Oceania region and as NZ slowly realises this while also appreciating that it's part of it will propel Rugby league to dominance in NZ and Union will be the niche. If you look at the way both sports are tracking currently, that cross will be made between 10 and 15 years.
The introduction of a second NZ team will decrease that timeline by 5 to 10 years.
Rugby league is the national sport in PNG and I believe it will be in 2 countries soon, the second being NZ .
How that translates to Australia's success is interesting but certainly won't hurt.
He doesn’t seem happy about the good news that’s for sure lol

Matua

Bench
You seriously have reading comprehension issues, I said it was good.

Matua

Bench
Lol then undermined the progress for 2 paragraphs.
Dick head
If you want to consider an increase in teams in a one off tournament as more than what it is then be my guest. If you don't want context then so be it. But currently every major city and many provincial centres have multiple rugby comps going on with way more than 65 teams. It's a good start, but that's all it is - unlike you I'm a realist, I don't live in your fantasy world.

final say

Juniors
If you want to consider an increase in teams in a one off tournament as more than what it is then be my guest. If you don't want context then so be it. But currently every major city and many provincial centres have multiple rugby comps going on with way more than 65 teams. It's a good start, but that's all it is - unlike you I'm a realist, I don't live in your fantasy world.
Now the League fan is hear to do the bidding of Rugby comps...
What a surprise.
You also don't live in NZ.