What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next Captain

ebbedfred

Bench
Anyone have any ideas on who will take over as captain when Hornby retires? Dean Young I think would have been the obvious choice if he was able to play 5 more years, but since he wont be there I can't think of any obvious replacement. Cooper unlikely to be there for too much longer, and he not much of a talker which you kind of need to stay on par with those clubs who love a whinge to slow the game down.

I know Fien has done it in games Hornby has missed, but I can't see him being there much longer than Hornby and fighting King and Rein for a spot.

If the right person came along, it might be something Doust might use to help lure a key player, by offering big bucks and the captaincy, but at this stage, assuming no one comes externally, who would be the best person?

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
I would pick Soward as captain providing he had a quality organised half back that had a good kicking game ......because I think he would struggle if he had the extra weight of the captaincy as well....

dragondad

First Grade
I've always thought that Ben Creagh is a standout. He is a fantastic role model with a great love for the Club.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
Dont know to be honest...but I would imagine that Hornby Cooper and Young would have a lot of say.....and If they all go together then it doesnt really matter does it....

I doubt they will all go this year, but it probably says something about a players relative standing in relation to captaincy potential at this point. Creagh is currently in the leadership group.

Out of the younger guys, Nightingale and Soward immediately stand out as potential leaders, but they're probably a bit off being in that group.

Mr Red

First Grade
we need to recruit a captain, a real big talker and strong leader - none of the current players after Young and Hornby leave have the skills needed.

Creagh - not a big talker at all
Fein - too old
Soward - just needs to focus on his own game, not worry about the team

out of the current crop of players i believe Cameron King is the only player with natural leadership skills.. but he needs to establish himself in first grade before even thinking captaincy.
i have seen him barking orders in the lower grades and revving up the forwards... natural leader...

but based on what i have seen from Pricey he will give it to Creagh or Soward and add un-needed pressure to their games thus their individual performance will drop...

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
I doubt they will all go this year, but it probably says something about a players relative standing in relation to captaincy potential at this point. Creagh is currently in the leadership group.

Out of the younger guys, Nightingale and Soward immediately stand out as potential leaders, but they're probably a bit off being in that group.
Your probaly right regarding Creagh in the immediate future....and they could look at Soward down the track...as much as i would love to see Florence in there (whom I happen to think is our best week in week out)... cant see a winger getting the job....matter of fact I cant remember at this point a winger ever being skipper can you......

Reyter

Juniors
Ben Creagh or Dan Hunt for 2 years and then one of the younger players, Merrin, De Belin or K. Stanley.

Latest posts