What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newscorp And Rugby League

Perth Red

Post Whore
And yet in the context of the discussion - media rights - despite all that, the NRL -- with fewer matches per round, fewer teams & only 1 team (Storm) in the other half of the country -- once their full rights were completed during the last negotiations they came within a whisker of the AFL deal.

AFL might be propping up 3 moneypits in NSW & QLD but the NRL have a de-facto third "state" in New Zealand plus the benefit of regional NSW & QLD -- which has a massive population where the AFL has minimal presence.

And yet despite being the most popular sport on TV in Australia the nrl got less than the afl, by a reasonable amount if we are talking Australian content. Why was that? Why is it likely to happen again?

Last time we can blame the first and last rights pay off and the fact the Arlc and smith were new into the jobs, this time anything less than afl from Australian media and you have to accept their expansion and capital city presence, or there better management has once again got them more $'s. NRL is still the top rated sPort, origin is three massive marquee TV events, anything less from Australian media than the afl is a major fail by this administration. Equal or more is outstanding work and shows we don't need expansion to add TV $ value.

insert.pause

First Grade
Seven West are trying to reassure key stakeholders that they didn't over spend on AFL rights on a per minute basis. This stuff happens every time.

But to paraphrase them -- you'd expect that AFL -- the game that runs for an hour longer, has more ads and traditionally more F2A airtime -- to get a higher return than the NRL for F2A rights.

According to them as 7 paid less per annum in exchange for more broadcast hours 9 overpaid the NRL.

AFL also bleed viewers over length of broadcast, making advertising rates cheaper, wheras NRL games hold onto majority of audience for whole game.

Yesterday just looked like a cartel lead by News Corp with Seven & Telstra paying overs to join in, in the naive hope that the almighty Murdoch will lead them to the promised land of NSW & QLD.

Pj,Rj,Hj

Juniors
I don't know the figures, but a while ago I was told that the running costs for AFL are significantly higher - much bigger squads and far more support staff. Certainly the case when comparing the Swans to any Sydney NRL team.

Gillon McLachlan stated today that though Tassie deserves a Team, the economics just don't add up as $45 million is needed annually.

That being said AFL Clubs continue to rake in $millions more in revenue than NRL Clubs.

It certainly raises a question that with the natural growth of the NRL, can all of it's markets keep up?

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
What is the cost of running a team in the vic kick competition as compared to the NRL?

Most afl clubs are operating on revenues around $35-45million.
NRL around $15-25mill

I suspect clubs spend what they get on the large part so prob around $16-17mill to run a nrl club well and around $35mill to run an afl club. Some afl clubs pay things like ticket taxes, license fees to their state bodies etc which pushes up their running costs.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Wow what a lol worthy performance.
1 code in 10 years?
We've increased our fta coverage, more people will be able to see more games live, state of origin goes from strength to strength despite Queensland's dominance.
People aren't suddenly going to watch afl because Rupert said so.
What a merkin

Reminds me of the ARU taking over comments following the ruwc windfall. That worked out well for them lol!

How RL people like Sterlo, johns and ikin can sit there and let their organisation slate the game they are supposed to love I don't know. One thing RL fans knocking the game from time to time, quite enough letting journos and news ltd stick the boot in and saying nothing.

insert.pause

First Grade
every news corp report in the last 24hrs has claimed the NRL broadcast deal is $1.7bn, no 'expected' or 'predicted' or 'likely', it's as if they think if they keep saying it it will come true.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yep said the same on the front of the west Australian. Ill informed or propaganda? What is news ltds motivation here? Just butt hurt that they weren't included early in nines negotiations or a genuine dislike of nrl and finally taken off the facade of supporting the game?

RoosTah

Juniors
Reminds me of the ARU taking over comments following the ruwc windfall. That worked out well for them lol!

How RL people like Sterlo, johns and ikin can sit there and let their organisation slate the game they are supposed to love I don't know. One thing RL fans knocking the game from time to time, quite enough letting journos and news ltd stick the boot in and saying nothing.

God it's pathetic isn't it? Listening to Matty Johns on Triple M this morning was so painful... he just sounded so afraid and intimidated.

Chill the f**k out people! There's two years to go FFS!

