What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next TV deal discussion 2028 -

Steel Saints

Juniors
Afl model is not built on regional representation. Too small crowds, not enough corporate funding and doesn’t generate metro tv Money.
They didnt really want to go to tassie as it’s too small but the govt has now given them little option. That will mean they will have to have a team 20 at some point. If canberra govt puts its hand in its pocket it could be there or more likely it will be perth 3 in years to come or if they feel there is long term value in nz I wouldn’t put it pastr them to use some of their new found riches to bankroll a club there. The other option is they close down suns and go back to 18 but seems unlikely.

hopefully nrl has learnt that to get big $’s one of the things you need is strong reach into the 5 metro markets. That should make perth a certainty for club 18 and some serious ground work and investment in Adelaide to get it ready for a few years time.

Well the WA govt. could learn something from their Tasmainan counterparts. The WA govt. need to get involved in some way shape or form. For example, finish off the upgrade of HBF Park

If WA/Perth want an NRL team, they will get one. It's up to you guys in Perth. We want expansion to occur due to supply and demand, not dots on the map.

As for Adelaide, instead of the SA Premier slagging off the NRL, why don't they follow the lead from the Tassie govt. The more exposure a city gets through sport, or NRL in this case, the better off they will be.

Wb1234

Referee
Well the WA govt. could learn something from their Tasmainan counterparts. The WA govt. need to get involved in some way shape or form. For example, finish off the upgrade of HBF Park

If WA/Perth want an NRL team, they will get one. It's up to you guys in Perth. We want expansion to occur due to supply and demand, not dots on the map.

As for Adelaide, instead of the SA Premier slagging off the NRL, why don't they follow the lead from the Tassie govt. The more exposure a city gets through sport, or NRL in this case, the better off they will be.
Tasmania get a new 750 milllion stadium and 12 million a year funding from the state govt to help the team

Perth nrl team gets a vague promise to upgrade an average ground

RL owes Perth after what it did to the Reds in 1997. V'landys' comments about "rusted on AFL states" invited a sarcastic response.

Colk

First Grade

1. Aren’t they already upgrading the stadium? I think they have evidently shown they are pretty keen throughout the whole process. For example they wouldn’t be buying NRL double headers, Origins or very publicly announcing support for a bid if they weren’t interested.

2. I thought the SA premier criticised the attendances of NRL games in Sydney as a way to argue that people in Adelaide support sporting teams whereas people in Sydney don’t. I don’t remember any specific criticism of the game itself in his comments but more towards the support of the game in Sydney (which based on some of the attendances he might have some argument)

Steel Saints

Juniors
RL owes Perth after what it did to the Reds in 1997. V'landys' comments about "rusted on AFL states" invited a sarcastic response.
But PVL is still in a position to bring in Perth as the 18th club and all is forgotten. The question is what type of Perth club are we looking at? Perth Reds, West Coast Pirates, WA Bears, WA Quokkas, WA PVL's whatever.

For it to work, WA govt. needs to get involved. Another sports team in a different top flight sport will bring more exposure, branding to the city/ state. It takes two to tango.

It's up to Perth if they want a team, and for the NRL to be open minded to a challenge.

Wb1234

Referee
1. Aren’t they already upgrading the stadium? I think they have evidently shown they are pretty keen throughout the whole process. For example they wouldn’t be buying NRL double headers, Origins or very publicly announcing support for a bid if they weren’t interested.

2. I thought the SA premier criticised the attendances of NRL games in Sydney as a way to argue that people in Adelaide support sporting teams whereas people in Sydney don’t. I don’t remember any specific criticism of the game itself in his comments but more towards the support of the game in Sydney (which based on some of the attendances he might have some argument)
New floodlights

Didn't the AFL play a game in Wellington once?
Lol was a disaster.
first yr they got an ok crowd..lol gave away plenty of tickets.
2nd year ..lol
poor crowd.

was consigned to the failure bin ..( PR probably cried) .
my fave quote about this was from a councilman in Wellington .

"There is more interest in cycleways to nowhere in Island Bay than in AFL."
😂😂😂😂

Steel Saints

Juniors

1. To be fair to them, the WA govt. is putting a bid team together for Perth to become the 18th club.HBF Park is getting upgraded for the womens world cup.

2. I gave the SA Premier too much credit. He probably confused the NRL for Super Rugby.

Lol was a disaster.
first yr they got an ok crowd..lol gave away plenty of tickets.
2nd year ..lol
poor crowd.

was consigned to the failure bin ..( PR probably cried) .
my fave quote about this was from a councilman in Wellington .

"There is more interest in cycleways to nowhere in Island Bay than in AFL."
😂😂😂😂
You talk more about fumbleball than any other sport.

The_Wookie

Bench
Tasmania get a new 750 milllion stadium and 12 million a year funding from the state govt to help the team

Perth nrl team gets a vague promise to upgrade an average ground

Its a 20k capacity venue that has had numerous upgrades, including a 32m upgrade underway at the moment, and a 71m upgrade to the venue that was completed in 2013.

Perth Red

Post Whore

lol have you been under a rock and missed the wa govt’s publicly stated support for a perth nrl club? we aren’t tassie though desperate for a professional sports club, we already have one in every single sport, except the myopic insular one!

Its a 20k capacity venue that has had numerous upgrades, including a 32m upgrade underway at the moment, and a 71m upgrade to the venue that was completed in 2013.
@Wb1234 derides Perth Oval, yet he's happy with Manly, Canterbury, Wests, Cronulla and Dragons playing out of dilapidated parks that aren't fully seated. He reckons NRL is financially sound because it gives all of its clubs an annual grant of 130% of the salary cap to stay afloat, yet he says AFL is in crisis because it gives more money to its weaker clubs and less to its strongest ones.

The saddest thing is there's Sydney RL fans on here who buy into his shit.

No that

would be WB. He literally can’t join a thread without mentioning them Every other post!
@Wb1234 is obsessed with fumbleball to the point he ignores reality. He cannot swallow his pride and admit that the Melbourne-based AFL has out-manoeuvred the Sydney-based NRL over the last 40 years and is winning the WA by a landslide. V'landys is just as obsessed. It's why he loves V'landys do much.

Latest posts