What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next coach sacked 2024

Bazal

Post Whore
I reckon Karenson is stale at the club, rather than a bad coach. As a fan of a club looking for a coach I hope the Roosters sack him.

I don't like the way he presents himself as a coach, and it could be that he's an average coach blessed with the club he landed at, although I don't necessarily think so. But I'd much rather take that chance on him than take a chance on fking Justin Baldbrook or Trent Barrett or whatever other plodder is available

Valheru

Coach
Funny how the Roosters and Robbo don’t come under fire from the media.
The most stacked squad in the comp, and years of failure.
This year, there’s been plenty of talk about the Sharks being overrated/soft draw etc etc, yet they’re 9-3 and have beaten the Roosters. The Roosters on the other hand win some, lose some, have been beaten by the ‘overrated’ Sharks, and now beaten by a completely depleted Cowboys, yet I bet there’s no noise about their form or Robbo’s position. Even taking into account they lost Teddy late, they should have slaughtered the Cows today.
lol the obsession about sacking Robbo from fans of other clubs continues.

It won't happen, it will never happen.

Roosters played shit yesterday, certainly but they were also missing a lot of players, don't pretend they weren't.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Phil Gould summed up the Roosters pretty well yesterday when he said they aren’t a patient team.

You can tell how they’re going to go in the first 10 mins. They aren’t really a team that seems to be able to flick a switch and get back into their groove like other top teams can. In their two shockers this year v the dogs and cows their opposition turned up prepared to play dirty, East’s just wanted to coast to a win.

I do think this comes back to the coach. Bennett, Bellamy and Cleary sides have plenty of first half stinkers, then turn it around at halftime. I haven’t seen this roosters team do that for a while.

Valheru

Coach
Phil Gould summed up the Roosters pretty well yesterday when he said they aren’t a patient team.

You can tell how they’re going to go in the first 10 mins. They aren’t really a team that seems to be able to flick a switch and get back into their groove like other top teams can. In their two shockers this year v the dogs and cows their opposition turned up prepared to play dirty, East’s just wanted to coast to a win.

I do think this comes back to the coach. Bennett, Bellamy and Cleary sides have plenty of first half stinkers, then turn it around at halftime. I haven’t seen this roosters team do that for a while.
Well the roosters did turn it around against the dogs and nearly won with 11 on the field but were just too far behind.

There is legitimate criticism in what you say but yesterday isn't an issue if it remains a one off. We were missing a lot of players too and I don't think the disruption of losing Teddy on the day of the game can be understated.

But yes they need to start winning these closer games and grind out results.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Well the roosters did turn it around against the dogs and nearly won with 11 on the field but were just too far behind.

There is legitimate criticism in what you say but yesterday isn't an issue if it remains a one off. We were missing a lot of players too and I don't think the disruption of losing Teddy on the day of the game can be understated.

But yes they need to start winning these closer games and grind out results.

The Dogs game was such a strange one, best to scrap that on both teams formlines

Yes they were missing players (still had 7 internationals in their startng 13) but from memory the cows were missing more including 2 key spine players and are a team thats lost 20 of their last 25 games in Sydney

Valheru

Coach
The Dogs game was such a strange one, best to scrap that on both teams formlines

Yes they were missing players (still had 7 internationals in their startng 13) but from memory the cows were missing more including 2 key spine players and are a team thats lost 20 of their last 25 games in Sydney
Oh I'm not taking anything away from the cowboys by any means, they deserved their win and we were poor

I don't think it's unreasonable to point out that flat performances do happen and missing so many players can lead to that. Also losing Teddy on the morning of the game was probably the biggest disrupter but it is what it is.

I'm not saying we don't have some issues that need to be addressed as the season goes but had we scraped through yesterday we would have been 4th with a bye in hand on everyone else such is the tightness of the comp. I think our next match will show whether yesterday is indicative of an ongoing issue or just one of those things that happens in a long season.

Bazal

Post Whore

Chieka with a strong assistant like Holbrook would be interesting

Jeez that's an uninspiring list tbh...I agree, I'd probably like to see us give Cheika a go if that's the five. Different sport but he's super experienced.

Maybe see if one of the younger coaches either on the list or being chucked around the media would come over too. Blake Green maybe.

Chimp

Bench
lol the obsession about sacking Robbo from fans of other clubs continues.

It won't happen, it will never happen.

Roosters played shit yesterday, certainly but they were also missing a lot of players, don't pretend they weren't.
For the record, I don’t think he’ll be sacked, and don’t think he should be - there’s nobody better available. What I am saying, is that the media seem to turn a blind eye to how they’re travelling - The Sharks sit joint top of the ladder and have had more negative press about their form (even when on a winning run) than the Roosters, who the Sharks beat.
It just shows the media are scared to death of being perceived to have written anything negative about the Roosters.

Woody90

Juniors

This is one of reasons why I still don’t think the Roosters can win the comp this year despite the hype they’ve been getting (not saying they can’t but at the moment I can’t see it).

They have by far the best and most expensive roster across the park individually no doubt, but a lot of the time they really lack football smarts and game management when it matters. Their roster is fantastic so can absolutely blow sides off the park when the games don’t really matter anymore no doubt, but when the games in the balance they seem to lose their minds. They could have beaten the Sharks but when the game was in the balance they played the worst 10 minutes imaginable and made every error in the book.

I could see them making a run deep into the finals by dominating sides with less expensive rosters, but at the moment I just can’t see them winning the comp if they come up against a side with more composure and football knowledge at the pointy end. Whether that’s a coaching issue or the squad I’m not sure but somethings just not quite right there.

Last edited:

Woody90

Juniors
Blake Green maybe.

As a Knights fan I think the jury’s still out on Green. He’s our attack coach and we’ve gone from having the best attack after the regular season last year to close to the worst this year (yes losing 2 spine players to long-term injuries has hurt but the attack was struggling before they went down).

Wb1234

Immortal
As a Knights fan I think the jury’s still out on Green. He’s our attack coach and we’ve gone from having the best attack after the regular season last year to close to the worst this year (yes losing 2 spine players to long-term injuries has hurt but the attack was struggling before they went down).
Coaches like him should go to super league before being given a chance here

even winning super league is no guarantee of nrl success

Bazal

Post Whore

Yeah but I'm talking as an assistant to Cheika. He may never be a head coach, but I'd like to avoid the situation we got in with BA where we had career assistants who didn't seem to offer much.

Green, Hannay, whoever really. If we're taking a punt on Cheika I'd go for an assistant with some ambition is more where I'm coming from

Wb1234

Immortal
Yeah but I'm talking as an assistant to Cheika. He may never be a head coach, but I'd like to avoid the situation we got in with BA where we had career assistants who didn't seem to offer much.

Green, Hannay, whoever really. If we're taking a punt on Cheika I'd go for an assistant with some ambition is more where I'm coming from
Cheika will be like Wayne Bennett

Bennett isn’t big on game plans just being mates with the players and getting them up for games

he did well with Lebanon in the World Cup and Argentina in union are killing it

Woody90

Juniors

I think Cheika is the best of the targets tbh - just commenting that I’m not sure Green would be the best assistant to help him right at the moment.