What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next Captain

Father Ted

First Grade
make the trainer the captain, there out there for 80 these days. Or buy Thurstan and fix half and captain in one hit.

FlameThrower

Bench
Soward, he's passionate, gets fired up on the field, talks and controls the boys. is an excllent spaeker in front of the camera too. It's an honour to be captain and surely he would handle it. Failing that, why not try co-captains Soward/Creagh?

Mr Red

First Grade
Soward has been one of our most consistent players for the last 3 years. Only people who are too consumed with the expectation that he needs to run the ball constantly cannot see it.

He is always a 7 or 8 out of ten. His numbers are always consistent.

I don't think he should be captain btw. But it's a flat out lie to say he struggles to get his game in order week in, week out.

stop living in the past - Bennett is gone and so is most of sowards confidence that Bennett used to supply.
its no coincidence that Sowards form has dropped with the departure of Bennett.
its no lie that as of now (not last year or the previous years) Soward is struggling to be consistent week in week out..

Mr Red

First Grade
You're kidding Mr Red... Soward has been one of our best mate. Mature, controlled performances. We'd be 1 from 6 without him.

as opposed to a shaky 3 from 6...
refer to my previous post re: current soward without bennett..
form wise or not... hes not a captain..

a good player doesnt necessarily make a good captain.. people need to understand that...

Last edited:

Mr Red

First Grade
Mr Red, how about a few positive comments? Maybe a little more balance, at least.

get off the drugs and read the all posts..

i said that i believe long term future Cameron King is our best prospect as captain..
a good talker and a smart player and natural leadership skills..
is that not postive enough?
out of the current 17 i dont believe we have anyone with the leadership skills for captaincy.

TheRev

Coach
- Cameron King has played 2 first grade games.. the next captain has to come from current player stock.

- Also, I disagree that Soward has lost form.. its true that he didnt kick well against Cronulla, but before that I thought he looked more mature and precise with his kicks/goal-kicks, more than ever.. I mean its early days but so far so good for mine, its not his fault the team as a whole has lost Gasnier/Boyd & is dropping football galore.

Mr Red

First Grade
- Cameron King has played 2 first grade games.. the next captain has to come from current player stock.

- Also, I disagree that Soward has lost form.. its true that he didnt kick well against Cronulla, but before that I thought he looked more mature and precise with his kicks/goal-kicks, more than ever.. I mean its early days but so far so good for mine, its not his fault the team as a whole has lost Gasnier/Boyd & is dropping football galore.

why does the next captain have to come from current players if there is no one ready for the role?
why cant they sign someone with strong leadership skills and make them captain?
are you saying that hypothetically speaking if they signed cooper cronk or cameron smith they shouldnt have been captain?

220px-Julia_Gillard_2010.jpg

jenninga

First Grade
stop living in the past - Bennett is gone and so is most of sowards confidence that Bennett used to supply.
its no coincidence that Sowards form has dropped with the departure of Bennett.
its no lie that as of now (not last year or the previous years) Soward is struggling to be consistent week in week out..
Soward is playing no better or no worse this season ,Bennett may have improved his game but there are no signs that he misses his influence.As we all know ,we want him to run the ball more often and mix his kicking game a bit,the odd chip which he has done before and ingoal grubbers,he has the talent and should be less predictable.

TheRev

Coach
why does the next captain have to come from current players if there is no one ready for the role?
are you saying that hypothetically speaking if they signed cooper cronk or cameron smith they shouldnt have been captain?

Yep, I think it would be a really dire situation where you need to purchase a captain (as much as id love to jag JT), because you want someone who knows the individual players & what motivates them, who knows the StGeorge club and their culture, and preferably someone who served under Bennett and was there for the 2010 Premiership.

In addition King, even if he has a regular 1st grade spot over Rein, he would need the respect of the senior players, it would have to be 2014 at a minimum for King (best case scenario), and this thread is really aiming at a captain for 2013 (If Hornby kicks on next year, thats a totally different situation, a lot will change between now and then).

Breathingfire

Juniors
It has to be Ben Creagh. He plays for the 80 minutes, he leads by example, he is respected by the playing group and has passion for our club. Anyone who has seem him sing the team song would know this. :D

It is not like Creagh needs to up his talk and direct the team around the park because the halves will do that regardless. We just need someone who leads by example. Nathan Cayless and Andrew Ryan were never big talkers but both were very good captains for their respective sides.

As for Soward, well I think he is a 27 year old MAN and confidence is not an issue. He does not miss Wayne and does not need someone to come and boost his ego in order to play a decent game of football. When he plays a shit game it has nothing to do with Wayne or Wendell or confidence, it is just that he played shit. It's really simple ;-)

He has been one of our better players this year. He may not have had a good night out in Cronulla last week but one thing that seems to be lost on a lot of people, is no one else really played that great either. If the whole squad is performing and Jamie is letting everyone down then fine; bag him. But he always plays as well as the rest of the team. In fact, he wins us more games then he loses. That field goal he kicked against the Tigers in 2010...wow!

64 Dragon

Coach
We are losing our best prospective captain at the end of the season, unfortunately. He probably would have been captain long before now if he had been fit and Hornby wasn't around. We will miss Deano in more ways than one.

Efresh

Coach
It has to be Ben Creagh. He plays for the 80 minutes, he leads by example, he is respected by the playing group and has passion for our club. Anyone who has seem him sing the team song would know this. :D

This. He is smart, tough and puts in all game. And for those who will moan about him not going the knuckle, name me a captain who does. Ok, other than Gallen.

Latest posts