What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next Captain

mameimo

Juniors
Hey guys, i know this is a long way away, but who do you think will take over Hornby's captaincy when he retires. Most likely Ben Creagh, and do you think in the near future that Soward could ever be handed the captaincy role of the Dragons.

intercept

Juniors
Hey guys, i know this is a long way away, but who do you think will take over Hornby's captaincy when he retires. Most likely Ben Creagh, and do you think in the near future that Soward could ever be handed the captaincy role of the Dragons.
Yeah, definitely. :D

big_dell

Juniors

not sure if it would be good for his game

plus not sure how he would go because if hornby wasnt with him when he did the fly kick he could have got himself in some trouble the way he was talking to the refs

big_dell

Juniors
Creagh, young will be gone when hornby is plus young is rubbish anyways

what is your problem with young

he might not be the flashiest player but he is in top 10 for tackles this season i think and he is the one who psyches all the boys up. He would step straight in to the captains role and you wouldn't think he isn't a regular if hornby got injured, and get off dean youngs back.

watatank

Coach
i was in favour of creagh for this year and would be for next captain but soward would be a worthy candidate down the track

Dragon Dave

Bench
I don't think Wayne will ever hand Jamie the captaincy. He does not have the personality.

Jamie plays his best football when he concentrates on his own game as we have seen this year. I don't think he is a leader.

I say Dean Young.

big_dell

Juniors
as OurRedV said hornby is a long way from retirement and we can't be sure of who will be here

if hornby were to get injured this or next year my candidates in order of preference would be:

Dean Young
Matt Cooper
Jeremy Smith
Ben Creagh

Mr Red

First Grade
i would pick jeremy smith as next captain however in saying that he will probably retire around the same time as hornby so not really a viable long term option. dean young in the same boat there...
i honestly dont think our next long term captain is in the team at the moment.. i see someone new coming along in the next three seasons that will fill that role. the rest of the team are more "do-ers" rather then "leaders"... guys like soward and creagh let their footy do the talking and arent natural leaders..

watatank

Coach
That's the kind of captain Bennett loves though, those players that lead from the front and let their football do the talking.

It's worth noting Dean Young is 26 this year and it seems as though he's here long term. You'd think he'd be next in line. Also that he works well as vice captain as he's much more of a talker than Hornby is. Young works well with Hornby as he's much more of a talker.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
lets see...

to be captain, you must have the following characteristics:

• leadership
  • be able to stand out from the crowd
  • have a certain amount of flair
  • be able to speak to the juniors and get them fired up
  • have an air of authority.
with those characteristics in mind, i have the perfect candidate:

wiggle_narrowweb__300x307,0.jpg

RedV6

Juniors
I reckon it will be someone we dont know about yet who is coming through the ranks or we havent bought. Not sure what position he plays but he is a born leader

Goldthorpe

Bench
I think you can’t go past Dean Young. In my opinion he should have been captain for the 2009 season.

- He is currently 25 years of age. Perfect age to lead St George Illawarra for another 7 or so seasons [providing he stays fit - So far so good]
- Young is one of the most vocal players in the team. Continually geeing up his team mates, he is the first bloke to pat his mate on the back whether it was a mistake or it was a positive play.
- Dean Young is very good with the media, handles himself very well.
- Is one of the most winningest players in the club [Win ratio of 59.7%, behind Jeremy Smith 78.7% [too old], Wendell Sailor 67.0% [too old], Brett Morris 65.5% [very seldom you see a Winger as captain]
- His Dad captained St George in past and has the pedigree to lead from the front.
- Deano has played his whole 139 games with the club and will more than likely play out his career with the Dragons.

Imagine the marketing material St George Illawarra could use if captain Dean Young holds up the NRL trophy in 2009 just like his Dad did 30 years before.

There is no way I am saying that we should give him the captaincy just because his Dad was captain of St George but I believe he has the right attributes to become a long serving captain of the club.

petetheileet

First Grade
My opinion on Young

Decent footballer who wears his heart on his sleeve and bleeds red and white, has a fantastic attitude and would never give up.

In years gone by these qualities have stood out greatly because the team has lacked leadership from its coach, and with overpaid nuffies like Ryles and Gaz, Youngs fantastic attitude stood out and was impressive.

Now all the players in the club share the same attitude with Wayne at the Helm.

IMO opinion Young would struggle to be in the top 17 at quite a few NRL clubs

He has no real position....

These days a 9 needs to have quick feet and a sharp passing game, Young Posesses neither

As a back rower, you also need to have some pace to run into holes or at least be able to bend the line back, Young cant do this either.

I know it is a bit of a hard luck story with his knee and such and his old man is a legend at the club but this is a proffessional sport, its tough and i dont think he is the best option anywhere in our team

im sorry if it hurts, but hey thats my opinion

Firey_Dragon

Coach
i would pick jeremy smith as next captain however in saying that he will probably retire around the same time as hornby so not really a viable long term option. dean young in the same boat there...
i honestly dont think our next long term captain is in the team at the moment.. i see someone new coming along in the next three seasons that will fill that role. the rest of the team are more "do-ers" rather then "leaders"... guys like soward and creagh let their footy do the talking and arent natural leaders..
I thought that previous to this year, but IMO both of them this year have shown they could be leaders. Hornby will be our captain for at least another 2-3 years, so it really is irrelevant at this point until we see the progression of some of our younger players. Who would have thought 5 years ago Hornby was captain material? He had plenty of talent and respect of the players, but he was always a quiet bloke, he never struck me as an immediate pick for captain.

As for Young, he's one bloke that strikes me as not being captain material. Has an incredible amount of passion and can inspire those around him, but I also worry that he can be a bit of a hot-head which can turn a ref against you in a match.