What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next TV rights deal part 2

Are you happy with the new TV deal?

• Total voters

Desert Qlder

First Grade
You have to laugh at the AFL signing a 6 year deal with Fox when SVOD are gaining strength and popularity, and it's cheaper than Foxtel's model

The AFL clearly saw the dollar signs and the chance to grab the headlines.

It was so obvious in the way it played out. Caroline Wilson was given the leak and away she went with terms like 'legacy deal'.

If a scenario like the NRL signing with Optus/ESPN was to occur, then they find themselves with a luxury suite on a sinking ship.

Until 2023 :lol:.

Last Week

Bench
You have to laugh at the AFL signing a 6 year deal with Fox when SVOD are gaining strength and popularity, and it's cheaper than Foxtel's model

Don't get ahead of yourself. There's nothing to suggest that the AFL didn't push News for all they could. Their talks were kept very quiet just like ours. Only difference is that News media are commenting heaps on ours in a negative light.

The AFL got a great deal for them. We don't and can't really compare our deal against there's as there are heaps of variables. What we can do is use their deal as a gauge for how much the broadcasters are willing to spend for certain content. We can't compare the whole deals against each other. Individual aspects of the deals yeah, but must also take in to consideration the scale differences of things. Such as ad breaks, length of broadcast, ratings, demographic targets, social media followers, broadcasting events, etc etc.

gUt

Coach
I wonder what David Gallop thinks about all of this.

ummm aaaaarrrgh

028052-david-gallop.jpg

heights

Juniors
Let me tell you I hope that bozo from the Storm manages better than he talks. That was two minutes of complete dribble when asked about the TV rights.

Surely someone in his position should be able to deliver a more informed and articulate response than that.

I wonder what David Gallop thinks about all of this.

ummm aaaaarrrgh

I read one press report that said Gallop persuaded the powers that be in the A League to sign a TV deal with Fox Sports so that they could "ride on the coat tails of their coverage of the English Premiers League". Doesn't that look so good now eh :lol:

Flapper

First Grade
They weren't even doing that, they only tuned in for the EPL after the A League games were finished :lol:

LESStar58

Referee
How News must regret paying overs for fumbleball just to try and make a point.
We know News lackies read these pages, so i have a message for them.
"Tell your yank boss that if he wants to keep the NRL on Fox he's going to have to pay us our worth"

Change the record, fella. Please.

LESStar58

Referee
Let me tell you I hope that bozo from the Storm manages better than he talks. That was two minutes of complete dribble when asked about the TV rights.

Surely someone in his position should be able to deliver a more informed and articulate response than that.

Ex-News employee, mate. Still a bit of vested interest there I think and he runs the club I support!

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
I read one press report that said Gallop persuaded the powers that be in the A League to sign a TV deal with Fox Sports so that they could "ride on the coat tails of their coverage of the English Premiers League". Doesn't that look so good now eh :lol:

He was just doing news' bidding as he always has.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
"Looks like Smith and the commission were ahead of the curve".
Which begs the question for me as to why Dave Smith really left.

It proves the "he was pushed" theory is bullshit...

So, either, her felt he had done all he could do and wanted to pass it on to the next person, or he got sick of the abuse and wanted to leave before he had a pulmonary.

elbusto

Coach
It proves the "he was pushed" theory is bullshit...

So, either, her felt he had done all he could do and wanted to pass it on to the next person, or he got sick of the abuse and wanted to leave before he had a pulmonary.

The former. He has done his job. Time to go. And a job well done

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
he was pushed...

no way you would leave half way through a rights deal.. and he could of taken like 6 weeks off till xmas as off season, flown back to wales come back in January and really stitch up rupert..

Bronco18

Juniors
Yeah he was pushed, perhaps a better expression would be "fell on his sword" as he got the NRL into a seemingly strong position.

colly

Juniors
What does this do the negotiations? As Optus said regarding EPL deal , we wont discuss....their are formats to broadcast.....haven't be seen yet.
As i said before 3G LTE broadcast is now commercially operating in South Korea

http://www.telecomasia.net/content/leading-pack-embms

So Optus or Vodafone will be broadcasting HD TV before long.. FACT, unless they dont wont to slowly go out of business. imagine Wenesday night ... nothing good on telly reruns the block... Lets watch Optus telly/VOD This is the future.

applesauce

Bench
News Corp CEO Robert Thomson plays down English Premier League rights loss

News Corporation chief executive Robert Thomson has played down Fox Sports' loss of English Premier League rights to Optus and questioned the value of the world's most famous football league.

Fox Sports, which is owned by News Corp, earlier this week lost the battle for the Australian rights to England's top flight football league.

Optus secured broadcast and digital rights to the Premier League for $US45 million ($63 million) per annum for three years, starting with the 2016-2017 season.

It is understood that the bid was significantly higher than the offer lodged by Fox Sports.
Mr Thomson, commenting during the presentation of News Corp's first-quarter results, defended the decision not to outbid Optus.

"You can buy any right as long as you're prepared to pay any price. But, sometimes, by our reckoning, any price is not appropriate for us or our shareholders," Mr Thomson said.
"There are some EPL fans in Australia, there's no doubt about that, but we're certainly not talking about prime time. The 3pm kickoff in UK is 2am in Australia. "

Fox Sports has been criticised for the loss of the Premier League, although it is not yet known how it will impact subscriber numbers.

"Hardcore fans of anything in Australia are called tragics, but the sweet spot for EPL at 2 in the morning [is]: tragics are insomniacs," Mr Thomson said.

"You might have noticed yesterday, Bayern Munich beat Arsenal 5-1 in the Champions League which may be itself an indictment of the value of the Premier League."

Arsenal is currently tied for first place in the Premier League, while Bayern Munich sits on top of Germany's Bundesliga. Bayern has won the last three Bundesliga titles and has won the league 25 times. It also won the Champions League in 2013.

LESStar58

Referee
News Corporation chief executive Robert Thomson has played down Fox Sports' loss of English Premier League rights to Optus and questioned the value of the world's most famous football league.

News will go the way of HIH with this sort of arrogance.

Thomson is on record as being a card carrying Essendon member and AFL tragic. Anyone who is a dyed in the wool AFL cult member is generally ignorant of anything outside the southern and western states.

Perth Red

Post Whore
You might have noticed yesterday, Bayern Munich beat Arsenal 5-1 in the Champions League which may be itself an indictment of the value of the Premier League."

Arsenal is currently tied for first place in the Premier League, while Bayern Munich sits on top of Germany's Bundesliga. Bayern has won the last three Bundesliga titles and has won the league 25 times. It also won the Champions League in 2013.

Haha now that's drawing a long bow! Questioning the value of one of the biggest competitions in world sport on one game result lol.