What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newton, Knights in talks over return

strewth_mate

Bench
But everyone's forgetting one thing. He's an utter bastard.

Too bad Clint. He talks about loyalty -

Arse Bandit said:
Loyalty is what got me to Melbourne. I played under Craig Bellamy in the Country side and obviously he saw something in me that the other bloke [Smith] didn't, and that's all you're after as a player

- but it was loyalty to a coach that wasn't his. In fact, it wasn't loyalty at all, it was wanting to go to the place that'd stroke his ego better. His time at Melbourne was never a certainty to be a particularly long one, and at the time he seemed happy to go for a quick fix. But Bellamy feels no loyalty towards Newton. Smith clearly doesn't either. He has to go cap in hand to our CEO to get anywhere which is just childish.

Now, it's true that he doesn't have to play where he doesn't want to, because he's a professional sportsman, essentially a mercenary. But I wouldn't imagine his teammates at the Knights would welcome him back too easily because he gave them the biggest shafting - they should feel no loyalty to someone who jumped ship when they were struggling and went for personal glory. He was within his rights, perhaps, but that doesn't excuse him, and I personally would not want him anywhere near my team even if this was park football.

"I'm becoming fairly frustrated at the situation," Newton said of not knowing where he would be playing next year. "I would like to know what my future holds. I don't have an option anywhere [in the NRL] as it stands now."

He had an option at Newcastle. He seemed well liked by the fans and respected by the community. But what seemed at first to be a particularly thin skin concerning an honest appraisal from his coach turned into a pretty nasty streak when he dragged the club through the dirt. He can't be so stupid to think that wouldn't affect his options.

He is personally responsible for his situation. And I don't think he'd be capable of any kind of humility to admit that he made a mistake at Newcastle. If he gets a gig somewhere else, then he'd have to start basically at the bottom and that probably scares him. But too bad, Clint.

Is he upset that the Storm aren't falling over themselves to sign him up now?

strewth_mate

Bench
In some ways he makes Lyon look pretty good actually. At least Judas just disappeared into the bush and kept his mouth largely shut ;-)

jamesgould

Juniors
All the comments about the Storm desperately trying to get money together to sign him would tend to indicate they are falling over themselves to sign him?

You have to hand it to him, he was playing really really well in the back end of this year. He'd be an asset if we brought him back (and he continued his Storm form, which was a fair bit different from his Knights form of 2006 and 2007).

All that said, there's just no way in hell I want him to come back, that's all.

keeney

First Grade
What is an email address at the Knights I can fire off a strongly worded letter to?

Misanthrope

Staff member
I will boo the bastard with every ounce of me. He stabbed us in the back, and I won't forgive him just because he's pulled on the red and blue again. I'd sooner cheer star fullback, Adolf 'Kill the Jews' Hitler as a Newie player.

Serc

First Grade
Ummm wow, surely this won't happen?

It will certainly will be a wierd feeling supporting my team and at the same time jeering one of its players if the dog comes back...

otori

Juniors
Screw Newton. I don't want him in the Knights side because Paterson is a better prospect at second rower.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
otori said:
Screw Newton. I don't want him in the Knights side because Paterson is a better prospect at second rower.

Plus paterson doesn't have feet for hands and can actually promote the ball without constantly knocking it on!

bluesbreaker

Bench
This f**kin better just be a beat up. I can't abide by Newton the dog coming back. That and if we ever signed Brett Kimmorley. They're close to an alliegance changing event.

LESStar58

Referee
aqua_duck said:
I don't think any knights fan would welcome back judas, I know I certainly wouldn't, and there's no way on earth brian smith would have him back. I thibnk the club is being diplomatic, but really we should take a stand against judas and one arm jack tell them to get effed

Are they actually in talks to have him back? I was under the impression that Newton is commited to staying in Melbourne and won't go to any other NRL club. England will be his destination if Storm don't offer him a suitable contract.

As much as I have loved watching Clint play for my team in the back end of 2007 I can't exactly see him welcomed back to the Knights with open arms by, not only the fans, but by a lot of the players. I understand Clint came in for some incredibly heavy and personal sledging when the Storm played the Knights at Olympic Park in his first encounter with his old club after the mid-season switch.

parra pete

Referee
Rusty said:
I wonder if Smith knows anything about this with him being on annual leave and all.

Brian , on Talkin Sport a couple of weeks ago spoke about Newton
When asked by Graham Hughes if the Knights would consider having him back he replied enthusiastically.... "Oh Yeah"