What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next TV deal discussion 2028 -

Perth Red

Post Whore
I posted the AFR story which said $54 m p/a reduction for the FINAL years , ending in 2022 for the AFL But you show your arrogance by announcing the reporter was incorrect and having said so yourself now claim this is the truth.

The AFL has agreed to a roughly 13 per cent discount of its rights fee of $415 million per season under the current agreement which was set to end at the end of the 2022. That means the sport will take just under a $54 million per year discount on its broadcast rights fees or a little over $160 million until the end of 2022.
you’re wrong As usual, as is the afr report.
The afl took a $114mill reduction over 3 years 20-22.

how do we know? Because the increased deal in 23&24 is clawing back ALL of the covid reduction, and That deal is worth an extra $114mill to bring the overall avg over the 7 years back to the original $416mill a year aVg as was reported. Also the media revenue announced in their 2022 annual report is in line with that and does not represent any where near a $54mill reduction.

I appreciate this is probably too complicated for you to understand lol

colly

Juniors
Yes you l

how do we know? Because the increased deal in 23&24 is clawing back ALL of the covid reduction, and That deal is worth an extra $114mill to bring the overall avg over the 7 years back to the original $416mill a year aVg as was reported. Also the media revenue announced in their 2022 annual report is in line with that and does not represent any where near a $54mill reduction.

Yes, you lost me on "the claw back" where the 2017-2022 deal was made right by the 2023-2024 AFL media deal. How does that go again.. How does that in any way negate the narrative that the AFL gave media companies $54 m p/a up too 2022 when that dreaded virus interrupted all sporting seasons. It looks like Vlandy scored a deal from Foxtel north of $250m yearly announced dec 2021 which easyly beat the AFL deal of only $200 p/a. Plus we got more $$$ paid by Foxtel for Redcliffe Dolfins.. Just as the headline numbers on the accounts have the NRl winning the media rights deal, YOU WILL NEVER $EXCEPT WE WON>

The_Wookie

Bench
Yes you l

Yes, you lost me on "the claw back" where the 2017-2022 deal was made right by the 2023-2024 AFL media deal. How does that go again.. How does that in any way negate the narrative that the AFL gave media companies $54 m p/a up too 2022 when that dreaded virus interrupted all sporting seasons. It looks like Vlandy scored a deal from Foxtel north of $250m yearly announced dec 2021 which easyly beat the AFL deal of only $200 p/a. Plus we got more $$$ paid by Foxtel for Redcliffe Dolfins.. Just as the headline numbers on the accounts have the NRl winning the media rights deal, YOU WILL NEVER $EXCEPT WE WON>

You both make a lot of assumptions. Ive been caught in that trap too - almost anyone in this discussion has at times, except maybe @docbrown

Media have been unreliable because the data coming from both the AFL and NRL has been vague at times. And that includes the AFR.

Foxtel amounts are guesswork by all parties because neither the AFL nor the NRL have released a specific figure for Fox. We do not know the value of the Telstra component for the AFL.

The only certainties we have are the FTA network releases to the ASX, the "more than 400m pa" over 5 years from abdo, and "north of 4bn in cash, 4.5bn total" over 7 years from Mclachlan.

The whole "NRL only announces a cash component" is rubbish as far as I can tell. This is the first time Ive ever heard of that being the case.

The Dolphins contribution was announced prior to the media rights announcement. It seems likely but not certain it was part of it and not an added bonus to the new deal.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yes you l

When the 23/24 extension was announced it was announced at $473mill a year and also announced that this would bring the avg of the tv deal back up to $416mill avg that was announced for the 2017-22 deal. For that to be the case the difference between $416 and $473 x the 2 years is $114mill and that must be the covid reduction amount or else the avg wouldn’t have come back up to $416mill over the 7 years.

Perth Red

Post Whore
You both make a lot of assumptions. Ive been caught in that trap too - almost anyone in this discussion has at times, except maybe @docbrown

Media have been unreliable because the data coming from both the AFL and NRL has been vague at times. And that includes the AFR.

Foxtel amounts are guesswork by all parties because neither the AFL nor the NRL have released a specific figure for Fox. We do not know the value of the Telstra component for the AFL.

The only certainties we have are the FTA network releases to the ASX, the "more than 400m pa" over 5 years from abdo, and "north of 4bn in cash, 4.5bn total" over 7 years from Mclachlan.

The whole "NRL only announces a cash component" is rubbish as far as I can tell. This is the first time Ive ever heard of that being the case.

The Dolphins contribution was announced prior to the media rights announcement. It seems likely but not certain it was part of it and not an added bonus to the new deal.
For nrl the skynz amount was also reported at $160mill over 5 years ie $32mill a year.
We know ch9 is $130mill.
That leaves fox in the region of$240mill UNLESS THE NRL decided to massively understate the tv deal.
But given Vlandys subsequent interviews and no good logical reason why they’d want to make themselves look worse than they are, that would seem highly unlikely.

if the fox deal had been worth any more than previous deal Vlandys wouldn’t have tried to justify it by the now infamous “catching a cold” justification. he would have just stated that the deal was better than last time at left it at that.

colly

Juniors
I

I would have given you a like but that function is denied me, also I must say a came across your story

Wb1234

Referee

That’s exactly what baseline panther was saying the afl did

Hahahajajas

Iamback

Coach

Re the cash component part for NRL.

Channel 9 was announced as a $575m deal over 5 years, They then announced the contra of $15m later in the release.

So on the part we know of the deal it was announced as cash

Colk

First Grade
f**k Monday night football.

People have life's, 5 days a week all year around is to much imo.

Sunday 600pm or early 2pm sunday.

They are obviously following the lead of overseas competitions. The problem is that Rugby League unlike something like baseball, basketball or soccer can’t be played by players five or six nights a week. Way too physically taxing

BlueandGold

Juniors
They are obviously following the lead of overseas competitions. The problem is that Rugby League unlike something like baseball, basketball or soccer can’t be played by players five or six nights a week. Way too physically taxing

Yeah good point, RLPA will not accept that.

Safe to say Monday night Football is a no go.

Colk

First Grade
Yeah good point, RLPA will not accept that.

Safe to say Monday night Football is a no go.

Yeah you’d either have to have Monday Night or Thursday Night. You can’t have both. It would be nearly impossible to schedule.

Also do people forget that when it was in, nearly every team that played on Monday would lose/get smashed the following week.

Colk

First Grade
A team plays Monday night and they can't play Thurs or Friday night the next week.
You'd end up with the same teams in that timeslot

Exactly. Dare I say it (it’s not my favourite word) you would have to have conferences