What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next TV deal discussion 2028 -

colly

Juniors
Yo
AFL $396mill - Telstra $50mill = $346 mill
NRL $409 mill - at least $72mill other (waging, digital, merch) $337mill (this is assuming $20mill digital revenue from nrl.com is still in there, and if it isnt where the hell is it?)

Thats tv and radio revenue only for both codes according to your logic.

AFL had a note in financials that media revenue increased $29mill. Maybe AFR is incorrect and the 2022 discount was not as great as the 20&21 years? Would make sense given the announcement that the extra $114mill for 23/24 was going to cover all the covid period reductions.

But like WB keeps posting we're wandering in the dark largely
Your half way their but you got lost....
First, the NRL digal/Website roughly took 20/25 million to start and maintain, as Grant himself said. Now if have to out Tech It services reporters leaders, it's easy to a yearly 20 million outlay, time rolls on a decision was made to downsize the costs ( nine TV made a argument about it ) So it's probably running ( i am a member) to around 10-15 million with add revenue of $3.21 m for the year 2022 page 70 Annual report. It would on be a big money spinner if ther streamed exclusive live game content for a monthly fee, like Kayo, so the most you could get for a website would be around $3.21m. The pie in the sky revenues COULD come about but the NRL would have give live exclusive game content, ( like the NFL US ) which they don't. So that gets rid of your baseless $20m revenue from Digital serves ie websites/replays. Goes to show the Telstra running the website would be similar revenue.
The next point would be where is the point about Media revue increased $29m for the AFL, more importantly what and why.
It looks like to me that you deliberately underplay these amounts.. Always give leeway to the AFL and heckle over the amounts of the NRL. The NRL can and have beaten the AFL in this year in the broadcast only column.

To finish the NRL broadcast only revenue was $357m taking out gambling and Merch to AFL $346 broadcast only rev.

colly

Juniors
Yo
AFL $396mill - Telstra $50mill = $346 mill
NRL $409 mill - at least $72mill other (waging, digital, merch) $337mill (this is assuming $20mill digital revenue from nrl.com is still in there, and if it isnt where the hell is it?)

Thats tv and radio revenue only for both codes according to your logic.

AFL had a note in financials that media revenue increased $29mill. Maybe AFR is incorrect and the 2022 discount was not as great as the 20&21 years? Would make sense given the announcement that the extra $114mill for 23/24 was going to cover all the covid period reductions.

But like WB keeps posting we're wandering in the dark largely
First, the NRL digital/Website roughly took 20/25 million to start and maintain, as Grant himself said. Now if have to out Tech It services reporters leaders, it's easy to a yearly 20 million outlay, time rolls on a decision was made to downsize the costs ( nine TV made a argument about it ) So it's probably running ( i am a member) to around 10-15 million with add revenue of $3.21 m for the year 2022 page 70 Annual report. It would on be a big money spinner if there streamed exclusive live game content for a monthly fee, like Kayo, so the most you could get for a website would be around $3.21m. The pie in the sky revenues COULD come about but the NRL would have give live exclusive game content, ( like the NFL US ) which they don't. So that gets rid of your baseless $20m profit from Digital serves ie websites/replays. Goes to show the Telstra running the website would be similar revenue.
The next point would be where is the point about Media revue increased $29m for the AFL, more importantly what and why. What page please and exact wording.
It looks like to me that you deliberately underplay these amounts.. Always give leeway to the AFL and heckle over the amounts of the NRL. The NRL can and have beaten the AFL in this year in the broadcast only column.

To finish the NRL broadcast only revenue was $357m taking out gambling and Merch to AFL $346 broadcast only rev.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yo

First, the NRL digal/Website roughly took 20/25 million to start and maintain, as Grant himself said. Now if have to out Tech It services reporters leaders, it's easy to a yearly 20 million outlay, time rolls on a decision was made to downsize the costs ( nine TV made a argument about it ) So it's probably running ( i am a member) to around 10-15 million with add revenue of $3.21 m for the year 2022 page 70 Annual report. It would on be a big money spinner if ther streamed exclusive live game content for a monthly fee, like Kayo, so the most you could get for a website would be around $3.21m. The pie in the sky revenues COULD come about but the NRL would have give live exclusive game content, ( like the NFL US ) which they don't. So that gets rid of your baseless $20m revenue from Digital serves ie websites/replays. Goes to show the Telstra running the website would be similar revenue.
The next point would be where is the point about Media revue increased $29m for the AFL, more importantly what and why.