Indelible

Juniors
It's very hard to get true analysis on this as Rupeet owns so much of the media. 360 was painful. Enjoying all this though. Time is on our side.

elbusto

Coach
If it takes two years to negotiate the new deal and news try to damage outr game to control the cost, and they will, this could get nasty. News have been writing pro afl puff pieces for years now. I wouldn't put anything past them.

Canard

Immortal
Buzz was just on 3AW in Melbourne, towing the party line.

Stated
- The GWS game would be the biggest game in Sydney this weekend. Even he retracted from that after a while realising how ridiculous it was

- Again that the NRL has shown bad "table manners" and snubbed long term broadcast partners

- Kept up the only the 4 worst games left argument. Surely it's 4 lowest rating time slots.

- Said the NRL will get only get 1.5 B and has been done over by the NRL.

He sounds like a drink Parkinson's sufferer by the way. Also Vics are so sycophantic towards AFL that they are towing the company line for News on a Fairfax channel???

Also the AFL boss is quite literally a Polo playing elitist, yet you won't see any articles on that and plenty on Dave Smith using Uber plus instead of driving a 73 Torana.

God it's pathetic isn't it? Listening to Matty Johns on Triple M this morning was so painful... he just sounded so afraid and intimidated.

Chill the f**k out people! There's two years to go FFS!

He sure did. I put it down to him being scared that he'll lose some employment.

Canard

Immortal
If it takes two years to negotiate the new deal and news try to damage outr game to control the cost, and they will, this could get nasty. News have been writing pro afl puff pieces for years now. I wouldn't put anything past them.

They've been bashing us for 20 years now

Print media has less relevance then ever and by 2022 it will not exist.

thorson1987

Coach
Pretty good article by nospam49.

http://www.nospam49.com/will-broadcasting-rights-negotiations-affect-the-medias-opinions-about-the-nrl-8196/

Will Broadcasting Rights Negotiations Affect The Media’s Opinions About The NRL?
Aug 19, 2015 nospam49 National Rugby League 0

Who makes up your mind about whether the NRL is doing a good job of running the game? You’re probably a stubborn person that right now is thinking “I do nospam49! No one else is going to make my decisions for me!”.

Think about it though, where do you get your information from to come to the decision you make about the NRL’s competence to run a sporting competition/entertainment company? Do you actively research everything the NRL does behind the scenes? Do you study their business model and compare it to other businesses of a similar size, with similar pressures, and rate their outcomes against one another? Do you have some inside information? Do you just guess?

For the vast majority of people, they are guided by the mainstream media.

If enough people in the media are saying the NRL is doing a terrible job at running things, most people will believe them. It doesn’t matter where that message comes from, it doesn’t even matter if there is a possible motive behind it. If enough people in the media push an agenda, it gains traction with the general public, and from there, an opinion can become gospel that is very, very difficult to disprove.

The easiest example to bring up of this phenomenon is when you see NRL clubs who are up in arms about the supposed lack of funding they receive from the NRL. According to many NRL clubs, the NRL just doesn’t give them enough money. This leave clubs in a poor financial situation, and they just can not continue along this path unless something is done urgently.

Of course, it has nothing to do with the manner in which these clubs are run. The people running clubs into the ground financially can’t be at fault! Sure, a very large portion of clubs across the league have been caught systematically undermining the salary cap rules that needed to be put in place so that they didn’t spend beyond their means, but thats beside the point! Yes, the NRL itself has had to step in and completely take over a number of clubs while at the same time providing loans and administrative assistance to others…but that isn’t the clubs fault. Right? Right?

Still, if enough of these poorly run NRL clubs cry about not getting enough money from the NRL…that is what people start to believe. It doesn’t matter if it is true or not.

As the broadcasting rights for the NRL descend into a standoff between the NRL and Pay TV subscription service Foxtel, I can’t help but think we will see a campaign run against the NRL in an effort to pressure its administration.

Foxtel, which is a company partly owned by Telstra and News Corp, find themselves in a bit of a tough situation right now when it comes to the NRL broadcasting rights.

Channel 9 secured the Free Top Air TV rights as well as the digital streaming rights. Both of these moves have undermined Foxtel’s position as a pay television service. Both of these moves are a direct attack on their business model.

