What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newtown scrap Jim Beam

Willow

Assistant Moderator
The Board of the Newtown Rugby League Football Club has announced that the club will not be fielding a team in the 2007 NSWRL Jim Beam Cup competition.

This decision has been made following a thorough review of the club's internal structure and scope of operations, and is done with the intention of making the most efficient usage of the club's financial and logistical resources.

The Newtown RLFC will be concentrating its efforts on participating in the NSWRL VB Premier League competition as part of the club's successful and continuing partnership with the Sydney Roosters RLFC.

The Newtown club's 2007 season will commence in February with trial matches against North Sydney, Balmain and Parramatta.

http://www.leagueunlimited.com/article.asp?ID=12546

D

Deleted member 10972

What happens to all the Jim Beam players then? There was plenty of talent in the team. Rimini Riweti, Ritchie Parker, Charlie Herekotukutuku, David Vial, Ed Leuluai, etc.

Jeffles

Bench
JBC players can try ou for next year or they will have to move on. Very unfortunate. As for the Spacemen, they're just one country team.

Indeed sad news that there will be no JBC for next season. Guess even after the article on the front page of the Glebe, the people and business' of the Inner West didn't care enough to put their hand in the pocket to let out the Jets.
Hopefully it's only for one season and the Beam Boys will be back the following season.

The Preacher

First Grade
It will be interesting to see what happens after the premmier league get's the flick at the end of '07.
Are Newtown looking to field a side in the national U/20's comp ??
Will they return to JBC in '08 ?? :?

Jeffles

Bench
I think the idea of the Under 20s comp is that there is no outsourcing and that all teams are NRL based.

Big-Steve

Juniors
The Preacher said:
It will be interesting to see what happens after the premmier league get's the flick at the end of '07.
Are Newtown looking to field a side in the national U/20's comp ??
Will they return to JBC in '08 ?? :?
The latest I've heard is that this is unlikly to go ahead.

Too much opposition - NSWRL QRL CRL Broncos etc.

But I guess we'll see.

2 True Blues

Coach
Said it already before in other threads, Knew it was gonna happen, not happy about it at farkin all !!!!

Where is the depth going to come from now ????

2 True Blues

Coach
The Mack said:
What happens to all the Jim Beam players then? There was plenty of talent in the team. Rimini Riweti, Ritchie Parker, Charlie Herekotukutuku, David Vial, Ed Leuluai, etc.

Bloody tragic mate !!!!:crazy: :sarcasm: :crazy:

bluebag43

Juniors
I wonder if the Club can arrange some Junior Jets games prior to the Premier League games. This would help drag in some extra spectators, buying food and drinks etc. Although I know this is apparently not easy to arrange with South Juniors.

Maybe sometime during the season perhaps before we play Cronulla, my Engadine Dragons U9 side can play the Junior Jets U9 in an exhibition match.

There is a link with Newtown and Engadine Dragons with many Engadine players having played for Newtown, Scott Fleming, Scott Vitelli, Mark Noakes, Simon Parsons, Dave Howlett to name a few.

testeagles

Juniors
find it funny that they have said they are scrapping the jim beam because of lack of money. wondering how many of the premier league players are actually paid from newtown? as it seems the large percentage are signed to the roosters full time, therefore u would think there should be plenty of money to afford a jim beam cup team?

Jeffles

Bench
I don't find it funny at all. If you are suggesting it was cut because of something else you are sadly mistaken. Newtown will be paying for and/or signing a lot more PL players in 2007 than in 2006 and players themselves don't make up the majoriy of your budget. Staff and other resources take up a huge chunk.

2 True Blues

Coach
Jeffles said:
I don't find it funny at all. If you are suggesting it was cut because of something else you are sadly mistaken. Newtown will be paying for and/or signing a lot more PL players in 2007 than in 2006 and players themselves don't make up the majoriy of your budget. Staff and other resources take up a huge chunk.

been trying to find out who they are for sometime jeffles, can you enlighten us with some names perhaps there cobber ???

2 True Blues

Coach
I think Newtown management are saving some money with the expectation of returning to Beam Cup after acheiving this goal by an absence in 2007. Then returning even bigger and stronger, by utilising the advantagious link with prem/league Roosters while it's currently available !!.

Hope I am right and they are back some season soon, however where will those always needed replacements come from for the prem/league team when players make the step up to firsts. ??? We have relied on them EVERY season that we have been a " COMPETABLE " Prem/league side, and NOW they are NO LONGER there to call on. TROUBLES perhaps for 2007 if the Roosters 1st grade have the injury and suspension problems that they so regularly had in 2006, again in the upcoming season.

A top 4th place may be a problem without any depth in 2007, as depth has been a noticable winning KEY in the last few seasons when star players were absent !!! Now it may come down to a roll of the dice with what 1st grade Rooster injuries occur, as I believe they will look after their Jersey flegg boys first, if crunch comes down to crunch !!! We will see though hey ???