The $24mill digital reported in 2018 and 2019 was revenue not expense. There's a note in the financials that they spent $7mill in 2018 and $5million in 2019 on digital infrastructure.
It was in 2018 the big jump in digital revenue happened. From $6.5mil in 2017 to $23.5mill in 2018. This coincides with the change in arrangements with Telstra announced in 2017.

Ive given some possibilities for AFL, the most likely I can see is the AFR journo misread the room and applied a reduction equally over three years when in fact it was varied by year. That just a pure guess but I havent seen any announcement by AFL of new revenue in media for last year so seems quite possible given they reported an increase of $29million in that line and its quite specific wording (see below)

Page 81.
Revenue increased by $206.2 million to $944.4 million. The main areas of revenue which contributed to this movement were:
an increase in Government grant revenue totalling $74.5 million due to the ongoing redevelopment of Marvel Stadium across the 2022 financial year;
an increase in commercial operations revenue totalling $98.6 million, due to full-capacity events being held at Marvel Stadium, the 2022 Finals series returning to Victoria and greater returns from sponsorship;
and an increase in broadcasting and AFL media revenue totalling $29.9 million, largely due to contractual increases in broadcast agreements

The_Wookie

Bench
Lets look at the year 2021 which you yourself supplied , thanx for that, anyway here is the figure

It is $366 pa cash for 'broadcast' from your table... But for the AFL deal for the contract 2017-2022 it was always going to be close to $400m cash made up of Broadcaster Seven and Foxtel and a $50m Tesltra to get to the roughly $400m contract ....6 times $400m = 2.4 billion, notice I've give 19m to keep the calculation easy to understand . So the $366m dollars that AFL reported in 2021 included the Telstra contribution of $50m. So by rights we should take of $50m from the $366m figure to to the real figure for broadcasters only, which would be only $316m for 2021. If we go to next year reported 2022 we have a jump from $366 which always incl Telstra to $396m for the year. Telstra contribution included. Now comes the part when have to discount a know contract $400 pa AFL by the COVID discounts of $54 million yearly. It is the $40 m jump I can't calculate.

its not just a matter of deducting 54m a year to get x amount. Rights payments arent made evenly, and i doubt deductions were applied evenly either.

And as repeatedly noted the AFL specifically says it received a 29m increase in broadcasting fees in 2022. Not to mention this includes Radio and AFL Media revenue, but that would be deducted from the figures,

No idea, buts in the annual report in black and white on page 159.

1679033605412.png

It looks like to me that you deliberately underplay these amounts.. Always give leeway to the AFL and heckle over the amounts of the NRL.

Im literally producing the figures in the reports. And thats it.

Just finishing the NRL did win the broadcaster only amount unless you supply me good info.

You dont know what the NRL received for broadcast revenue in any of these years.
You dont know the breakdowns for licencing at all.
You dont know where your digital revenue is.
The merch and wagering data you are making assumptions off is 3 years old, and even then may be incomplete.

Wb1234

Referee
With nine extending the union for a few more years it really means the nrl ideally should go to ten to get clear air

the goal of the next tv deal on top of dollars is to see one of the current Aussie broadcasters lose the rights

docbrown

Coach
With nine extending the union for a few more years it really means the nrl ideally should go to ten to get clear air

the goal of the next tv deal on top of dollars is to see one of the current Aussie broadcasters lose the rights
The NRL still does get clear air because next to nobody is watching Super Rugby lol.

But I agree, a new broadcaster won’t be as complacent about its rugby league coverage.

Wb1234

Referee
The NRL still does get clear air because next to nobody is watching Super Rugby lol.