Make no mistake, Foxtel NEEDS Rugby League. Without Rugby League Foxtel loses its highest rating programs, it loses its number one selling point to a handful of the biggest media markets in Australia, and it allows the possibility that a rival service can use the sport to establish a foothold and further undermine Foxtel’s business over the long term.

By making a deal with Channel 9 well ahead of the deadline to wrap up the broadcasting rights, the NRL has put Foxtel in a really bad position. The NRL administration knows the situation, and they are in no rush to run in and sign a deal with a broadcaster that desperately needs their content. They are willing to let Foxtel sweat a little, and for the pressure to build. Foxtel simply can not afford to lose Rugby League. Its HAS to carry Rugby League. It is now just a matter of the NRL getting the right amount of money out of Foxtel and on the right terms.

Now, if I ran a business and I was put in the situation Foxtel is in right now, I would be furious! The NRL made an aggressive move and now all the pressure is on Foxtel to make a deal.

Ask yourself this…if you ran a business that is so big that it can legitimately be called an industry in its own right, and you were being forced to make a deal by an outside interest that you really didn’t want to make, but needed to make, would everyone around you be able to pick up on the pressure that you were now under to get the deal done?

Lets change tack a little bit…

If your boss was pissed off about a business deal that they were being forced into, and this deal was so big that you knew it would have an affect on everyone at the company you worked at, would your boss need to come up to you and say anything for you to feel the pressure? After all, this deal needs to go through or a lot of people are going to lose their jobs. Could you possibly divorce yourself from that situation? Could you possibly look at both sides of the deal with any level of impartiality? Wouldn’t you just want to see the deal done with the least impact possible on the company you work for?

I can’t believe I’m going to say this, but, journalists are people too. They have no soul, but they are people…

So the NRL had made a very big, very bold move. 5 years ago News Corp owned 50% of the NRL. They held the Pay TV broadcasting rights and Telstra, a part owner of Foxtel, owned the digital streaming rights to NRL games. They held both at a bargain basement price! They even held the right to match any new offer the NRL received from another broadcaster and retain the broadcasting rights automatically until Willie Mason is closing in on being 50 years old.

Now, all of these companies are being held over a barrel by that same NRL they once had so much control over. That same NRL they made so much money out of.

Is it a stretch to suggest that the people working for these companies may allow the pressure to affect the way they report on these broadcasting rights negotiations? If your boss had so much riding on these negotiations, and was in such a tough situation, and you have to write about these negotiations, could you honestly do it impartially? I don’t know if you could!

I’m lucky in that I own this site and everything that goes along with it. I don’t have anyone to answer to. I don’t have a boss. I don’t have advertisers that are concerned about my future capacity to get them eyeballs on their adverts. I don’t have any of these pressures. I can write about anything I like, and there is no pressure to about that is going to influence my opinion on any matter within Rugby League.

So the next time you read an article about the broadcasting rights, think about who is writing it. Think about what pressures they have. Think about who pays their salary. Think about who their boss ultimately is.

I’m not saying you should dismiss anyone’s opinion on the NRL’s capacity to run the sport, or to negotiate a billion dollar broadcasting rights deal. All I’m saying is, consider whose opinions you take on board as your own. Look at the entire situation and decide for yourself about who is getting the job done, and who isn’t.

Everyone loves to pick up a bargain, and everyone hates to find that the price for anything they need has gone up. That is true for you, it is true for me, and its true for men in suits who just earned more money while you were reading this than most people make in an entire year.

elbusto

Coach
They've been bashing us for 20 years now

Print media has less relevance then ever and by 2022 it will not exist.

I agree. My point is they will overdo it. I am not sure that will hurt us in the long run. League is such a great game childish heckling by biased journalists may be an advantage

THE CHAMP

First Grade
maybe netflix has no interest in sport? maybe netflix doesn't feel the need to compete with sport because it's already making a killing and slowly becoming the dominant player in tv/movie/doco markets?

you want netflix to take over sport because you don't like foxtel/sport tribalism etc. fine, i get that, but you're not really outlining why netflix needs to put in a bid for sport. they don't. they can continue to monopolize their market and earn billions before they need to even give a second thought to spending hundreds of millions on a sport that only one country and really, one coast of that country, cares about.

Attendances for nrl games in Perth destroy your posts relevance