What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd 3 2024: Parra v Manly GAME DAY thread @ Commbank Stadium March 24th

Pazza

First Grade
I see some old farts are whinging about the Turbo no try. For some reason if it is on the half way line and not on the 20m line, that makes it outrageous. DCE said it was a no try, even hater Brandy on Fox said the same.

If it was reversed and gutho made that break with jurbo obstructed. I reckon all the people like Gus and Joey would have no problem with no try.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I see some old farts are whinging about the Turbo no try. For some reason if it is on the half way line and not on the 20m line, that makes it outrageous. DCE said it was a no try, even hater Brandy on Fox said the same.

Annesley explained it well:

Enamoured Eel

Juniors
Ofahengaue doesn't make a lot of runs, so he is fresh in defence. He only made eight runs in 40 minutes. By comparison, Moretti made six runs in less than half that time, and Paulo made almost a run every two minutes.

Sivo is good enough. He averages 120m+ every year. Penisini and Simonsson both averaged over 130m last year. As you say, Russell is getting there. Regardless of what we do with our outside backs we need to improve our middle defence. Reducing Paulo's minutes seems to have helped. Ofahengaue has enabled this.

Sure but we have better forwards than all those sides, and better halves than most of them. Why would you expect better outside backs as well?

$400k is average salary, and based on last year's form he is an average NRL centre.

I agree on all this aside from the fact that Simonsson isn't on and won't attract a $400k salary. Yes, $400k may be the average but it sure as hell isn't the median.

I do feel for him. He had the inside running for the centre position and was moved, and then injured on the wing. I do believe he is capable in the centres but he may have missed the boat now with Talagi being shown faith.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I agree on all this aside from the fact that Simonsson isn't on and won't attract a $400k salary. Yes, $400k may be the average but it sure as hell isn't the median.

I do feel for him. He had the inside running for the centre position and was moved, and then injured on the wing. I do believe he is capable in the centres but he may have missed the boat now with Talagi being shown faith.
If he’s playing reserve grade he obviously won’t be getting good offers, but last year he was a legitimate top 17 centre and absolutely worth the mean salary.

It’s round four and there’s plenty of time for more injuries. With Moses out I doubt Talagi will be covering the next outside back we lose. He was also worse in defence than Simonsson last week.

Gronk

Staff member
Annesley explained it well:
Gus said on 100% Footy that whoever invented the inside outside shoulder, in the line, not in the line obstruction rules should be taken to Martin Place and publicly stoned. :eek:

[If our GM or anyone else’s GM said that, it would be front page, but Gus seems to be immune to NRL sanctions]

Eelementary

Post Whore
I don't disagree that our edge defence needs work, but for some perspective - we've been missing our best winger, and relying on a back-up in Harper to play centre.

At full strength, with Sivo on the wing (and possibly Simonsson in the centres), all of a sudden, we look much stronger.

Twelve months ago, everyone here was crowing about how good a defensive winger Sivo was, despite his limited pace, and at times, lazy play.

Eelementary

Post Whore

Brandy is usually very harsh on us, and even he said it was a no try - if that doesn't speak volumes...

King-Gutho94

Coach
Gus said on 100% Footy that whoever invented the inside outside shoulder, in the line, not in the line obstruction rules should be taken to Martin Place and publicly stoned. :eek:

[If our GM or anyone else’s GM said that, it would be front page, but Gus seems to be immune to NRL sanctions]
Its the biggest loophole in Rugby League that Gus can use his media role to bag the bunker and the officials constantly and get away with it.

Why would Ciraldo everysay anything he can use his GM to go on his Monday night show and just rip in then.

I think the NRL have lost a bit of backbone though in the past few weeks when it comes to dealing with high profile players/officials speaking when they shouldn't

Letting Latrell off for not only swearing but also coming out saying Spencer should 12 weeks before he went to judiciary and then giving him a cuddle while not sanctioning him.

Has set the bar.

T.S Quint

Coach

If it happened against the Bulldogs I reckon Gus’ tune would change.
“Well, that’s the rule. You can’t go stopping in the line like that.”

It’s one of the clearest examples of an obstruction that you could find, yet for some reason there are still some idiots who don’t like it.

Angry_eel

First Grade

He should also be stoned. I remember he was the biggest proponent of the backwards out of the hands theory which then led to line ball/flat pass. Now we have a 1 metre forward pass per game, sometimes games have also been decided on forward passes like the Cowboys Semi with us.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

Latest posts