But I agree, a new broadcaster won’t be as complacent about its rugby league coverage.
They made vlandys give them a covid reduction which they used to pay to union

Colk

First Grade
I don’t think anyone should be surprised by that. Whether or not they get that 9-Stan exclusivity is a different matter and will come down to $$$.

It’s unlikely to happen. Considering the pitiful amount they spent on the game last time do you think that they are really going to spend 4 or 5 times that amount?

docbrown

Coach
It’s unlikely to happen. Considering the pitiful amount they spent on the game last time do you think that they are really going to spend 4 or 5 times that amount?
I‘lol put it to you this way. Executives at all three networks (7, 9 and 10) generally think that one of them (mostly likely 10) won’t exist in 15 years. That’s how important streaming is to the networks.

Wb1234

Referee
They bid 3 billion for fumbleball

500 million pa for nrl would still be a good increase on the 430 million we get now and then fox would be forced to counter

Perth Red

Post Whore
Certainly sounds like it!

Fordham: “Our aim now is that any sports rights deal we do is all rights, all platforms, and exclusive where we can. We house those across linear channels, our streaming channels with 9Now, our subscription streaming platform Stan, radio, and mastheads.

“That is what we’ve done with the Olympics – the Olympics deal is all rights, all platforms. Our Australian Open tennis deal is all rights, all platforms. Rugby League is probably the only deal at the moment in our stable that isn’t all rights, all platforms – but in saying that, when the last subscription rights deal was done for rugby league, Stan Sport didn’t exist. I would say it’s definitely something we’ll look at for 2028.”

Wb1234

Referee
Certainly sounds like it!

Fordham: “Our aim now is that any sports rights deal we do is all rights, all platforms, and exclusive where we can. We house those across linear channels, our streaming channels with 9Now, our subscription streaming platform Stan, radio, and mastheads.

“That is what we’ve done with the Olympics – the Olympics deal is all rights, all platforms. Our Australian Open tennis deal is all rights, all platforms. Rugby League is probably the only deal at the moment in our stable that isn’t all rights, all platforms – but in saying that, when the last subscription rights deal was done for rugby league, Stan Sport didn’t exist. I would say it’s definitely something we’ll look at for 2028.”
I was looking for the exact quote

so stan is bidding against foxtel

having nine having all the games will suck big time though

Colk

First Grade
I‘lol put it to you this way. Executives at all three networks (7, 9 and 10) generally think that one of them (mostly likely 10) won’t exist in 15 years. That’s how important streaming is to the networks.

I get your argument but Nine don’t value the game. Never have and never will. They have essentially bid more for fumbleball than they have for league every chance they have had.

If Channel Nine get it again (either the whole thing or part of it) that’s bad news for the game as it means that they haven’t got the competitive tension that they have hoped for

Colk

First Grade
They bid 3 billion for fumbleball

500 million pa for nrl would still be a good increase on the 430 million we get now and then fox would be forced to counter

Case in point.

Perhaps they will, perhaps they won’t. I would strongly bet on the latter based on their history.

Colk

First Grade
I was looking for the exact quote

so stan is bidding against foxtel

having nine having all the games will suck big time though

It would suck dramatically. They are the most backwards organisation in the world and our game will severely stagnant if they have full rights.

The best hope is Paramount. They are the ones who will be really desperate.

docbrown

Coach
I get your argument but Nine don’t value the game. Never have and never will. They have essentially bid more for fumbleball than they have for league every chance they have had.

If Channel Nine get it again (either the whole thing or part of it) that’s bad news for the game as it means that they haven’t got the competitive tension that they have hoped for
I’m no cheerleader for 9 but the more bidders for the whole rights package there are, the more the NRL can start dictating terms about expecting quality standards.

Colk

First Grade
I’m no cheerleader for 9 but the more bidders for the whole rights package there are, the more the NRL can start dictating terms about expecting quality standards.

Maybe. I think if Channel Nine get it for example, you will get three new Queensland teams (because that’s the only market they see) and a max deal barely more than what you are getting now.

That wouldn’t be a good result for the game.

If the result were different I’ll gladly welcome them as our new overlords