What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newcastle Vs Penrith in Alice Springs

Copa

Bench
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,16265421-23214,00.html

Knights, Panthers to play in NT
August 15, 2005

NEWCASTLE will play Penrith in an NRL trial game at Anzac Oval in Alice Springs on February 11 next year.

The NT government will spend $73,000 on the game, and depending on its success, will negotiate a second game in Darwin in 2007.

"We are looking at striking a deal again to bring the Penrith Panthers and Newcastle Knights back to the Territory to Darwin in 2007 to play (a) trial game," NT Sports Minister Delia Lawrie said.

"We've been assured by (the) ARL (Australian Rugby League) and the NRL that the guys are very keen to come up here and we will be seeing the guns of the game and not some young guys running around the paddock for the first time."

Panthers_Gurl

First Grade
Copa said:
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,16265421-23214,00.html

Knights, Panthers to play in NT
August 15, 2005

NEWCASTLE will play Penrith in an NRL trial game at Anzac Oval in Alice Springs on February 11 next year.

The NT government will spend $73,000 on the game, and depending on its success, will negotiate a second game in Darwin in 2007.

"We are looking at striking a deal again to bring the Penrith Panthers and Newcastle Knights back to the Territory to Darwin in 2007 to play (a) trial game," NT Sports Minister Delia Lawrie said.

"We've been assured by (the) ARL (Australian Rugby League) and the NRL that the guys are very keen to come up here and we will be seeing the guns of the game and not some young guys running around the paddock for the first time."

:lol: Anzac oval.....my old high schools oval...VERY SMALL oval too

Simo

First Grade
Good idea as the NT has a decent following of the game.

first thing that comes to mind though is Feb playing footy it the NT.....how bloody hot will it be? Newcastle better not take Brian Carney, he will have only just got here from the cold of the English North to play a game in the desert!!!

perverse

Referee
Simo said:
Good idea as the NT has a decent following of the game.

first thing that comes to mind though is Feb playing footy it the NT.....how bloody hot will it be? Newcastle better not take Brian Carney, he will have only just got here from the cold of the English North to play a game in the desert!!!
rofl yeah, poor bastard will melt.
in fact they may have to rest him that game even.

yakstorm

First Grade
Good to see its tied in with a range of visits to the local schools and aboriginal communities to help spark some interest before the start of the Central Australia RL competition next year.

Green Machine

First Grade
Copa,
You’ve got the wrong town. I think in 1994, a pre season Challenge Cup match was staged in Alice Springs. I think the Broncos played. In the yearly 90’s Souths played Penrith in a premiership match in Darwin. I think I read somewhere that the Knights will also play a trial in Perth next year,

nqboy

First Grade
Copa said:

Fantastic news, though my first thought was NT? In February? Can't wait for more trials to be announced in Perth, Adelaide, GC, CC and NSW Country.

Copa

Bench
Green Machine said:
Copa,
You’ve got the wrong town. I think in 1994, a pre season Challenge Cup match was staged in Alice Springs. I think the Broncos played. In the yearly 90’s Souths played Penrith in a premiership match in Darwin. I think I read somewhere that the Knights will also play a trial in Perth next year,
ha ha...

Nuke

Staff member
Michael Hagan himself told Dad, Mum, my sister, and her friend (all at once) in December last year that the Knights were bringing a trial against Penrith to Perth in 2006. He said that pretty well everything was done and dusted, and all it needed was a signature or two on the dotted line.

It's not looking likely that it will be a Knights-Panthers game in Perth now that it's been confirmed for Alice Springs, but I am still extremely hopeful we're getting a Knights game in Perth next year.

aussies1st

Staff member
Good to see the NRL trying to expand the game. Still someway before we get past AFL

Panthers_Gurl

First Grade
Green Machine said:
Copa,

Yep it was the broncos....i was there at the game.....back when i supported broncos:lol:

Panthers_Gurl said:
Yep it was the broncos....i was there at the game.....back when i supported broncos:lol:

Was it against the Steelers? (I know they played in Alice Springs in either 93 or 94, pretty sure it was against Brisbane in 94).

Penrith played an NRL match back in 1991 in Darwin against the Balmain Tigers.

It was televised on Channel 10 and the score was 14 - 0 to the Panthers!!

yakstorm

First Grade
North Sydney played Brisbane up in Alice Springs in the early 90's...it was something like 38 degrees that day...the poor players were struggling.

Pantherjim.

Referee
Personally I think the N.R.L. has more serious priorities afoot then trying to expand the game in that deslolate overheated dustbowl. Like MARKETING and PROMOTION for example. - The A.F.L are seriously kicking our a*se in these departments.

Pantherjim.