What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next Time On An All New TV General Discussion Thread

Matua

Bench
Well I’m like 12 years too late but finally watched ‘The Wire.’ I got told it was like ‘The Shield’ which is probably my fav tv ever. I don’t think they are really similar at all, just cop shows on at the same time (2002-08) but yes it lived up to the hype.
10/10
Wow. I find it completely weird anyone would say The Shield and The Wire are similar.

I've always felt Breaking Bad was like The Shield and this os one of the reasons I don't drink the Breaking Bad kool aid (good show but doesn't even nudge my top 20). The Shield did the hyper accelerated race to the conclusion before BB and better IMHO.

Oh, The Wire tops my Top 20.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Wow. I find it completely weird anyone would say The Shield and The Wire are similar.

I've always felt Breaking Bad was like The Shield and this os one of the reasons I don't drink the Breaking Bad kool aid (good show but doesn't even nudge my top 20). The Shield did the hyper accelerated race to the conclusion before BB and better IMHO.

Oh, The Wire tops my Top 20.

Gotta be one of the best scenes in tv history

soc123_au

Staff member
I just started on The Wire based on the comments in here. I'd heard of it, but never watched it. I just finished season 2. I'm impressed, it's a quality show. Omar is now one of my favourite characters ever. I'll watch a few more eps tonight.

Vic Mackey

Referee
I just started on The Wire based on the comments in here. I'd heard of it, but never watched it. I just finished season 2. I'm impressed, it's a quality show. Omar is now one of my favourite characters ever. I'll watch a few more eps tonight.

First 3 seasons were good, but season 4 becomes an art form

soc123_au

Staff member
I was a little bit disappointed Omar finished up the way he did. But I guess going out so meekly probably worked in the context of the show as a whole.

Parra

Referee

Top comment on this one is great.

1 horn blow - brothers of the Night Watch coming
2 horn blows - wildlings coming
3 horn blows - White Walkers coming
4 horn blows - Omar coming

Vic Mackey

Referee
I was a little bit disappointed Omar finished up the way he did. But I guess going out so meekly probably worked in the context of the show as a whole.

Agree, it shocked me when it happened, I kept thinking 'surely theres some twist here and he isnt dead.' Howeevr as you say the show was never going to be one for a Happy Hollywood ending. I thought they nailed the ending. Its always difficult for a show to end but every individual finished how youd expect. Not really happy or sad endings, just what would really happen to them. Duquans shooting up heroin in the alley hit me.

soc123_au

Staff member
Duquans shooting up heroin in the alley hit me.
Very much so. The whole storyline of the 4 boys hit me hard. The tragedy is that it's not far removed from reality over there. We joke a lot about the stereotypical shittier parts of our capital cities in Australia, but I dont think we have anything close to the despair that some of the Black communities over there are faced with.

Apey

Staff member
Can anyone besides Matua recommend The Americans to me? It's got an underrated tag on it but don't know anyone who has watched it.

azzah72

Bench
Haha nothing personal, just I think you're the only one who has mentioned it and am seeking additional opinions before I commit.

I can confirm the Americans is great.

When it's at its best, it's some of the best tv you will watch.

Highly recommended.

Latest posts