What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newscorp And Rugby League

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Talk about netflix, google etc. Who would produce the games? Don't these companies buy finished products?

Netflix spend a lot of money on producing their own shows. Amazon is heading down the same path.

Google has streamed a lot of sport on Youtube, not sure if they use their own production teams or just copy the main stream though.

gallagher

Juniors
Netflix spend a lot of money on producing their own shows. Amazon is heading down the same path.

Google has streamed a lot of sport on Youtube, not sure if they use their own production teams or just copy the main stream though.

Oh okay. You think production costs of televising a sport would be cheaper than producing a tv program.

t-ba

Post Whore
Oh okay. You think production costs of televising a sport would be cheaper than producing a tv program.

Don't have to worry quite as much about pirating with a live product. Most people shelling out for FOXTEL right now aren't going to hack a shitty pirated stream and will probably shell out for a subscription. They'd probably be interested in seeing whether or not it is worth it.

It's quite logical for these companies to try out these models in a small market like Oz before trying it in Europe and the States.

So after yrs of news screwing us over ,lackeys bowing down to rupey ..hi Dave ,we finally get a leader & a commission who have the balls to take news ltd on .
To turn the screws on them ,& suddenly all the soft c**ks are wimmpering .

Talk about panic merchants .
Have a bit of faith in the people running the game .
Look at where we are now compared to under Gallop .

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
I said a few years ago when BEIN sport started in France and got the rights to the Catalans Dragons that they were thinking about heading to Australia, they have a track record of telling uncle Rupert to shove it and pay overs just to take sports rights away from him, lets hope they get into it soon or another like them do.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade

I honestly have no idea mate, but like t-ba says Aus/NZ would be a great place for them to test the the water. Small, wealthy markets with only one real competitor (Fox in Aus, Sky in NZ). A lot of upside if things go well and not much downside if they tank.

It was mentioned in another thread around here that Google/Youtube recently got the rights to stream the Bundesliga in NZ, it might just be the beginning.

Brutus

Referee
Paul Kent is just about the biggest merkin in RL media.

The bloke offers not a single shred of value to any sensible RL fan and his opinions are entirely based on benefit to himself and his employer.

That sums him up nicely.

Just a News LTD mouthpiece.

user_nat

Coach
So what are people worried about, we already have over 900 million for FTA with more games live. We still have pay TV LOL, streaming, International games, Sky NZ and so on. When you look at it without panicking, the NRL will probably still come out in front at the end of the day and it's one year shorter contract.

Our FTA deal isn't really a directly comparable though. Nine are getting more games, exclusive games, better time slots and streaming rights. Plus State of Orgin.

I suspect this plays into Rupert's comment today. The NRL haven't left fox much and taken their 2 most popular time slots.

Last edited:
Its all part of the game

Rupert wont walk away from the NRL

remember its all about the game and how you play it, its all about control and if you can take it

applesauce

Bench
isnt the news...

AFL now has 3.5 FTA games a week while NRL has 4

this is a huge shift..

Foxtel have the right to sell a FTA game to CH10. They will end up with 4.5 games/week over multiple FTA channels + their own PTV channel.

News Corp will also have the right to sub-license a Saturday afternoon game which is believed to be worth around $30 million per season, which will almost certainly go to Network Ten should the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission sign off on a mooted deal for Foxtel to take a 15 per cent stake in the struggling network.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/bus...dcast-deal-20150818-gj1ppz.html#ixzz3jAP2Ccg0

bileduct

Coach
He said Taufua and players should put there hands up like the pic below rathen use their shoulders to protect themself :lol:
Haha, I figured Kent must have outdone himself so I caught the replay to see what this streak of shit was going on about.

It's funny that for a guy who is constantly whining about the NRL he is so supportive of the current farce regarding players bracing themselves for contact being swept up in bullshit shoulder charge bans.

You can tell the dipshit doesn't even believe what he is saying himself.

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
I hope we don't sell to fox. Stuff them. They are a dead model anyway. Sport is the only thing keeping them alive. I'd happily drop my T-Box in heart beat. I only use it for NRL. I'd happily pay a subscription to the NRL directly if I could play the bloody game live on my TV. Not on a small screen laptop or tablet. Expand, put a 9th game on and sell it to another service. We have time to sort out the details.

Rupert is miles off the mark. They could go under without the NRL on the eastern side of Australia.

What is the big hurry to sign the rest of the deal anyway. We are talking a couple of years away yet. Give him 1 year at an inflated price and tell him that's all he can have. Set some insane KPI's for growth of viewers on his network through promotion and dedicated channels. Screw this prick into the ground where he belongs. Force him to sell his interests in every club as part of the deal too. And make him sign to say he will never own an NRL club ever again. Stuff him...

Perth Red

Post Whore
I hope we don't sell to fox. Stuff them. They are a dead model anyway. Sport is the only thing keeping them alive. I'd happily drop my T-Box in heart beat. I only use it for NRL. I'd happily pay a subscription to the NRL directly if I could play the bloody game live on my TV. Not on a small screen laptop or tablet. Expand, put a 9th game on and sell it to another service. We have time to sort out the details.

Rupert is miles off the mark. They could go under without the NRL on the eastern side of Australia.

What is the big hurry to sign the rest of the deal anyway. We are talking a couple of years away yet. Give him 1 year at an inflated price and tell him that's all he can have. Set some insane KPI's for growth of viewers on his network through promotion and dedicated channels. Screw this prick into the ground where he belongs. Force him to sell his interests in every club as part of the deal too. And make him sign to say he will never own an NRL club ever again. Stuff him...

Reality is we are talking $200mill a year! The game can not thrive without them. Its a bit of a mexican stand off, Fox need us and we need them, who will blink first?

TitanBronco

Juniors
Is it really only 900m FTA? Christ, how much have Foxtel stumped up?

Apparently it was $840m from 7 for 3.5 games a week over 6 years. 9 is paying $925m for 4 games a week over 5 years. So 9 is paying $185m a year for NRL, 7 is paying $140m a year for AFL.