What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Zealand 2 will deal a massive blow to NZ rugby

Wb1234

Referee
Super league didn’t help but adding 4 new expansion teams at the same time was crazy.

apart from the warriors the others had poor squads.
Yes

the vision was right thought

warriors and cowboys survived all along
Perth should never been kicked out

and we should be onto our 3rd Brisbane club already let alone just having brought back the second one

Brian potter

First Grade
Would’ve been way better

even two divisions and promotion and relegation

still got wests tigers in qld cup who have 60 million in assets
The NSWRL and BRL would have been good starting points and bases for conferences.

core base of established clubs with expansion sides added to each conference but BRL conference admits more than the NSWRL conference.

Wb1234

Referee
The NSWRL and BRL would have been good starting points and bases for conferences.

core base of established clubs with expansion sides added to each conference but BRL conference admits more than the NSWRL conference.
Poker machines came too late to qld or it would’ve happened

Brl was against a qld team in the nswrl for a long time and only gave in when player loss to nsw became too great

flippikat

Bench
Always thought it would of been better that the NSWRL and BRL would of merged.
Yes, BUT for that to have happened in the 1980s, it would've needed a complete revamp of club funding away from pokies, so as to be fair for all.

Not impossible, but it would've required a change in thinking, and a total revamp of business models.

Matua

Bench
Current deal is 32 million pa

Since that was signed the ratings have gone up a lot

a second nz side will be very valuable

No way the tv deal goes down with a second nrl team.

the second team should be worth at least 10 to 20 million pa

rugby league shouldn’t try and copy union systems. Its too costly

cherry pick from those systems for warriors and nz2 elite pathway teams from reserve grade down to under 16

the popularity of the old under20s when the warriors got lots of best talent is a good example

a second nz nrl side means spaces for up to 100 more kiwi rugby league mens and juniors

If nz2 is a success then Wellington and Auckland two should be added

the more nrl teams nz can support the more juniors they can find and support

Raw talent wise kiwis are better. But they grow up playing both codes and arent playing against the best kids from a young age

imagine you are in Sydney you are playing the best each week.

other issues like how poorly the nzrl are run also need to be considered

another is the Aussies neglect of nz happy to take the large tv deals and juniors but not invest a lot back

a kiwi should be on the commission and the name changed to the Anzac league
This post is all over the show, but you actually make some sense in some of it and reiterate things I stated in the early days of the thread. Your first part is a fight with Te Kaha you had that you're trying to have with me since they're not here anymore.

However, I doubt a second NZ team will be worth $20m to Sky, for some of the reasons @Matiunz stated.

I mentioned that league should utilise the elite rugby systems while at school way back in the early days of the thread. I also stated that there were better pathways for NZers, and more juniors during the U20s era.

Auckland 2 is a complete non starter. The city isn't Brisbane. It can't support two teams. For most of it's existence it's only just been able to support one.

Agree completely that the NRL needs to invest more $$ in NZ.

final say

Juniors
This post is all over the show, but you actually make some sense in some of it and reiterate things I stated in the early days of the thread. Your first part is a fight with Te Kaha you had that you're trying to have with me since they're not here anymore.

However, I doubt a second NZ team will be worth $20m to Sky, for some of the reasons @Matiunz stated.

I mentioned that league should utilise the elite rugby systems while at school way back in the early days of the thread. I also stated that there were better pathways for NZers, and more juniors during the U20s era.

Auckland 2 is a complete non starter. The city isn't Brisbane. It can't support two teams. For most of it's existence it's only just been able to support one.

Agree completely that the NRL needs to invest more $$ in NZ.
The Warriors are increasing all their feeder systems and next year will be the introduction of the Women's team.
The introduction of a second NZ team will essentially mean a doubling of all of the above but an increase beyond that is also assured as the hype of a new team booms the junior and participation intrest.
Great times ahead for NZ rugby league.

Wb1234

Referee
nrl is about top down expansion in many places

put the nrl team in and they will find the juniors and put them in their pathways

a huge issue is the quality of nz juniors and players produced by nz vs Australian teams

Aussie clubs do a far better job of producing nrl players from kiwi juniors than the warriors do

Guys like Hughes at Melbourne or fisher Harris at the panthers

warriors seem happy just to pay overs to get these kinds of players from Aussie clubs

the talent on show for the warriors today pales when compared to the 2002 side

so many kiwi offcasts from Aussie clubs

wheres the flow of exciting kiwi talent produced by the warriors

and on the tv deal anything sky nz pay is a bonus.’ Because it provides an extra 8 games for Aussie tv networks

Last edited:

Matua

Bench
nrl is about top down expansion in many places

put the nrl team in and they will find the juniors and put them in their pathways

a huge issue is the quality of nz juniors and players produced by nz vs Australian teams

Aussie clubs do a far better job of producing nrl players from kiwi juniors than the warriors do

Guys like Hughes at Melbourne or fisher Harris at the panthers

warriors seem happy just to pay overs to get these kinds of players from Aussie clubs

so many kiwi offcasts from Aussie clubs

wheres the flow of exciting kiwi talent produced by the warriors

and on the tv deal anything sky nz pay is a bonus.’ Because it provides an extra 8 games for Aussie tv networks
This post highlights a lot of the historical concerns that us NZers have had regarding the Warriors. As you rightly note the Warriors aren't that great at identifying and bringing through young NZ talent - hopefully we have a permanent change there now so that the next Hughes, JFH and Jesse Bromwich's etc stay in NZ.

You were doing so well until you got to here. The 2002 side was stacked, and the Kiwi talent was deep as fudge. In fact I find hard to take this comment seriously, I think you're just taking the piss. A guy like Ford would barely make the Vulcans side back then.