What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newcastle Knights 2019 Team

Old dog

Juniors
We don't have a goal kicker, maybe Ponga but no one else, say he gets injured who else.
As for centre Moga nor ready round 1 then ho else but Sione assuming we done sign a centre, Ross most likely but not as good, forget about like or dislike Sione, think about the team, surely common sense prevails.

Knight Vision

First Grade
We don't have a goal kicker, maybe Ponga but no one else, say he gets injured who else
this is a concern for sure. Looks like it will be The Pong or bust for conversions unless someone else has been practicing in the off season and is a natural.

Old dog

Juniors
Besides Ponga I don't see a goal kicker in our whole squad, 26 at this stage,Melendez if you manufacture one he won't be a natural, in other words high percentage success.

Apatus

Juniors
As for centre Moga nor ready round 1 then ho else but Sione assuming we done sign a centre, Ross most likely but not as good, forget about like or dislike Sione, think about the team, surely common sense prevails.

Your assertion that Sione is the "common sense" option ignores that every indication from coach & club is that Sione will be preparing to play back-row.

"Forget about like or dislike"; Ross is In the top 30 and will have he experience and preparation to play centre. Sione will not have that preparation.

Ross may not be there round 1 but we surely won't release him without a suitable replacement. Again, "common sense" is that replacement will have to be a better option than Sione too.

For the record, I like Sione a lot and I'm trying very hard to be impartial.

Frederick

Staff member
We don't have a goal kicker, maybe Ponga but no one else, say he gets injured who else.
Sure, ok, let's think about the team. Danny Levi is a liability and, for the greater good of the team, should f**k right off. Care to weigh in, old man?

perverse

Referee
Sure, ok, let's think about the team. Danny Levi is a liability and, for the greater good of the team, should f**k right off. Care to weigh in, old man?
Who hurt you? lol.
Ponga goes down in a match, who kicks? Lino is a huge failure and Kalyn is in Origin camp, who kicks? It's not overly controversial to look at our squad and think we're thin for goalkicking options. Our best goal kicker kicked at 69% last year.

mozza91

Coach
We could start with Fitzy and Sione in the back row with Guerra at lock and have Ese or Dan Saf as part of our front row bench rotation. It does mean we’d have more impact off the bench.

I would prefer to have Klemmer and Saifiti in the front row and Ese at lock though.

Old dog

Juniors
Don't know what brought that on, didn't mention Levi, obviously something upsetting you, sorry if it's me

Frederick

Staff member
So why exactly are people against Lino? He ran that warriors side exceptionally well whenever called upon, and could be the solution to keeping Ponga at fullback.

Lino could end up being this off-seasons Slade Griffin. This time last year, every single one of us had Levi pencilled in as starting hooker...no-one expected Slade to take over the way he did.

Knight Vision

First Grade
So why exactly are people against Lino? He ran that warriors side exceptionally well whenever called upon, and could be the solution to keeping Ponga at fullback.

Lino could end up being this off-seasons Slade Griffin. This time last year, every single one of us had Levi pencilled in as starting hooker...no-one expected Slade to take over the way he did.

Slade was deputy to arguably the best hooker of all time and still made the 17 with him in the side. A career somewhat hampered by injury but part of the most successful club and culture over the last decade.

Lino was part of the Warriors ( nuff said ) , gets a run due to injury on the odd occasion is 24 with a mere 18 games to his name and some pretty unremarkable stats. Doubt he's been engaged to be anything other than a back-up half. I couldnt imagine any successful team in the 8 that would have Lino as part of its spine but would be over the moon if I'm wrong. We need a very good back up option. He's a Knight so I wish him nothing but the best.

SamSepi0l

Juniors
Slade was deputy to arguably the best hooker of all time and still made the 17 with him in the side. A career somewhat hampered by injury but part of the most successful club and culture over the last decade.

Lino was part of the Warriors ( nuff said ) , gets a run due to injury on the odd occasion is 24 with a mere 18 games to his name and some pretty unremarkable stats. Doubt he's been engaged to be anything other than a back-up half. I couldnt imagine any successful team in the 8 that would have Lino as part of its spine but would be over the moon if I'm wrong. We need a very good back up option. He's a Knight so I wish him nothing but the best.
Agreed.
I have a soft spot for him because he's always fun to watch, but defensively, he's worse than Lamb with a worse long kicking game too.
He's a back up here and should be well behind Watson and Ponga for the 6.

I'll absolutely support him in the team, but he's a replacement level player - which is what we got him as.

Yosh

Coach
So update!

1. Watson
2. Lee
3. Ramien
4. Moga
5. SKD

6. Ponga
7. Pearce

8. Klemmer
9. Mann
10. Saifiti
11. Guerra
12. Fitzgibbon
13. Ese'ese

14. Woolford
15. Glasby
16. Barnett
17. Mata'utai

Is that our best team? Mann and Woolford rotate at hooker. Glasby and Barnett rotate with the middle three and Sione rotates with both backrowers?

Good to see a team sheet with most of the team first grade quality.

slotmachine

First Grade
They aren't going in with one prop on the bench.

I don't see a role for Sione "rotating with both backrowers" as they play 80 minutes and are better.

That said, Brown thought his best bench was 2 props, Buhrer and Lamb last year. So who knows.

SamSepi0l

Juniors
So update!

1. Watson
2. Lee
3. Ramien
4. Moga
5. SKD

6. Ponga
7. Pearce

8. Klemmer
9. Mann
10. Saifiti
11. Guerra
12. Fitzgibbon
13. Ese'ese

14. Woolford
15. Glasby
16. Barnett
17. Mata'utai

Is that our best team? Mann and Woolford rotate at hooker. Glasby and Barnett rotate with the middle three and Sione rotates with both backrowers?

Good to see a team sheet with most of the team first grade quality.

I'd say there is less than 5% chance Mann starts at hooker.

Also you forgot Gavet.
So forwards we have:
8. Klemmer
9. Levi
10. Saifiti
11. Guerra
12. Fitzgibbon
13. Ese'ese

14. Woolford
15. Glasby
16. Gavet
17. Mata'utia
18. Barnett

The unusual position we're in is we will have six forwards whose best position is in the middle rather than an edge with Dan, Klem, Glasby,Ese'ese, Barnett, Gavet.
Guerra is border line too, albeit a different type of middle forward.

Old dog

Juniors
Name any at 1-13 I think bench will be Buhrer, 2 props and a back rower if 3 middle forwards used in 13 or if only two then bench will be Buhrer and 3 props/middle